No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the fact that if I'm about to go somewhere and I look and see that my phone is at 30%, I just grab another battery and throw it in my pocket.

Also, of major importance, is that I can put on my massive 7500mAh battery for snowmobiling. I run maps on my phone mounted to my handlebars, and the big battery can run it for days.
    The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Speaking of throwing batteries in pockets, ULF......, few years ago, I was replacing the double A batteries on a boiler combustion printer unit, put them in my pocket and continued with the combustion analysis. About ten minutes later, something mysterious happened; both batteries started fusing together and heating up to a temperature hotter than the surface of the fucking sun. Screamed like a bitch and ran to a toilet. Burnt inner thigh which has left a scar.
      SO........, don't be putting batteries in yer pocket!
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Wow, that's odd. You would have had to create a circuit across both ends of the batteries, like a coin on one end and a key on the other?
        The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Yes, there were a few coins, radiator keys etc in the pocket too. The apprentice working with me that day thought I was having some kind of testicle twisting moment.
          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
            Yes, there were a few coins, radiator keys etc in the pocket too. The apprentice working with me that day thought I was having some kind of testicle twisting moment.

LOL! The things you say.
            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Which Samsung is banned at the airports right now? S7 note or edge has the exploding battery problem.
              AAL - Glover Quinn

Comment

• Originally posted by maxw3ll View Post
                Which Samsung is banned at the airports right now? S7 note or edge has the exploding battery problem.
                Think it's Note 7
                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• You think correctly.
                  "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
                    Wow, that's odd. You would have had to create a circuit across both ends of the batteries, like a coin on one end and a key on the other?
                    Big brain alert!
                    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• 8 V batteries cause a lot of house fires.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• I bought my son a new Acer all-in-one PC with a 23" touch screen. A pretty nice piece of hardware, but...

Why the fuck do these manufacturers install bloatware "security" software that destroys the performance of their computer?

This thing has McAfee running a free trial on it. McAfee also has a "Web Advisor" that is installed in your browser to help keep you "safer" while surfing the web. I went into Firefox and disabled it as an extension (no way to delete it in the menu...)

So now the PC is lagging horribly. I go into Task Manager and see what's eating up all the memory. You guessed it, Web Advisor. It's sitting there swallowing up nearly 4GB of Ram after being disabled.

Now I have to go in and delete all of this bloatware to put a simple virus protector on it. And you can bet it won't go away easily. I'm going to have to do some reading and who knows, maybe even some registry work to put this thing in its grave.

But here's the rub: I know a lot about PCs. I can handle this mess. It's a huge inconvenience, but I'll fix it. Your average PC buyer will just find themselves with a brand new machine that moves at a crawl, and will have no idea why it's happening. Acer lets McAfee load it with bloatware that kills its performance and smears their name. How fucking stupid is that...

Comment

• Hear you loud and clear.

ASUS for me without bloat from the start.
                          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
                            I bought my son a new Acer all-in-one PC with a 23" touch screen. A pretty nice piece of hardware, but...

Why the fuck do these manufacturers install bloatware "security" software that destroys the performance of their computer?

This thing has McAfee running a free trial on it. McAfee also has a "Web Advisor" that is installed in your browser to help keep you "safer" while surfing the web. I went into Firefox and disabled it as an extension (no way to delete it in the menu...)

So now the PC is lagging horribly. I go into Task Manager and see what's eating up all the memory. You guessed it, Web Advisor. It's sitting there swallowing up nearly 4GB of Ram after being disabled.

Now I have to go in and delete all of this bloatware to put a simple virus protector on it. And you can bet it won't go away easily. I'm going to have to do some reading and who knows, maybe even some registry work to put this thing in its grave.

But here's the rub: I know a lot about PCs. I can handle this mess. It's a huge inconvenience, but I'll fix it. Your average PC buyer will just find themselves with a brand new machine that moves at a crawl, and will have no idea why it's happening. Acer lets McAfee load it with bloatware that kills its performance and smears their name. How fucking stupid is that...
                            This is why I build my own PCs, nothing on it but what I installed. Make sure you create separate admin accounts and user accounts that are standard users. That stops most of the bad stuff in its tracks. Just make sure sonny boy doesn't use the admin account unless necessary.
                            Last edited by edindetroit; September 26, 2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                              Hear you loud and clear.

ASUS for me without bloat from the start.
                              Yep or buy signature versions of PCs from the Microsoft store.

Comment

• Ukbb we builders are seemingly becoming dinosaurs. I've built since 1999

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X