X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dpatnod - keep me posted on how you feel about going to 7
    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• It seemed for a while that Microsoft had a good OS every other one.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• ^ believe I talked about that...
        Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
          dpatnod - keep me posted on how you feel about going to 7
          My machine at work is 7 PROF. Coop, so it is not like I am going into something unknown. Of course I use very different software at home, so compatability of software and hardware is the only thing that might give me much grief.

7 seems pretty "normal" to me as a long-time XP user/builder.

Vista always seemed weird.

My "multimedia" PC, built into a PVR so I could see all of last year's games (ugh) has pretty effectively been replaced in the last year by an antenna-compatible non-TIVO DVR device called a TIVX, and a new ONKYO receiver with onboard network capabilities (both wired and wifi) such as network stored files, usb, pandora. And I could probably just use my xbox360 for YouTube if I wanted. Just always found it easier to VNC to my other computer to pop in an online video or movie on my television, while I can still check out ebay, or research whatever project I am on, or read people's opinions on Suh's value on my main PC. That is when my antenna can't pull in anything worth watching or having on in the background.

I am curious to see what hardware will not work on these older machines, like my PVR in 7. Of course all of my cards in the older machines will not fit in the new ones - low profile. But I might try to install 7 on the older machines just to see how they handle it. I feel like I was forced into a move because of XP support ending and not because I felt need for any better hardware. Its just that used machines with 7 were cheaper than 3 licenses for Windows 7. Or God-forbid Windows 8 of some flavor.
          Last edited by dpatnod; April 11, 2014, 10:07 PM.
          Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
            Maybe they are not buying it because they are like me. I am in the middle of replacing 3 XP machines in my house, and am updating to new (to me) machines that came with 7. At least I leap-frogged Vista altogether.
            Sad thing is, my hardware does everything I need, and I had no real inclination to move up, but had to finally make a change because of the death of XP. I for one loved XP.
            My XP machines would not take a 7 upgrade. We have three other laptops in the house that all run on 7 and Mrs. Malto and the kids love it. I am the only one running 8 and I did not find the jump from XP to 8 to be all that difficult.

I am having a more difficult time getting used to the soft keyboard and the jumping of the cursor due to touch. I tried to disable touch but was unsuccessful but admittedly, only spent a few minutes trying as I thought it was just a matter of doing a few clicks. Well, I did a few clicks but guess they weren't the right ones so maybe tomorrow when I am playing around learning a new program to build my new web page, I will take a bit more time to get it done.
            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I found a neat program for my android tablet (works on ipad too) called onlive desktop that serves up a remote desktop session of Windows 7 to your tablet including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and 2 gig of storage. It's like having Windows 7 running right on your tablet and all for free. They do have a premium service that adds features for $4.99 a month. Definitely give this a and recommend playing around with it. Only downside is you do need to be online with the table for it to work.

[ame]http://youtu.be/QgUFxkn725c[/ame]
              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• I bought a Surface Pro because I wanted something that would give me the laptop/tablet combo along with a stylus and high resolution screen for note taking. Combined with OneNote it's a sweet set up for taking notes, and highlighting doc's. Fun stuff.

What has not been fun is coming up to speed with Win8. Hate it. I can't find anything, and I an wasting a bunch of time looking for it. Not fun.

Having said that, I'm sure I'll grow to like it once I get used to it.

Comment

• If you position your mouse at the left bottom, you will see an arrow. The arrow will take you down a screen and all of your programs will be listed. Right click on the program you want then pin it to the screen. A tile will appear all the way to the right of the tiles you already have and you can drop an drag it to where you want it.

.......or you can simply start typing the name of the program you are looking for and a list of programs will appear on the right side of your screen.

Microsoft has a tutorial that was really helpful that was loaded as a tile on my machine when I bought it.

Comment

• Did you update 8.1? Should go smoothly.
                    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Having said that, I'm sure I'll grow to like it once I get used to it.
                      That's probably what prison rape victims tell themselves too...
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                        If you position your mouse at the left bottom, you will see an arrow. The arrow will take you down a screen and all of your programs will be listed. Right click on the program you want then pin it to the screen. A tile will appear all the way to the right of the tiles you already have and you can drop an drag it to where you want it.

.......or you can simply start typing the name of the program you are looking for and a list of programs will appear on the right side of your screen.

Microsoft has a tutorial that was really helpful that was loaded as a tile on my machine when I bought it.
                        Thanks Malto, I believe that is the Apps screen you are referring to, and with a touch screen you can just swipe up to get to it. My issue is finding all the system configuration locations (Restore/Recovery, Control Panel, Windows Update, Remote Desktop, etc, etc, etc. Microsoft decided to toss them all over the place (including the Apps page as you pointed out) so my well trodden pathways have been disrupted, and, as usual, there is more than one way to get there, so multiply that by the number of ways to do the same thing. On a touchscreen Win8 comes to life with left/right/up/down swiping motions that create new pathways.

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                        Did you update 8.1? Should go smoothly.
                        Yep, took care if that right away.

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                        That's probably what prison rape victims tell themselves too...
                        I like Win7 a lot. It was a very refined version after many failures like Me and Vista. I haven't seen the blue screen of death in a long time. Win8 needs some refinement before I place it on my other machines. Win8 makes more sense for a touchscreen.

Comment

• Win8 makes more sense for a touchscreen.
                          From my non-IT viewpoint, this was what I had heard Win8 was designed for. It pisses me off if it's forced onto the real computers and we have to change to accommodate that tabs

Comment

• BIM,

I was asking MM but I'm glad you got on it. I haven't turned on my computer since Thursday night when I did the update. Not sure what its improved or not on my W8.1 touchscreen laptop system. I'm working on buying another mouse right now. I like using a mouse.

Comment

• Gonz, my puter came pre-loaded with 8.1. Is there an update to it I should be aware of?

They tell me one of the biggest differences is the addition of a calculator. I use it often when on the puter and would be ticked to have to find one while working. I do have the calculator on my newbie.

I only used the touchscreen the first day, then I converted to a traditional mouse. I don't like the screen getting all smudged up from dragging fingers all over it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                                Gonz, my puter came pre-loaded with 8.1. Is there an update to it I should be aware of?

They tell me one of the biggest differences is the addition of a calculator. I use it often when on the puter and would be ticked to have to find one while working. I do have the calculator on my newbie.

I only used the touchscreen the first day, then I converted to a traditional mouse. I don't like the screen getting all smudged up from dragging fingers all over it.
                                Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                                Follow the bouncing ball my friend.

Update #1 is for Windows 8.1 and made available to the public on 4/8. Its supposed to help mouse and keyboard use as well as making the UI more Windows 7 like (if you opt for it).

Download it, live it, love it. ;)
                                We've already been down this Q and A road.

Yes, there is an update number 1 for Windows 8.1.

Go to updates and recovery and check for updates.

Comment

Working...
                                X