OT: MSU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by King Cole View Post
    I guess that's difference with M and MS fans. I don't look at like if MS is really crappy M will get all the best Mich HS kids. Sure i could see how a 0-12 season for MSU would benefit UofM but I'd rather have the pride of both Michigan schools doing well! I don't see it has an either or thing. Back in 60's it was UofM and MSU being the big 2 vs little 8 then OSU came in the mix and dropped MSU down a notch. I hope they one day flip flop again!

I don't really follow college recruiting, but I'd have to guess that MSU is much more dependant on a good in-state recruiting class than UofM is.

Whether or not UofM has bad season, they will still end up with their pick of the in-state litter. But a bad year for UofM coupled with a good MSU year could mean just a few more in-state guys that can make a difference.

UofM seems like it must have a much larger talent pool to draw from, which I'm guessing is why Froot finds all the "Carr left the cupboard bare" comments laughable. They may not be the perfect players for the new guys system, but they should still be able to "out talent" their way into some wins this year.
    "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

I don't follow it either, but I've always presumed all of the Big 10 schools recruit nationally. If you don't find what you want in Alpena or Escanaba, go to Texas and California and Florida.
      I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

Originally posted by gjdodger View Post
        I don't follow it either, but I've always presumed all of the Big 10 schools recruit nationally. If you don't find what you want in Alpena or Escanaba, go to Texas and California and Florida.
        I'm sure they do all recruit nationally, but even then UofM has the rep and name recognition to give them the recruiting leg up over MSU. A single bad season or two probably wouldn't change that unless something spectacularly good happened at MSU at the same time.

UofM and OSU could go down to Florida and have a good chance at getting the guy FSU and Miami both passed over, still a heck of a player, MSU is probably looking more at JuCo transfers.
        "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

Rodriguez also has the advantage of looking at rap sheets.
          I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

Whether or not UofM has bad season, they will still end up with their pick of the in-state litter.
            Take a look at the top 10 recruits in the state for 2009 and you might change your tune.

Comment

As far as I know, Michigan state generally does pretty well recruiting in-state. Its out of state that um really does much better than MSU.
              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Michigan State rarely gets much in state. You can count on one hand 5 recruits that MSU has won over Michigan in the last 10 years. When you look at the top 15 recruits, Michigan gets their pick. Theire is little pocckets of support. FH Harrison is known as a MSU feeder. They would get some DePorres guys. But any of the PSL studs pretty kuch all went to Michigan unless Michigan didn't go hard after them. For the most part it has been sloppy seconds.
                Last edited by froot loops; August 29th, 2008, 01:16 AM.

Comment

"If you don't find what you want in Alpena or Escanaba, go to Texas and California and Florida."
                  ---------------------WoW. An Escanaba sighting.

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
                  GO LIONS "19" !!

Take us to the promised land Matthew.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoLion View Post
                    Take a look at the top 10 recruits in the state for 2009 and you might change your tune.
                    I certainly hope that doesn't become a trend. It's the kind of wedge Dantonio needs, but Michigan could change that if they regain their national status soon. Rodriguez has stated a desire to recruit Florida harder, and he tends to go after players that fit his system. I think he'll be selective in-state. It may be risky, though, to appear uninterested in the players in your backyard. Most of the roster was filled by players from Michigan, Ohio and Illinois in the Bo days. Moeller ventured out farther. I still say he would have been more successful than Carr.
                    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

From the Freep:

1. Defensive tackle William Campbell, Detroit Cass Tech
                      6-feet-5, 317 pounds

The Scoop: Physically imposing prospect who could play on either side of the ball. He is ranked the third-best defensive tackle prospect in the nation.

2. Running back Edwin Baker, Oak Park
                      5-feet-10, 204 pounds

The Scoop: Powerful running back with 4.4 speed. He is ranked the fifth-best running back in the nation by Rivals.

3. Linebacker Chris Norman, Detroit Renaissance
                      6-feet-2, 217 pounds

The Scoop: Physical freak who has a 41-inch vertical jump and runs the 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds. He is ranked the sixth-best outside linebacker in the nation by Rivals.

4. Quarterback Andrew Maxwell, Midland
                      6-feet-3, 192 pounds

The Scoop: Excelled at the prestigious Elite II quarterback camp. He's ranked the eighth-best pro-style quarterback prospect in the nation by Rivals.

5. Tight end Dion Sims, Orchard Lake St. Mary’s
                      6-feet-6, 230 pounds

The Scoop: Still has to decide whether he will concentrate of football or basketball. Ranked the No. 7 tight end prospect in the nation by Rivals.

6. Running back Larry Caper, Battle Creek Central
                      5-foot-10, 215 pounds

The Scoop: Caper is a big, physical runner who rushed for nearly 10 yards per carry as a junior. The 26th-ranked running back in the nation, according to Rivals.

7. Tight end Reid Fragel, Grosse Pointe South
                      6-feet-7, 260 pounds

The Scoop: Huge prospect who could grow into an offensive tackle at the next level. He is ranked the 13th-best tight end prospect in the nation by Rivals.

8. Defensive tackle/center Blake Treadwell, East Lansing
                      6-feet-2, 270 pounds

The Scoop: Powerfully built player known for being relentless on both sides of the ball. He is ranked the No. 3 center prospect in the nation by Rivals.

9. Wide receiver James Jackson, Grand Ledge
                      6 feet, 180 pounds

The Scoop: Having clocked a 4.31 40-yard dash, Jackson is one of the fastest recruits in the nation. Ranked the 29th-best wide receiver in the nation by Rivals.

10. Wide receiver Cameron Gordon, Inkster
                      6-feet-2, 210 pounds

The Scoop: Big, physical prospect who many believe could be a better linebacker than receiver in college. Rivals ranks him the No. 31 wide receiver in the nation.

Comment

Wow. I had no idea MSU's class was so highly ranked. Here's hoping D'Antonio can keep the momentum up.

Comment

I think there should be a Grand Valley thread. We feel left out. We have the best football team in the state after all.....=D <hides>
                          My hipocracy goes only so far.

Comment

Originally posted by gv laker View Post
                            I think there should be a Grand Valley thread. We feel left out. We have the best football team in the state after all.....=D <hides>
                            EMU, WMU, UofD, Wayne State, what's that one in the UP that always has a good hockey team? lots more threads to make
                            I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008

Comment

Originally posted by King Cole View Post
                              EMU, WMU, UofD, Wayne State, what's that one in the UP that always has a good hockey team? lots more threads to make
                              If there is enough interst in the above programs then why not?

Comment

Not going to be able to see a down tonight, so that sucks. Go State.

Comment

Working...
                                X