No announcement yet.

Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I can find from that era suggests Bowman put him back there because he needed help on defense. He might have been trying to "teach him a lesson," but he never said so himself. A lot of people speculated he was trying to keep Federov guessing about his role as a psychological ploy.
    I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• That was Scottie's way. He pushed Yzerman to play more D and turned him into an allaround superstar. He even threatened to trade him. He told Holmstrom to go stand in front of the net or go play in Sweden. He pushed everyone and that is what made us the team we are today.

Comment

• The problem with your theory is that Fedorov didn't magically become a defensive player with Bowman's prodding. He was a excellent defensive player for the Red Wings the day he defected.

Its all a matter of perception, Yzerman's point production went down with Bowman, did he not show some games. Nobody suggests that, they say correctly that he started playing a two way game focusing on defense with the prodding of Bowman. Fedorov was a better defensive player, when people say he didn't show up on some games they are mainly talking about offense. Fedorov always was played defense, but he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Yzerman plays defense and is sacrificing for the team, Fedorov plays defense and is fails to show up.

Teammates grumbled a lot about Fedorov because sometimes they thought effort was a problem, but moreso because the guy was truly flaky.

Comment

• "It is fine if you wish to believe that he is the best player the Wings have ever had."

And it's fine if you wish to believe that he is the worst player that ever laced up a pair of skates...

Comment

• Mats Sundin talk everywhere.. MAN WOULD THAT BE HUGE!!! Sundin on a second line with Franzen!!!
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              No he was put on D because they were short defenseman, not because of attitude. But don't let facts get into the way.

Malto Marko looks at the game so differently that he didn't even see Fedorov play the 2002 playoffs.

It is fine if you wish to believe that he is the best player the Wings have ever had.

Who said that strawman?
              Heh, heh. You must have missed the part that I said I quit watching those who only play on their own terms, not the way a team needs a player. Anything he did in those playoffs impressed me so little, I could not even remember if he was on the ice (not withholding the fact that when you are older than dirt, time and space becomes a blur and one chooses to pick the memories to be kept).

.......as far as the strawman comment, while the beginning of that paragraph did address a comment you made, I did not mean to intend that is the way you felt. The comment really should have read: It is fine if one wishes to believe that he is the best player the Wings have ever had.....

My apologies if you thought that comment was directed at your position however, we do have a difference in opinion on the level of Feds participation while on the Wings.
              I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                My apologies if you thought that comment was directed at your position however, we do have a difference in opinion on the level of Feds participation while on the Wings.
                Well then here's a thought. From what I've read you dislike Federov because you think he slacked and wasted his talent. I'm not sure if I've seen you comment on the importance of Federov to Wings success. How replaceable do you think he was to Wings during that run?
                "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• "Mats Sundin talk everywhere.. MAN WOULD THAT BE HUGE!!! Sundin on a second line with Franzen!!!"

I do like the idea of adding Sundin to this roster. I would also be up for bringing Fedorov back.

Comment

• From what I have been told, Federov would love to come back. He was almost back in Detroit at the trade deadline, but Columbus jacked up the asking price for a "division rival".

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Teammates grumbled a lot about Fedorov because sometimes they thought effort was a problem, but moreso because the guy was truly flaky.

Hmmmm. This is a kid that was given major exceptions because his skills could pay off by nurturing him. He defected to the US and was given a contract that paid him much more than he could have gotten by staying put. Then, his contract comes up for renewal and another team bids for his services putting a clause in that says if the team wins the Stanley Cup the contract will be paid up front (read: 27MM paid in full). Wings match the contract and as it turns out, they win the cup.

He takes all the bonus money up front and they go on to have more success. He becomes disenchanted because he is only drawing the contracted scheduled income (which is far below his contribution but, all of the bonus clauses were paid up front because they won the cup). So he decides he is not getting paid well for his services and will choose what games he shows up in.

They enter negotiations for a new contract and he is offered 10MM a year for 5 years. Someone else offers him 8MM for 7 years with incentives. Total value of contract about 2MM more than the Wings offered but, there are incentives that need to be achieved. The incentives are getting into the playoffs and going deep.

He decides that he will not wear the C in Detroit but has been promised he will with a new contract and will show everyone in Detroit what a mistake they made.

Uhhhhh, no mistakes made here. He was given a very generous contract but playing FA makes one demand more.

The question becomes: Did he make more playing for his new team or would he have made more playing for Detroit?

I am suggesting here his problem with preforming on the ice came from him being paid up front and he thought he should continue to make the most of everyone in the league because he was the best player.

He may well have been but, when you take the money up front then kiss off when you think you are not being compensated well, suggests an early tee time on a team that has no chance of getting into the playoffs.

What has this outstandingly talented player achieved since he left Detroit? How many Cups or trophys has he won (or nominated for) since?

Since I have turned my head on his lack of contribution, I would even ask, how many times has his name be mentioned for the Selke or the Hart after he left the Wings? How many has he won?

Was it his ability to play or being a team member that achieved his accolades?

Hmmmmmmm. Problem I have with Fed is that I believe he is the best player to ever play the game but, the game means nothing to him, only the money it can make him( we will not talk about leaving an environment that surpresses your individual rights but rewards you to become a world class athlete) only that he had a chance to become the greatest of all time but chose to disrespect the game that gave him everything he has achieved in life.

Please explain to me why the talent he wasted is good?

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                        From what I have been told, Federov would love to come back. He was almost back in Detroit at the trade deadline, but Columbus jacked up the asking price for a "division rival".
                        I believe he is a FA and I also hear he would love to be a part of the Wings but, I am not sure they will be able to agree on a contract.

What has he achieved to demand a big contract since he left Detroit?

I would suggest his past performance has been paid in full and his recent performance suggests he is not a premium player.

Comment

• Who said he's demanding a big contract?

Comment

• I don't see how Federov wasted anything. He played on three champions. He's had a fine career. He played in an era where nobody racked up big numbers; he wasn't going to challenge Esposito or Gretsky or Lemieux or even Yzerman earlier in his career. I will be perfectly blunt. I think Detroit fans dis him because he wasn't North American.
                            I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• I'd love Feds to come back for another run. If we add he or Sundin we'd be in for another nice ride if we stay healthy.
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                                Who said he's demanding a big contract?
                                His agent?

Comment

Working...
                                X