No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Its funny we're not playing at the elite level but we're leading the league in points. We've turned into snobs."
    ----------------------We've lead the league, or been right up there, before and lost. It has nothing to do with their record or points. It's a feeling I get when I watch them play. Last year I was very confident in the way they were playing and I said as much. I even said they would win the Cup. It's the little things they were doing that wins games in the playoffs. I don't see that this year. I'm concerned. Has nothing to do with being a snob. They have had great records since the mid 90's. They've won some Cups during that time. I've learned what a Stanley Cup team looks like. They ain't it right now. I HOPE they get there soon but as of right now I don't see it.

"I think the Stanley Cup run last year has convinced people that there weren't some bumps and bruises in the regular season."
    ---------------------------It hasn't convinced me of that at all. Ozzie played like shit in January and part of February after being great prior to the new year. They had injuries. I'm aware of the bumps and bruises. They got healthy in March and Ozzie started playing like he had earlier in the year. They looked like a Stanley Cup team heading into the playoffs. They don't look like that right now and we're damn near through March.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
      "Its funny we're not playing at the elite level but we're leading the league in points. We've turned into snobs."
      ----------------------We've lead the league, or been right up there, before and lost. It has nothing to do with their record or points. It's a feeling I get when I watch them play. Last year I was very confident in the way they were playing and I said as much. I even said they would win the Cup. It's the little things they were doing that wins games in the playoffs. I don't see that this year. I'm concerned. Has nothing to do with being a snob. They have had great records since the mid 90's. They've won some Cups during that time. I've learned what a Stanley Cup team looks like. They ain't it right now. I HOPE they get there soon but as of right now I don't see it.

"I think the Stanley Cup run last year has convinced people that there weren't some bumps and bruises in the regular season."
      ---------------------------It hasn't convinced me of that at all. Ozzie played like shit in January and part of February after being great prior to the new year. They had injuries. I'm aware of the bumps and bruises. They got healthy in March and Ozzie started playing like he had earlier in the year. They looked like a Stanley Cup team heading into the playoffs. They don't look like that right now and we're damn near through March.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
      I don't totally disagree but, watching them play Edmonton kinda gave me a bit more confidence.

They were down 1-0 going into the 3rd.

They tied the game about half way into the period.

Three goals were scored in the last 2 minutes of play. Two by Detroit....within about 30 seconds of each other, and one by Edmonton.

The one let in by Edmonton does testify that our D needs to pick it up.

The firepower of the O got the job done in crunch time.

Edmonton was playing a playoff calibur game. They are on the bubble and need every win to get into the playoffs. They are also the team that eliminated the Wings who were a #1 seed a few years ago after fighting for their playoff lives for the last 20 games of the season.

Bottom line, this was very much like a playoff game, minus the difference in playoff officiating, and the Wings got the job done.

I was happy to see that at this stage of the season.

I am thinking they will be fine when playoffs start and also thinking even though there are legitimate questions about Ozzy, he is a seasoned vet and will bring his best during the playoff run (which when compared to other sports, is a very long one).
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• the key to this year's playoffs is goaltending. ozzy has been playing like shit this season. now it may be a different story come playoff time but as of right now, i think ozzy's glory days are behind him. the FIRST sign of him struggling in the playoffs, put conklin in. he's been playing solid this year and i have a better feeling with him in net than osgood. all in all though, i think the wings AT THE LEAST make it to the western finals.

Comment

• Originally posted by cassius kay. View Post
          the key to this year's playoffs is goaltending. ozzy has been playing like shit this season. now it may be a different story come playoff time but as of right now, i think ozzy's glory days are behind him. the FIRST sign of him struggling in the playoffs, put conklin in. he's been playing solid this year and i have a better feeling with him in net than osgood. all in all though, i think the wings AT THE LEAST make it to the western finals.
          The key to all playoffs is goaltending.

I am saying that Ozzie knows this and will respond.

You can bet Babcock will use the hook if he thinks Ozzie is not playing up to par.

Conklin is a worthy backup but he does not have the same experience and as a long time student of the game, I would allow the Vet to do his thing or walk the plank.

Comment

• Islanders 2 Red Wings 0 at the Joe. Way to go for home-ice through the playoffs, Wings.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
              Islanders 2 Red Wings 0 at the Joe. Way to go for home-ice through the playoffs, Wings.
              Didn't see the game but did catch Babcocks presser after the game. He said the team put out a good effort which prompted me to ask my brother if he saw the game. My brother told me (and he is much more skilled in reading players and schemes than I) they had lots of chances, hit the post three times in one power play and NY's goalie stood on his head. He also commented that they played like they had no clue who they were playing against which makes sense since they do not see them very often and in fact I believe that was the first and only time this year.

Comment

• I'll tell you who they were playing: The worst team in hockey! Game 7 in San Jose - if they get that far.
                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Bravo with the latest choice Rock.. Bravo!!
                  F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I'm hoping that the Wings and Predators end up meeting in the first round again like last year so I can go to another game.
                    Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                      I'll tell you who they were playing: The worst team in hockey! Game 7 in San Jose - if they get that far.
                      Stanley Cup Champs have a target on their sweaters all season long.

Just because they lost to the "worst" team in hockey does not mean they may not still be the best team in hockey.

There are a few issues that need attention but the Coaching staff and Veteran leadership in this team will persevere.

It would be no shame to lose to San Jose in 7, they are a very good team. I will still put my money on the Wings, however.

Comment

• I've watched a few games down the stretch now, and all I can say is I just don't understand how this team is within reach of the President's Trophy. To me they're playing like a team that should be barely qualifying for a final spot in the post season.

They're getting pushed around, beaten to pucks, losing face-offs, losing battles on the boards, turning it over in front of the net, and the goal tending is terrible.

They are a candidate for a first-round bounce IMO.

BOO, stink, <fart>
                        Last edited by Drew; March 29, 2009, 06:56 PM.
                        ------------
                        <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• "They are a candidate for a first-round bounce IMO."
                          --------------------Unfortunately I see the same thing.

GO LIONS "09" !!!!!!!!!
                          GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• If they get bounced in the first round, it would not be the first time that they had a successful season then get eliminated when the lights go on.

I see them losing in the Conference Championship series.

Comment

• That last goal today by Hossa was nice. Watching the Wings set up on a break is always fun.

Comment

• Backstrom was seriously bummed he let that go in.

When there were 2-5 mins still remaining, I could have sworn Osgood was gonna let one get in eventually. He made a nice glove save during that time.
                                ------------
                                <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

Working...
                                X