No announcement yet.

Forumites and their Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tell your girl to exercise that pup till she drops every day else she's likely to turn up missing."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------Actually I read something which said you should run puppies that much as their bones/bodies/muscles/tendons, etc are still developing and you could cause them health issues in adulthood. Can't remember what they recommended but it obviously progresses as they grow.
    GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
      "Tell your girl to exercise that pup till she drops every day else she's likely to turn up missing."
      -----------------------------------------------------------------Actually I read something which said you should run puppies that much as their bones/bodies/muscles/tendons, etc are still developing and you could cause them health issues in adulthood. Can't remember what they recommended but it obviously progresses as they grow.
      I believe this would be true for many breeds but Huskys were bred to pull sleds and be marathon dogs. I am not sure a general observation with most breeds would apply to this one.

I am thinking they need to go balls to the walls from day one.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• I don't know but I'd have to disagree. A developing body is a developing body.

From ASPCA--------------

"Before You Start Your Dog’s Exercise Program

Check with your dog’s veterinarian before starting an exercise program. He or she can check your dog for any health issues that may be aggravated by exercise and suggest safe activities. Some size, breed and age considerations are:

Breeds with short or flat noses (brachycephalic breeds) can have trouble breathing when exercised vigorously, especially in warmer climates.
        Exercise is great for energetic young dogs, but sustained jogging or running is not recommended for young dogs (under 18 months) whose bones haven’t finished growing.
        Because large dogs are more prone to cruciate ligament injuries, arthritis and hip dysplasia, sustained jogging can be hard on their joints and bones, too. If you’ve got a large dog, make sure she’s well conditioned before you start jogging together.
        Once a dog reaches her golden years, osteoarthritis can cause pain and lameness after strenuous exercise. It’s much better to discover that your once-sprightly dog’s joints can no longer handle long hikes, for example, before you hit the trail.

Here's another article.

Discover the world of Cesar Millan, the renowned Dog Whisperer. Explore official training tips, programs, and exclusive merchandise. Dive into Cesar's expert advice on dog behavior and training, and access a wealth of resources designed to help you and your furry friend live a happier, more harmonious life. Visit now for transformative dog training techniques and the latest content from Cesar himself.
        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Dan, that's a good point for sure. I guess I'd revise my advice to clarify that she's got a way to go before she's a big flight risk, but when that time comes, play with her and eventually exercise her until she's (happily) exhausted.
          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Thanks for the advice, guys. Must be honest though, she got this dog herself, and she and her partner told no one they were getting the dog. So I'm assuming they know about all this running she needs. I'm hoping the breeder had a long chat with them. I will certainly pass on that advice.
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Does she bark with a Scottish broagh?

Congrat's to your expanding family!

Comment

• LOL Bim.
                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Congrats Marko. She is a beauty!

Comment

• nice, Bimmer.

Thanks for the nice words from everyone. I'll be sure to post a pic of a grown up Kaira in a few months.
                    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Welcome to your future, puppy. Similarly, when I was a wee pup, I had big ears, was husky, and everyone thought I was adorable.

From experience; leave multiple steamers all over a private golf course and see where that gets you.

Hint: you will be posting on Detroit Lions forums and using craigslist to look for a threesome that will golf with you.

Another hint: using the term threesome on craigslist may or may not produce a desired result. Either way, bring the 3 iron and do not ask to play the back 9 first.
                      Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• wow ... just wow. Don't ask to play the back 9 first. (:
                        Forever One!

Comment

• Thanks for the nice words from everyone. I'll be sure to post a pic of a grown up Kaira in a few months.

Good looking new member of your family Marko

Comment

• Thanks, Wingsfan. Was back there this afternoon visiting......, trying to teach her to give me kisses..... She thinks I want her to bite my nose, haha. Won't be trying that in a few months time.

Trick......., I did consider the idea that this sled pulling dog could pull my clubs around the course for me. Thought I'd start early by at least showing her the clubs......, she looked at me as if to say, "I'll shove that bag up your erse, pal."

Comment

• Beautiful puppy!!!

Comment

• Thanks DWT.

Where are you and the family these days......., still in Central Europe?

Comment

Working...
                                X