No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still need to use a laptop for work though, and well, you can't build one of those.

My home pc is a breeze to use, and thanks to the earthquakes, I have a lovely new monitor since last month!
    2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
      ...and thanks to the earthquakes, I have a lovely new monitor since last month!
      Fucking Stafford!
      Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• It's this one:

The expansive 43" class Ultra HD professional Philips display gives you the room to spread out, see the big picture and all the details in 4K Ultra High Definition (four times the resolution of full HD).

Some people were reporting image burn-in, but I haven't had any issues there. I do have one annoying problem when the monitor comes out of power-save mode, the resolution flips from 4k down to a very low resolution, so all my windows get resized and moved to the top left corner of the screen. Haven't found a way to fix that yet.

Comment

I still need to use a laptop for work though, and well, you can't build one of those.

My home pc is a breeze to use, and thanks to the earthquakes, I have a lovely new monitor since last month!
          Insurance?
          19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Coop View Post
            Ukbb we builders are seemingly becoming dinosaurs. I've built since 1999

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They cost less and have a real warranty that is honored in 24 hours for 5 to 7 years. Drivers are made and tested for future os releases. Firmware is updated to tune in os changes.

Single driver pack installs with full network nic boot for imaging and backups.

Dont buy consumer and there is no bloatware.
            Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
              Insurance?
              Yes sir. The guy that came was super friendly, checked the house structure and just checked off boxes for anything we said was damaged. I was expecting to have to show him everything, but it was pretty painless.

It sounds like the magnitude of the damages was such that the insurance companies were just blank checking everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post
                Yep or buy signature versions of PCs from the Microsoft store.

Ms signature vuilds are very solid
                Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

Yes sir. The guy that came was super friendly, checked the house structure and just checked off boxes for anything we said was damaged. I was expecting to have to show him everything, but it was pretty painless.

It sounds like the magnitude of the damages was such that the insurance companies were just blank checking everyone.
                  Good to hear you were happy with their service.
                  19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• OK so.......I have a question here.

I have an old computer that is running XP. I tried to upgrade th OS but the processor will not allow it. The mother board will not accommodate a bigger processor.

My first thought was to replace the mother board (this computer is a generic standard build, not a Dell or other priority based engineered system).

My question is: Can I replace the mother board and upgrade the processor or would it be wiser to purchase a new built box and replace the hard drives with my current drives (that have plenty of space for what I am using it for and all of my programing and files).
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                      OK so.......I have a question here.

I have an old computer that is running XP. I tried to upgrade th OS but the processor will not allow it. The mother board will not accommodate a bigger processor.

My first thought was to replace the mother board (this computer is a generic standard build, not a Dell or other priority based engineered system).

My question is: Can I replace the mother board and upgrade the processor or would it be wiser to purchase a new built box and replace the hard drives with my current drives (that have plenty of space for what I am using it for and all of my programing and files).
                      I was in the same boat a few months back. I was going to just reuse the case and replace the motherboard and CPU. But the power supply in the case was total crap, so I wasn't confident about running a modern CPU with it. Plus, once you get the new motherboard/CPU you'll probably have to get new memory cards as your old ones will likely not be compatible. So I ended up doing a complete rebuild with a new case, power, motherboard, memory, CPU. I also added a solid state HD (which is a must have). I kept the old hard drive and DVD/CD player.

So before you upgrade, check the specs on the power supply. A lot of the old budget pre-built computers skimped on the PSU.

Comment

• You'll be far better off just upgrading to a newer PC Mark. You'll get upgraded everything, not just the motherboard and processor. That old computer has lived its useful life.

Your hard drive may not move over to a new PC based on how old and what technology it is (ATA, IDE, SATA, etc...) If it does work in the new computer, you'd want to install it as a secondary drive anyway.
                        The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Thanks guys.
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
                            You'll be far better off just upgrading to a newer PC Mark. You'll get upgraded everything, not just the motherboard and processor. That old computer has lived its useful life.

Your hard drive may not move over to a new PC based on how old and what technology it is (ATA, IDE, SATA, etc...) If it does work in the new computer, you'd want to install it as a secondary drive anyway.

Good advice. I've been down this roads too many times. It is usually not worth spitting hairs to save the bucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
                              Aren't those the fuckers that have been blowing up left and right?
                              They are indeed. Sorry for the absence gents.

I turned my Note 7 in for an S7 and just got the replacement Note 7 back Friday. Can't find a battery case for it yet and the "edge" feature is twitchy when I pick the phone up by the edges (go figure) but otherwise I'm liking it.

Comment

• Screw off packie!
                                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

Working...
                                X