Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom
    replied
    I didn’t get to see much of the first two periods so I didn’t see them get up 4-1 and I didn’t see them blow the lead either. But I did see most of the 3rd and the OT. It was nice to see Larkin get the OT winner and see him get excited. I hope they can make the playoffs. It would be nice for the team to get in and to see this city get excited about hockey again even though it probably wouldn’t last long.

Leave a comment:

• JGSpartan
    replied
    Apparently I just needed to criticize Debrincat's drought. Two in the first period tonight.

Leave a comment:

• wcfwtf
    replied
    Nothing can be as bad as the 70’s Dead wings era

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Their coach said a couple of days ago that they might not be in this good of a position next year.

Let us note that a mid 90 point total was the target for a lowly 8th seed (that Kenny was criticized for) in the Eastern conference before the season started,. Their perceived improvement is based on this playoff chase in a softer Eastern conference.

It's kind of amazing how soft the Red Wings have become that we are reduced to watching this. Hopefully in 3 years at the end of Kenny's prophecy we finally get to see the playoffs again.

This reminds me of the late 70s/early 80s era except back then they cut bait on underperforming coaches.

Leave a comment:

• JGSpartan
    replied
    One thing to note. Debrincat was hot to start the year but has one goal in the last 20 games. For a minus defender that's definitely not cutting it.

Leave a comment:

• JGSpartan
    replied
    Originally posted by froot loops View Post

I wonder what year does Yzerman get criticized.
    That clock started when he picked his new coach. They need to get better each year and whether or not they make it to the playoffs this year they need to next year or it's time to be making changes. Three years is a perfectly fair time frame.

Leave a comment:

• chemiclord
    replied

Well, again, my criticism of the Yzerplan is somewhat tempered by the reality that it's really about the only way the Red Wings have a chance of success... simply because of the miserly, skinflint owner that is never going to give the franchise the resources needed to actually put together a championship-caliber team in any way that we'd consider normal. Pretty much the only chance is to hope they hit on every single internally developed player, and hope they can find another five Debrincat like guys who are so invested on being a Red Wing that they'll take pretty much whatever they can get, or Kane-like players having a near-unprecedented resurgence at the tail end of their careers.

Yzerman probably isn't the guy who can do that... but I struggle to think of any GM that could outside of pure dumb luck.

Leave a comment:

• GALion68
    replied
    Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    This team is really irritating. Playoff teams don’t lose 7 in a row the shit the bed for the rest of the year. Such a disappointing season

Patrick Kane picked the wrong team
    Yep, how to blow a playoff spot 101. Is Lalonde the coach for the Wings to be a contender? Starting to doubt that.

Leave a comment:

• jaadam4
    replied
    This team is really irritating. Playoff teams don’t lose 7 in a row the shit the bed for the rest of the year. Such a disappointing season

Patrick Kane picked the wrong team

Leave a comment:

• maxw3ll
    replied
    Didn't see any of it. Stat wise looks about right. More of the same.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    Well, at least they got a point. But they were pretty outmatched tonight. Luckily Larkin and Raymond carried the team.

They gave up another short handed goal tonight.

I’m starting to think the early success and the winning streak a few weeks ago were just flukes and they’re probably just not that talented. And that falls on Yzerman.

Leave a comment:

• maxw3ll
    replied
    I mean getting to the playoffs isn't nothing, people are hoping that the Red Wings can overcome the odds in year 5 of the Yzerplan to get the 8th seed.

Vegas has been to the finals twice and won it once since Kenny uttered the prophecy and they didn't exist when he said it
    I think there is something about making it to show the team is on track. Also good for players to gain experience and measure themselves against the best player n those series.

Leave a comment:

• maxw3ll
    replied
    Goalie is in a tough spot here. Im not saying it is easy because of the defensive struggles by the wings.

I have yet to see him steal a game where the wings were outplayed badly, make clutch saves to keep them alive and swing momentum. He has certainly had enough chances and was never able to elevate or get that confidence. I would love for that to change.

Right now Detroit probably needs to score 3 with him in net and no lead feels “safe”.

I live in Colorado and the Avalanche are good unfortunately. But they worry about their goaltending and the liability. They are also stacked enough to cover it vs most teams but they think it will keep them from the final.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    I would argue that Lyon has played pretty well given the circumstances. When the team gets shutout 4 times in a 13 game stretch, it’s hard to steal games. And they were practically shut out last night. Last night felt like one of the first times the Wings have outshot an opponent. But most of the shots weren’t really challenging. During the Wings’ glory years, they typically outshot opponents like they did last night. I always felt it was almost a disadvantage for our goalies because they couldn’t get in a rhythm. Not trying to give Lyon an excuse but I could see last night being weird for him when he’s used to being outshot. His play has dipped in the past month but I think that has coincided with the team also playing worse. When they were on the winning streak, I felt like they wouldn’t be able to keep it going due to the poor defensive play.

I remember Cujo getting some blame for the Wings playoff loss to the Ducks. People kept saying he was outplayed but I thought he had a save percentage in the 90s and less than a 2.0 GAA. The lineup of Hall of Fame scorers couldn’t score at all.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

1) And the Wings are still among the bottom third in payroll, and have been so the entire time Chris I. has run the team.

2) True, but it can still be useful to find the role players that can fill out a roster rather than two-way players that SHOULD be in the AHL.

3) Again, Vegas had LITERALLY nothing, and had a Stanley Cup champion in the same amount of time the Yzerplan has the Red Wings in a dog fight for the 8-seed. Miss me with that excuse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X