Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Wings' Ken Holland made last-ditch attempt to keep Brad Stuart

June 11, 2012

Defenseman Brad Stuart's desire to be closer to his family in San Jose, Calif., spurred Sunday's trade.

By Helene St. James

Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland and defenseman Brad Stuart talked Sunday morning in what was sort of a last-ditch attempt by the Wings to keep their workhorse.

The writing had been on the wall all season, though, as Stuart made it clear he wanted to play closer to his family in San Jose, Calif.
    So Holland did what he could to at least get something out of losing Stuart, trading his rights to the Sharks in exchange for a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2014 and forward Andrew Murray, a pending unrestricted free agent in whom the Wings have no interest.

"I've talked to Brad Stuart several times over the last couple of days, made him an offer -- Stuie wanted to hit July 1," Holland said. "Everybody is aware he missed his family in California."
    Holland spoke with San Jose general manager Doug Wilson last week, and the two worked out a deal that gives the Sharks a leg up on signing Stuart, who can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"If they don't sign Brad, we're certainly still interested," Holland said. "We'll see what happens."
    The Wings acquired Stuart, 32, at the trade deadline in 2008 and saw the move pay off immediately as he made a great partner for Niklas Kronwall.
    Three months later, Stuart helped the Wings win the Stanley Cup, and he was re-signed that summer to a four-year deal.

The Stuarts tried moving to Detroit as a family, but Stuart's stepdaughter didn't have a smooth transition. And so while Stuart played in Detroit, his wife, the stepdaughter and their two young sons, now 4 and 5, lived in San Jose.
    "I missed quite a few milestones with my little sons, and that was hard," Stuart said. "Playing in Detroit was great for my career, because I learned a lot the last four-plus years. I'm a better player for having played in Detroit.

"The organization treated me first-class and did everything they could to make sure I was happy, and I give them credit for that. It's tough to leave a situation like that. I've got mixed emotions about this. But the opportunity to be with my family is important to me.
    "For Kenny to make this move, to see if it will work out for me and my family, speaks volumes for the organization and how classy they are. If it doesn't work out, Ken indicated they'd still like to have me. I appreciate that."

Stuart was a leading minute-muncher who was a key part of the penalty kill. His departure comes 10 days after the retirement of captain Nicklas Lidstrom, leaving the Wings down two top-four defensemen.
    They have five blue-liners under contract for 2012-13 in Kronwall, Ian White, Jonathan Ericsson, Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl. They traded for Kyle Quincey this past spring partly to offset the likelihood of losing both Lidstrom and Stuart, and while Quincey is a pending restricted free agent, the Wings are confident they'll re-sign him.

They plan to otherwise re-stock via free agency, starting with a determined effort to add potential free agent Ryan Suter.
    Stuart will be missed on and off the ice. Todd Bertuzzi called Stuart "one of the best teammates" and Kronwall credited his own growth to his long-time partner.
    "He's one of those guys who encourages you to go for it, to do what you need to get better," Kronwall said. "He helped me take my game to the next level, and I'm very thankful for the years I got with him.
    "I hate to see him go, but at the same time, this gives him an opportunity to be closer to his family, and I think we all understand that."

Contact Helene St. James: 313-222-2295 or hstjames@freepress.com
    Last edited by Tony G; June 12, 2012, 12:28 AM.
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I don't understand the confusion about Darren Helm. Probably the fastest skater ever to wear the Winged Wheel (behind Sergei), too bad he dosent have other skills to go along with the speed. In a poll asking NHL players he was voted second fastest in the NHL behind Marian Gaborik. Now Abdelkader is young and gritty and that's about all, seems to always take bad penalty's.

Comment

• Helm's on board for another 4 years.

Comment

• Love it
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
            I don't understand the confusion about Darren Helm. Probably the fastest skater ever to wear the Winged Wheel (behind Sergei), too bad he dosent have other skills to go along with the speed. In a poll asking NHL players he was voted second fastest in the NHL behind Marian Gaborik. Now Abdelkader is young and gritty and that's about all, seems to always take bad penalty's.
            I think the confusion comes from me and when it came to skating, I was thinking about Hudler, not Helm.

My mistake.
            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• What do u guys think about Schultz kid from Anaheim? Possible fa pickup?
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• They were saying on the Ticket this morning that he is a real possibility.

Personally, I like the idea of getting younger and tougher on the blue line.
                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Sadly, in today's Gary Bettmans NHL, again - its a crap shoot once the playoffs start - Just get in.

The regular season means nothing, nine years now and nine different Cup winners?

Does it really matter who we sign anymore? I guess try to get younger... as will cut down on injury's.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                    What do u guys think about Schultz kid from Anaheim? Possible fa pickup?
                    Don't FN think for a second I didn't see that.

ANA is already poised to file a tampering charge.
                    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• But they think it's Burke that's been tampering. Not much they will be able to do if he signs with the Wings. He played by the rules and will be a free agent.

Comment

• He played by the rules and completely fucked Anaheim.

Anaheim would have traded his rights last summer if he told them he wasn't going to sign with them but instead he said he couldn't wait to play for the ducks. Then near the end of the season they told him he could come sign his contract and play the last ~16 games of the season and burn a year off his entry level contract to which he said he wanted to do. So they waited for him to show up and sign it and he never did, then he consulted with his agent and informed them he would not be signing with them and become a UFA on July 1st.

So he didn't do anything illegal except for leading on the Ducks and being an asshole, I don't really want him on our team...I think he's going to Toronto to play with his friend Jake Gardiner and the fact that the Maple Leafs just traded Luke Schenn to Philly for JVR pretty much confirms my suspicions that Burke will get him when the day roles around.

Babcock loves that Damien Brenner guy, much different from the Leino signing where the type of game Brenner plays resembles Helm with the hands to bury his shots (plus he's a righty). I just read an interview and Babs said he already had him penciled in as a top-6 guy...which I guess he could be if we don't pick up one of Parise, Semin, or other decent FA.
                        2013 2014 AAL: Glover Quin #27

Comment

• The Brenner addition could be a good one in years to come. I wouldn't count him to be top 6 year 1 but I'll keep my fingers crossed either way.
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                            Don't FN think for a second I didn't see that.

ANA is already poised to file a tampering charge.
                            Shoot.. I'd be really pleased if we landed him. Young puck moving defenseman. Sign me up.

I don't care if he and B Smith have the same game or not. We need some depth on D in a big way.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• What I would love to see for the Wings this offseason:

Trade:
                              Franzen & Rights to Hudler and next years Second round pick
                              OR Franzen and Tatar without a pick next year. For

Keith Yandle

The Coyotes are listening to offers for Yandle, and would like some offense in return. It'll be hard to pry him away, but Franzen & Hudlers rights along with a high draft pick might be enough. It will also save the Coyotes some money "which they also want" because Franzen's Cap hit is only 3.95 this year while Yandle's is 5.25. I think the Coyotes would probably want a young prospect instead of Hudler's rights though. So it might take Franzen and Tatar to get it done.

Free Agency:
                              Sounds like we've already got Damien Brunner locked up and in our plans.

Go after Suter first and foremost. There will be competition for his services (sounds like the Penguins are interested) But offer him somewhere around 7.5mil annually and there won't be an issue with getting him.

Go after Parise next:
                              Again- Offer him somewhere around 7.5mil annually and I think it'll be a done deal.

Sign Paul Guastad .... offer around 2.75-3mil

Red Wings were said to have around 25mil in cap space....
                              7.5 for Suter
                              7.5 for Parise
                              5.25 for Yandle-Franzen's 3.95= apx 1.25mil
                              2.15 Resigned Helm
                              3.0- Gaustad

18.5 million total, still leaves us around 3.5mil for our other restricted free agents...but I'd let Abdelkader, Hudler, Holmstrom all walk/retire. So just leave the 3.5 as breathing room.
                              If Quincy can be signed for around 2.5 then I'd do it.

Roster with possible pairings: (No order to names associated with positions)

Filppula-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi
                              Datsyuk-Parise-Brunner
                              Helm-Cleary-Eaves
                              Miller-Gaustad-Nyquist
                              (Emmerton/Mursak/Connor) for fillers.

Defense:
                              Suter-Kronwall
                              Yandle-White
                              Ericsson-Smith
                              Quincy-Kindl
                              Last edited by Habib21; June 23, 2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• I'm sorry but you need to take off you homer-vision goggles and ask yourself if you would do that trade if you were Phoenix. They want a young 1C anyways, so an aging winger with an absurdly long contract is not the center piece of any trade they would be interested in.

Other than that I agree that KH will be going right after Suter at 12:01, but if Parise ends up staying in New Jeersey (they find the money for him) then I think they sign Semin to play with Datsyuk because they had some good chemistry at the WCs this summer and I certainly think Semin will cost less than Parise in addition to being more skilled.
                                2013 2014 AAL: Glover Quin #27

Comment

Working...
                                X