No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did forget Glover and in fact, the Lions letting him go was one of the reasons Barry retired early.

Lomas was also lowballed and deserves to be on that list.

I don't think any of the fans were blaming any of these players for not winning. I don't think anyone in Management was blaming them for not winning thus forcing them to walk.

It was always about money. The player was in position to finally get rewarded with their contract and the Lions money men were always offering just a bit below market price.

While I really liked Jerry Ball, the Guv lost a step and commanded more than he would have been capable of delivering. He wanted to be paid for what he had already done (which I do not blame him) but was not capable of delivering the same level of production for the duration of the next contract. Pretty sure the FO was right on this one.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post

Hmmmmmm. I recall Mike Compton, Jeff Hartings, and Cliff Avril resembling that remark. 2 OL 1 DL. Not sure if there are more guys but, the criteria I am using is getting to a SB (you have to win to get there).

Compton was the most versatile OL we had and they treated him like a backup. He played most games but, he was shuffled around and they were always looking for the permanent replacement wherever he played. He got lowballed and went to NE. No surprise about winning there.

Hartings was always a starter and he was also getting to the contract that he deserved to get paid. He got lowballed also. Went to Pittsburgh. No surprise about winning there.

Avril was also coming up to the contract where he was supposed to get paid. He had injury issues prior to his contract year but played well in his contract year. He was also lowballed but many fans felt his injury history did not warrant the contract he sought. He went to Seattle.

Common theme. Lowballed when they were in line to get paid.

It took several years to replace each one of them because the FO did not value the service they really provided.
      interesting take ... I'll bet you also complain about guys getting overpaid as well. Lions were in cap hell for a long time, wonder why? Certainly isn't because they have a lot of players getting paid. Front office for years have made stupid choices, but underpaying their players really isn't one of them. Not for a long time anyway.
      Forever One!

Comment

Marvin Jones on NFLN's morning show just now, brushes off the "lost his players" story, saying "it's football, we run in practice."

Then says "I don't know who's grandma wrote that story, but..."

Comment

Thought that story about Patricia was made up by a dumbassed media person using it as clickbait.
          $$$
          AAL 2018 - Teez Tabor

Comment

Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
            Marvin Jones on NFLN's morning show just now, brushes off the "lost his players" story, saying "it's football, we run in practice."

Then says "I don't know who's grandma wrote that story, but..."
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

A really good read by a sportswriter for the Freep who actually does his job:

The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by FVD View Post
                A really good read by a sportswriter for the Freep who actually does his job:

doesn't matter ... Stafford is the QB and Patricia has already lost the team.
                Forever One!

Comment

Inside sources have confirmed that

hahahahaha
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

plus he's a sex predator.

Comment

Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                      I did forget Glover and in fact, the Lions letting him go was one of the reasons Barry retired early.

Lomas was also lowballed and deserves to be on that list.

I don't think any of the fans were blaming any of these players for not winning. I don't think anyone in Management was blaming them for not winning thus forcing them to walk.

It was always about money. The player was in position to finally get rewarded with their contract and the Lions money men were always offering just a bit below market price.

While I really liked Jerry Ball, the Guv lost a step and commanded more than he would have been capable of delivering. He wanted to be paid for what he had already done (which I do not blame him) but was not capable of delivering the same level of production for the duration of the next contract. Pretty sure the FO was right on this one.
                      Jerry Ball had his 4 most productive years in the four years following his departure from Detroit. Barry leaving because Detroit let Glover go is a myth.

Lomas Brown was never low-balled - he was never offered a long term contract. The Lions would only sign him to one year contracts - that's why he left.
                      Last edited by dwt1; June 14th, 2018, 05:47 PM.
                      Vote for Freedom not for Free Things

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"

Comment

The article really shows Quinn's philosophy in his draft and free agent signings. Less emphasis on the defensive line and more emphasis on the linebackers and secondary. He's been building this defense to fit what Patricia likes to do.
                        The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.

Comment

CB Nevin Lawson says Darius Slay sets a high standard for the entire Lions secondary.
                          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                              Inside sources have confirmed that

hahahahaha
                              And the results of the season will validate it......once again.
                              Vote for Freedom not for Free Things

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"

Comment

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/...tthew-stafford
                                What if the Lions drafted Mark Sanchez instead of Matthew Stafford?

Comment

Working...
                                X