Announcement

Collapse

Please support the forum

As you shop this holiday season, please remember to use the forum's Amazon.com link (listed in the menu as "Amazon Link") to add items to your cart and purchase them. The forum gets a small commission from every item sold and the commission increases based on the number of items sold in a month. (So even buying a 99 cent MP3 helps!) Bonus this year: Amazon has announced FREE SHIPPING through the holidays!!

Additionally, the forum gets a "bounty" for various offers at Amazon.com. For instance, if you sign up for a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime, the forum will earn $3. If you create a wedding or baby registry, the forum earns $3. And creating an Amazon Business account will send a $15 commission our way.

Your personal information is completely private, I only get a list of items that were ordered/shipped via the link, no names or locations or anything. This does not cost you anything extra and it helps pays the operating costs of this forum which continue to go up as our commissions have gone down. Thank you for your support and happy holidays!! --Deborah

Here is the link:
Click here to shop at Amazon.com
See more
See less

US teams and the franchise system....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US teams and the franchise system....

Was just reading about practice and some Raiders fans getting loud to the Lions coaching staff and it got me thinking.

The Raiders, Raider Nation and the black hole have been amongst the most notorious fanbases in the NFL. I know they have previously moved to LA and have had league approval to go to Vegas. As a relative outsider, it seems strange and a bit sad that one of the most vociferous fanbases would make way for a crowd that could comprise of a lot of daytrippers and holiday makers in Nevada.

Do most fans stay following the team from San Diego to LA etc? What about if the Jags came to London?

It’s something that is quite hard to understand in the UK as it happens so rarely and there is complete outrage on the odd occasion it is suggested or happens.

One of the reasons a franchise moves is because their community is not supporting them. Unfortunately by todays standards, supporting them means building their crib on the taxpayers dime. NFL Franchises have relocated for numerous reasons but most often it is because the ownership wants a new crib.

With that said, many fans will stay fans for life or until they get so disgusted with the performances, then,they look elsewhere. It is true that most fans are local but not entirely. NFL is not worried about the fan as much as the dollar.

My guess would be if the Jags move to London, the local fan base will diminish buy about 75% or more.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

I was raised a Rams fan near Los Angeles and in my own back yard of Anaheim, CA (near Disneyland). When the owner was killed by his (at the time) 6x divorced, murderous wife, whom promptly and purposely drove the team into the ground so she could move it to St. Louis, I dumped them before they dumped me. That's how I became a Lions fan (NFC football was the better conference back then for my entertainment).

In short, your 75% assumption is about correct. That's about the level of San Diego Charger fans that disowned the now Los Angeles Chargers (even though that's where they started).

Faider fans are just weird. And yes, the Vegas Faiders will have a lot more lookie loos at their games instead of their home base fans (supply and demand).
      Last edited by Panoptes; August 9th, 2018, 01:30 PM.
      SHOW me, don't TELL me. Still waiting....

Comment

The Raiders moving to Vegas was a pure money grab. Al Davis died, and his rube of a son got a sweetheart deal along with a new stadium to move his team there. They don't give a flying fuck about the fanbase.

People in San Diego now have nothing to do with the Chargers, who moved to LA because San Diego wouldn't build a new stadium for them. I feel a majority of NFL fans who team moved away will divorce themselves from that team
        The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.

Comment

I know the Jags are possibly the smallest market team and the vultures have been circling a bit over there, but London would really make sense for them and it would probably double the value of the team. It just seems a bit sad that a team like the Raiders with the notorious history of the fanbase will be uprooted to be replaced by a load of Vegas day trippers.

Comment

London (or any city in Europe) is not getting an NFL franchise. The logistics don't work, players won't want to play/live there and there won't be enough support to sustain long term.
            The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.

Comment

Here is what the NFL is looking at.......and bear in mind, they are only interested in $$$$ not fans of the game.

Putting an NFL franchise on the other side of the pond would be a big mistake. Not because it would not be popular in London for the single franchise but rather it would be a dread for 8 teams that will have to make the trip each year.

The games that have been played in London have received additional compensation from the NFL to cover their costs of travel. I am not sure the NFL wants to continue to subsidize the jumps across the pond.

Comment

The NFL has already indicated they are actively working to settle on some international addresses, with Toronto, London and Mexico being high on the list. When that happens is anyones guess but it's a real issue being discussed.

Just one of many articles on the matter: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/top-5-...025847559.html
                Last edited by Panoptes; August 9th, 2018, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Mexico or Canada would be a more likely choice for International expansion. It would allow fans from boarder States that either have no franchise or disenchanted with their current one to become fans and allow easier travel for away games.
                  Last edited by Malto Marko; August 9th, 2018, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FVD View Post
                    London (or any city in Europe) is not getting an NFL franchise. The logistics don't work, players won't want to play/live there and there won't be enough support to sustain long term.
                    If money talks in the movement of franchises then a London one will happen. London would sell out every game, every season even though it is still very much a minority sport. You're talking about a city of 10 million and almost all NFL fans in a country of 60 million accessible within a few hours.

Goodell has already held talks with the government and London has one of the biggest economies on earth. Khan also has strong links to London through his ownership of Fulham FC.

IF it's all about the money. If it's not, then it won't.

Comment

It is not a question of selling out your stadium.

It is TV revenue that drives the golden goose.

The disrespect for the National Anthem has disinfranchised a lot of fans.

The gate from a team over the pond can not subsidize both sides of the pond.

It is true a new revenue stream will open with TV revenues from International contests but I do not see the fans of a new franchise signing up for a subscription to be able to see all of the games. Local coverage would be remote and it would require National coverage in another country.

.....and FYI. None of the NFL franchises require the gate to be successful. The gate is gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                        It is not a question of selling out your stadium.

It is TV revenue that drives the golden goose.

The disrespect for the National Anthem has disinfranchised a lot of fans.

The gate from a team over the pond can not subsidize both sides of the pond.

It is true a new revenue stream will open with TV revenues from International contests but I do not see the fans of a new franchise signing up for a subscription to be able to see all of the games. Local coverage would be remote and it would require National coverage in another country.

.....and FYI. None of the NFL franchises require the gate to be successful. The gate is gravy.
                        Merchandising would increase exponentially (overseas). Money talks.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post

Merchandising would increase exponentially (overseas). Money talks.
                          Indeed. However, the amount of revenue needed for a 5 year projection may fall well short of expectations.

Comment

Wanted to get close to the action when Detroit came to Wembley so priced the really good seats. One thousand quid! Thought, fk that. Shove their sport up their arse.

But let’s say the average ticket price is around £250. Wembley stadium capacity is 90,000.

That’s £22,500,000.

And of the 90,000, 40,000 are going to spend £30 on merchandise.

That’s £1,200,000

And of the 90,000, 75,000 fat bastards are going to average £15 at the pie stall.

That’s £1,125,000.

Totalling £24,825,000 per game.

8 times.

£198,600,000 for the London season?

So, no. Wouldn’t work. Mediocre Matt alone wouldn’t get out his bed for that shitpence!

Comment

Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                              Wanted to get close to the action when Detroit came to Wembley so priced the really good seats. One thousand quid! Thought, fk that. Shove their sport up their arse.

But let’s say the average ticket price is around £250. Wembley stadium capacity is 90,000.

That’s £22,500,000.

And of the 90,000, 40,000 are going to spend £30 on merchandise.

That’s £1,200,000

And of the 90,000, 75,000 fat bastards are going to average £15 at the pie stall.

That’s £1,125,000.

Totalling £24,825,000 per game.

8 times.

£198,600,000 for the London season?

So, no. Wouldn’t work. Mediocre Matt alone wouldn’t get out his bed for that shitpence!
                              Tickets can be a fair bit cheaper than that I think. I got good seats for the Rams v Cardinals game at Twickenham at the last minute for face value of around £50.

Comment

Working...
                              X