No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of my vids are .MOV, but a couple of them were .WMV. My sister wasn't able to see them with her iPad's native player. But this app will play them:

‎A Powerful Media Player which you can use to play various video & audio formats not supported by your Apple device. Supporting files such as; asf, divx, flv, m2ts, mpeg, mpg, mkv, mov, mp4, mp3, mss2, wma, wmv, xvid & more! Also supporting the smooth playing of files in HD (720) and FullHD (1080p),…
    The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• The camcorder saves the files as Sony's m2ts file type. For whatever reason, my dad says that because he doesn't have a program that can read it the mycloud server won't let him download it to his computer. If he could do that, he would be able to convert the file himself.
      2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• huh - seems like you should be able to get around that download restriction. I've never even heard of an m2ts. That's my biggest problem with Sony, all of their non-standard and proprietary stuff. Who wants a file format that requires a special viewer, or a ton of time wasted converting?
        The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Decisions, decisions. Deciding to upgrade, not sure if I want desktop or laptop yet. Pretty sure I am going with Windows 8. Somebody push me off the fence, please.
          "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• It would be challenging for anyone to push you in the right direction without knowing a lot more information. Do you prefer using your computer at one place (i.e. a desk)? Or would you like the ability to be mobile and use it anywhere? Do you like having a full keyboard or do you think you can adjust to the compressed keyboard that a laptop has? What are the reasons you're considering a laptop? What are the reasons you're considering a desktop?

For me, I much prefer to have a fixed place for my computer with a nice big ergonomic keyboard and dual wide-screen monitors. When I use my laptop (a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook that I do love), it's for brief tasks. My laptop supplements my desktop, it doesn't replace it. But I imagine that my computer usage is much different than yours.
            #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Well, Deb, I am old school, so that has me leaning towards the desktop. I do like the ability of a laptop that goes with me, but if I do get a laptop it'll probably just sit at my computer desk anyway. I am kinda like Malto Mark in that, I don't really like the compressed keyboard. Conventional keyboards are Sharkbait friendly. Not worried about the OS, I have had XP since 2002, but I am savy enough to figure out everything out there I have seen so far. I really like my compaq but change is necessary. Pretty sure i will end up with a desktop but the convenience of a laptop is tempting. Better sleep on it.
              "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
                Decisions, decisions. Deciding to upgrade, not sure if I want desktop or laptop yet. Pretty sure I am going with Windows 8. Somebody push me off the fence, please.
                If it helps, I have switched from a desktop to a laptop.

I am getting used to the keyboard and am going to enjoy being able to move around which everyone else in my house can do but, I could not using a desktop.

Not that my house is big, but sometime being able to move to another room and still stay online, is huge.

I suggest Windows 8.1 especially if you use a calculator. I use mine all the time.

It didn't take me long to learn how to use it and I am liking the way I can customize it for my preferences.
                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Another thing I use to supplement my desktop is my (fairly inexpensive) Kindle Fire. You might consider that (or another tablet) in addition to getting your desktop. That way you have a mobile solution for surfing, posting to the forum, etc. but still have a rockin' desktop too.
                  #birdsarentreal

Comment

• ^ True!

Comment

• speaking of rocking, I was amazed at the sound I got out od a bluetooth nano speaker. I took it and my ipad on my patio and that little thing put out a lot of sound! Not bad for something 2"x2"
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
                        Decisions, decisions. Deciding to upgrade, not sure if I want desktop or laptop yet. Pretty sure I am going with Windows 8. Somebody push me off the fence, please.
                        My friend, you know I would not steer you wrong. Take my extensive research results and recommendation that this powerful unit is your quality desktop replacement and is future proofed tech wise for a good while:

Microcenter.com has the best deals on Laptops, Notebooks, 2-in-1 Laptops, from all the brands you love such as HP, Acer, Dell, Lenovo, and more all available at your local Micro Center Computer Store!

I'm digging on this less than 1 month old unit now and more with every passing day.

I'll be happy to answer any questions. Just ask.
                        Last edited by Panoptes; April 2, 2014, 09:24 PM.
                        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• is Bluetooth integrated?
                          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• BT 4.0 is built in.

There are only 3 things I would upgrade if possible and they may not matter to others:

NFC ready
                            Blu-ray reader/writer
                            7200 RPM drives or SSD's (it is fast enough for me right now though)
                            Specs:

Microcenter.com has the best deals on Laptops, Notebooks, 2-in-1 Laptops, from all the brands you love such as HP, Acer, Dell, Lenovo, and more all available at your local Micro Center Computer Store!
                            Last edited by Panoptes; April 2, 2014, 04:17 PM.
                            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• This is the one I am currently rocking......

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7O3VI0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: HP Envy 17-j130us 17.3-Inch Touchsmart Laptop with Beats Audio: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41D--NfrGgL.@@AMEPARAM@@41D--NfrGgL[/ame]

Comment

• That's a nice machine for the price, gonzorilla

Comment

Working...
                                X