No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If his salary is the vet minimum.....then he’ll only count 480k (plus prorated SB). It’s only 300k savings....but still.

Comment

• Funny sh!t...
      If the Lions want to trade, here are 3 possibilities to explore

The Lions and Cardinals swapped salary-cap gurus this spring, creating some familiarity between the two and their respective contracts. Perhaps they could swap Jones for All-Pro cornerback Patrick Peterson as well as swapping Day 3 picks. Peterson has mentioned trade possibilities in the past, and as a 28-year-old All-Pro, he could join Darius Slay and incomer Justin Coleman to form one of the very best cornerback tandems in the NFL. With 23 career interceptions, Peterson would also join Coleman and Trey Flowers in bringing the defensive playmaking the Lions have been searching for this offseason.
      Sure, they do that for a Day 3 pick

If the Lions can find a backup running back who can run, catch passes and pass protect all adequately, they can more comfortably run the adaptable offense they're looking for. Duke Johnson of the Browns would be a clear upgrade to Riddick in rushing and receiving while being 2.5 years younger. Despite his 5.0 yards per carry and 429 receiving yards last season, he's likely getting buried in Cleveland as a runner with the addition of Kareem Hunt and as a receiver with the acquisition of Odell Beckham Jr.
      NYJ were rumored to be looking to move/release I. Crowell if they got Bell. Crowell was playing ahead of Duke and matches up better with what we want from our RBs. And Crowell's cap hit for us would be $3 mil/yr. Riddick is slated to cost the Lions $4.69 mil/yr this year.

The Buccaneers are tight against the salary cap and have a new coach in Bruce Arians who doesn't use tight ends in the passing game as much. With O.J. Howard as the top option, the Buccaneers should be open to trading Cameron Brate. In fact, his contract is built to incentivize that, as his bonus has already been paid out and he's just due straight salaries averaging just less than $7 million a year over the next five. He also has no dead cap, making him no risk on any team that acquires him.

Brate, 27, would instantly become the Lions' top tight end. He's averaged 513 yards a season over the past three years, and most importantly, he has scored 20 touchdowns in that span, offering a clear area he improves the team over James.

The Lions are probably going to the draft for a tight end, but they could still do that with Brate, just later than planned. He'd instantly become the team's best short-range option, and it's worth wondering if he could be had for a Day 3 pick.
      I breached this earlier. But, with James in hand it makes no sense. I like Brate. Just not at that price with James in hand.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• They said Jones and a day 3 pick.....but I still doubt they do this due to a cap-guy switching teams.

Comment

• See that all of the unsigned players on the 2018 Lions remain unsigned.
          Nobody wants Blount? Shocking, really.
          AAL 2018 - Teez Tabor

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
            They said Jones and a day 3 pick.....but I still doubt they do this due to a cap-guy switching teams.
            C'mon, you know who's really pushing the strings
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Scouting report on J. James:

https://www.scoutingacademy.com/2019FATE

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                Scouting report on J. James:

https://www.scoutingacademy.com/2019FATE
                The scouting academy needs to work on their summary section. Its great info but the presentation is shit.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

The scouting academy needs to work on their summary section. Its great info but the presentation is shit.
                  Yeah man. Reading that write up was painful. That's one huge paragraph

Comment

• Check out Trey Flowers, other free agents officially signing their Lions contracts

Comment

• No thanks. Now if they're signing donation checks made out to my name, I'd be down. 🤑
                      SHOW me, don't TELL me. Still waiting....

Comment

• It’s a shame the Lions didn’t manage to re-sign Tate. He’s better than Amendola and went for 8.5 million/y over 4 years. Doesn’t rely on straight line speed so should age better than a Tyreek Hill type of receiver.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Quinn offered more than what he’s ended up with in New York and that franchise looks a total mess at the moment. He said he wanted to sign for a team in “win now” mode and that isn’t the Giants.

Comment

• Tate went to the team that offered him the most money, plain and simple.
                          The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.

Comment

• Tate bet on himself and lost more then he thought

Comment

• Jesse James trades drama for big money

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2019, 6:21 AM EDT
                              Getty Images

Former Steelers tight end Jesse James says he’s glad to be away from all the drama in Pittsburgh. Getting paid a ton of money helps, too.

The player who caught only 30 passes and started only seven games last year ended up with a four-year, $22.6 million deal in Detroit. The details are as follows, per a source with knowledge of the transaction:

1. Signing bonus: $7.145 million.

2. 2019 base salary: $805,000 fully guaranteed.

3. 2020 base salary: $3.8 million, $2.55 million of which is fully guaranteed.

4. 2021 base salary: $4.95 million.

5. 2022 base salary: $5.7 million.

6. 2019-2022 workout bonuses: $50,000.

The deal includes a fifth year at a salary of $5.9 million, but the contract voids if James is still on the roster on the fifth day after the Super Bowl to end the 2022 season. The phony year bumps the perceived annual average from $5.65 million to $5.7 million. But, again, it’s a phony year; the real average is $5.65 million.

The deal also included up to $1.2 million in escalators for 2021 and 2022, based on playing time, catches, receiving yards, and touchdowns.

James was largely supplanted by Vance McDonald last year in Pittsburgh, with McDonald starting nine of the team’s 16 games.

Comment

• Jesse James “glad to get away” from Steelers drama

Posted by Josh Alper on March 14, 2019, 6:28 PM EDT

Getty Images

After the end of the Steelers’ 2018 season, tight end Jesse James compared the drama that enveloped the team over the course of the year to something one might see on a TV show starring the Kardashians and the topic came up at his first press conference as a member of the Lions.

James said he enjoyed his time playing for the Steelers, but admitted to being “glad to get away” from the drama. He added that the Antonio Brown trade “had to happen” because things were “out of control” by the end of the season.

That’s in James’ past and he also talked about what’s to come in the future. He said he felt he had some success offensively with the Steelers, but thought his role and his production will be bigger now that he’s in Detroit.

“I think it could have been better,” James said, via the Detroit News. “Offensively, I wasn’t used the way I feel I could be used here. I feel like my ceiling is much higher here than it was in the past.”

The Lions talked a lot about getting better at tight end this season and James was the player they chose to lead that effort. That should give him plenty of opportunities to make good on his feeling that he can do more than he did in Pittsburgh.

Comment

Working...
                                X