No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTW, if you're REALLY geeky, you may be interested in purchasing a copy of Vista that is signed by Bill Gates:

#birdsarentreal

Comment

• heh...
      Attached Files
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• I installed Vista Ultimate last night. Overall a pretty painless experience. Wow, it is really NICE. Very pretty.
        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Yeah? it's worth it then?
          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• methinks I'll wait until the first service release.....I also have waaaaay to much on my current build of XP. Reinstallation of all my crap will take a weekend ....
            Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Slif, we all have different priorities so I can't quite answer your question. It's worth it for me, but I'm a geek and enjoy investigating these things lol. It might be more of a pain in the ass to someone like you, I don't know.
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• IE7 is smokin' fast in Vista, btw. It was really starting to annoy me in XP, but now it seems very natural and speedy.

I'm still trying to find a Vista-compatible firewall. The built-in one is better than the one in XP, but that's not saying a whole lot. Let me know if anyone runs across a stand alone firewall that works in Vista!
                #birdsarentreal

Comment

• my puter keeps shutting down, finally saw a message that said cpu overheating.. must be the dang fan. would it help to blow out the whole thing with some air or do i need to look at replacing the cooling fan
                  If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• if the overheating just started and it worked fine before that, I'd guess that it just needs a cleaning to clear out the vents.
                    "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• Make sure the fan still works. If so, yeah just cleaning it may help enough. Also make sure it is in a ventilated area.
                      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Deb - do you not use a router?
                        Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Yep, Coop. The router does not stop rogue apps from phoning home, a firewall does.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• most have built in firewalls - but I'm guessing you're looking at specifically outbound port monitoring?
                            Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Again, a router can not distinguish whether the outgoing traffic is something you intiated or not. A firewall can. If your pirated copy of Photoshop wants to phone home to Adobe and you don't have a firewall running, it will phone home. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how a router would know to stop that.
                              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by THE STEE View Post
                                my puter keeps shutting down, finally saw a message that said cpu overheating.. must be the dang fan. would it help to blow out the whole thing with some air or do i need to look at replacing the cooling fan
                                or you can just let it crash and then it will cool naturally

Comment

Working...
                                X