No announcement yet.

Diary of a Madman---a collection of KANSAS' rants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeps our offseason moving along - are we two months to training camp?
    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Originally posted by GONZ
      I don't like that one but appreciate your efforts anyway.

I hope you really don't believe that JOE can not continue with his progression at the NFL level.
      I was wondering if I was going to get some static for this. Actually, I think Joey does have the tools to be a very effective quarterback, and for my Lions sake, I hope he finally puts everything together. I'm not as concerned about his physical tools as I am about his mental makeup. Thus, the Joey Harrington Experience.

There is a perception out there that The Joey Harrington Experience is the "real" Joey Harrington. Whether it's true or not, that's what Joey has to live with every day; the perception that he can't read defenses, isn't accurate, is mentally fragile, and is a little light in the loafers. It's not fair, and most of it isn't true IMHO, but that's his cross he has to bear.

I guess I could've written the "Joey Harrington Experience" where he finally beats Green Bay at Lambeau in driving snow storm with 40 MPH winds and he's 34 for 40 with 5 touchdowns and 400 yards passing, but it wouldn't have been very funny. :p
      It's so flat you can watch your dog run away for three days.

Comment

That's cool. I just hope that JOE gets it done this year for all of our sake.
        19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Originally posted by GONZ
          That's cool. I just hope that JOE gets it done this year for all of our sake.
          Amen bruda. Starting again at square 1 is not an encouraging prospect.
          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

That's what I'm talkin' bout.

Comment

So let's start at square 2 for a change.
              "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkbait
                So let's start at square 2 for a change.
                It's been tried...it was called the "Scott Mitchell Experiment"

Been there, done that...have the dirty t-shirt to prove it!

Comment

I was hoping square 2 would be to jump start Joey into mid season form before game one, but then again Joey's mid season form lacks substance. Actually, Mitchell holds several Lions passing records. With the core or WR's he had compared to what Joey has to work with, I expect Harrington to take some of the Water Buffalo's records away this season.
                  "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

I hear ya Sharky! Mitchell had some good seasons with the Lions. But when he threw that INT in OT against Cinci, I just totally lost all faith in him.

Joey's made some mistakes. But he was thrown into the deep end of the pool, wearing a 1000 lb anchor around his neck as a rookie and asked to not only swim but keep the reat of the team afloat too. In the last couple of years, the anchor has gotten lighter at times, but sharks (injured players, pressure from Mooch, mismanagement of the game by the coaching staff) have been added to give him something else to worry about.

This is the year when Joey doesn't have to be the savior...if he plays within his skillset and stops looking over his shoulder, he'll lead this team to the promised land.

Comment

OK, time to brag again. My oldest son, Nolan (who will be a senior next year), is playing on the varsity American Legion team this summer. Over the last five games he has hit 3 triples, 3 doubles, 5 singles and a screaming homerun that hit the scoreboard right above the 370 foot sign. Two other fathers told me it was the hardest hit ball they've ever seen at this age. It literally got out of the park in about two seconds and put a pretty good dent in our new scoreboard.

For the season he's batting a measley .587 with a slugging percentage of 1.100 and 18 RBIs. One game that they lost 10-9, he hit two triples (both with the bases loaded and both hit the wall in the air) and a double, hit in 7 runs and scored one - accounting for 8 of the 9 runs scored.

Not bad for a kid who got cut his first two years (stupid coaches :-) ).

Sorry about the bragging, but I know some of you are interested in how my guys are doing.

Comment

Thats great Kansas! Congrats!!!

Comment

Good stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That's awesome, K!! I would think such talent would warrant some attention from recruiters? What are his plans after high school?
                            #birdsarentreal

Comment

Originally posted by -Deborah-
                              That's awesome, K!! I would think such talent would warrant some attention from recruiters? What are his plans after high school?
                              Well, like I said, he got cut his first two years, so this is the first chance he's had to showcase himself. The Spring varsity team won the state championship after going an amazing 35-0 and was ranked 4th in the nation by USA Today. Every single one of those kids who are seniors are going on to play baseball at some collegiate level, including two that are going Div. I (Kansas State and Iowa).

So the school he's playing for definitely has the eyes of the recruiters. If he keeps hitting like he is, and he continues to do it next season, he may get some sniffs from a few recruiters, albeit it may be some small or juco colleges.

One thing he does have going for him is he's 6'3" and 220 lbs., plays 3B, 1B and also pitches So he has the size that could attract some attention. But it's far too early yet. There are 4-5 juniors on that state championship team that will have spots on next year's varsity team. So Nolan will have to keep hitting like he is and beat some really good ball players out of a starting spot.

We'll just have to wait and see how things shake out. But I'm very proud of him for working his ass off and finally making the team, and then proving himself on top of that.
                              Last edited by Kansas; June 14, 2005, 10:27 AM.

Comment

K,

Its never too early to tell. With all his other teammates going places, clearly the recruiters are in the stands.

I know for a fact HS freshman are being wooed out here so if he keeps performing and they like what they see, they will be/would be in contact (first in line mentality) promptly with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X