Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLF - a few antispyware progs:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ (ad aware)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/ (spybot search & destroy)

both are free...
    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Don't forget Windows Defender. When I used XP, I used a combination of programs. With Vista, just Defender and Norton so far.
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• On my 1.5 year old Windows XP laptop, I have only used annually purchased CA Security (Firewall only, not the suite) and annually purchased The Shield (Virus protection) while keeping Windows XP updated with the latest.

I run the built in Anti-Spy program found on my Mozilla Firefox Yahoo! toolbar about once a week.

I run the built in Norton Virus program found on my IE Yahoo! toolbar about once a week.

I have been problem free since I purchased this laptop.

Vigilence is key.
        Last edited by Panoptes; July 16, 2007, 10:27 AM.
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• the best case and most secure environment is Antivirus, firewall, and running under a limited user account. Have an admin account password protected that is only used when system changes are needed.
          Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• I've run both ad aware and spybot numerous times, they find a bunch of viruses, claim to clean them out, and then a few minutes later they are back.

I'm pretty well at the end of my rope here.
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• You might try Windows Defender since it has a proactive approach to blocking spyware rather than a reactive one.

If you know the name of what you're infected with, I would start researching it to see if there are some manual instructions on removal out there.
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• SLF - the bad news, in some cases, are that the corruption of the OS is such that a full system restore is needed to get everything working again.....
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• If you know the name of what you're infected with, I would start researching it to see if there are some manual instructions on removal out there.
                    That's what I'd do. I had a virus once that could not be removed with virus protection. I had to manually remove it. I found the instructions on the net and followed them and got rid of it. I wouldn't just hope for the best as that probably won't work out well.
                    "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• registry editing is usually the last step - but even there it doesn't always work.
                      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• #1 These little funballs load themselves in the temp folders then install to other places, when you delete them or your virus checker deletes them they just reinstall usually on an event or a reboot.

CLEAR all temp folders completely, all profiles everything that is in temp folders. If you don't know what a temp folders is or a profile, call somebody who does.

Next run trendmicro.com/housecall it is about the best web free cleaning tool you can find (and runs on servers too). It snags, malware, grayware, viruses, trojans, worms and spyware.

After that is clean update your antivirus and boot into safe mode, then when you get 3 complete scans clean you should be good.
                        Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• MWHSG- It's a good thing you are in Montana or I'd give you a big bear hug right about now.

i think it's cleared up for the time being. You are the best, and if you ever need anything in Seattle...let me know!

-SLF

PS Check your PM's.

Comment

• Good to read SLF... and I am glad I am in Montana... I might like the kiss and then my hole sexuality will be in question.

Got you PM and again thanks no problem at all.

What do you have for Antivirus software?
                            Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• I "have" McAfee VirusScan, but it interferes with this piece of crap software you have to use to take the bar, so I have it turned off currently.

It's not ideal, (and probably not smart at all) but, at least my computer will work with it.

Comment

• maybe somebody hear knows Mcafee better than I do but there should be spot in McAfee that you can exclude it from looking at the program you are trying to run. Symantec (corporate edition, don't know about the home version) and Trend allow you to tell it what applications not to check.

NO antivirus etc can protect you from everything and even an up version antivirus antispyware will still allow your system to get infected.

Just this year the Super Bowl 41 site was hacked and installing a key-logger and backdoor trojan onto peoples systems. It will never end.
                                Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

Working...
                                X