Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would he do that?
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• To get to you.

Time does sure fly...
      #birdsarentreal

Comment

• if you're lucky
        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• My son is going into 8th grade, this dude is a man child. 6 ft 1 with size 15 shoes. With his athletic skillset, he has three choices 1. Offensive tackle, 2. Shot put thrower or 3. Big white stiff on a basket ball team.

Comment

• Congrats CG!

Damn Loops. You need to stop feeding that kid for a while.

My son will be starting 3rd grade at the end of the month (remember when I posted when he was born??). He's gained 15 lbs and added 1.25 inches since the end of school. We've put locks on the fridge & cupboards but we think he's sneaking out after we go to bed and hunting the local wildlife.

Of course most of the local wildlife consists of feral cats, Chihuahuas running loose, pigeons and rats.

Comment

• After spending over thirty hours in the car over the last four days without any music other than the radio, I can confirm that Tom Petty is correct in his observation that modern country music is "Bad rock with a fiddle"
              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Had a few beers, feel a tad pished.... But I've had a random thought..... And I had the sense to look for the Rabdom thought thread. I don't give a monkeys tit about raisin growers.
                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Clicking through some college football games and I have noticed a lot of teams have helmets with matte finishes.

Not sure what I think about that look...

Comment

• Why is it that this forum seems to attract other forum's cast offs and fuckheads?

We have gotten some great new posters over the years, but man...

Comment

• Re: Random Thoughts

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                        Why is it that this forum seems to attract other forum's cast offs and fuckheads?

We have gotten some great new posters over the years, but man...
                        They're coming out of the woodwork the last few days. Coincidence the writing style is the same.
                        Passenger on the Lions bandwagon since 1969.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                          That is funny as hell.

I only have fandom thoughts thus this post while planned is random because it was planned.
                          Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Moved to a more appropriate thread....

Originally posted by CGVT
                            Meanwhile in one of the least forward thinking states in the union...

One of these fuckheads is going to be a Senator.

MOBILE, Ala. - Four of the nine Republicans running in the special election for Alabama’s 1st Congressional District responded to a challenge by GOP candidate Dean Young by saying they oppose gay marriage.

Candidates Daniel Dyas, Wells Griffith, Quin Hillyer and Jessica James all said they believe marriage should be defined as between one man and one woman, but stopped short of signing a pledge issued by Young expressing formal opposition to gay marriage.

Candidates Bradley Byrne, Chad Fincher, Sharon Powe and David “Thunder” Thornton did not respond to Young’s challenge and declined to comment on the pledge.

Young on Wednesday challenged the eight other Republican candidates running in the Sept. 24 primary election to sign a pledge saying that, if elected to Congress, they will take active steps to oppose gay marriage.

The pledge also supports a proposed change to the Alabama Republican Party’s bylaws that would expel any member of the party’s steering committee who takes a public position in favor of gay marriage.

Click here to read a copy of Young's pledge.

Griffith, a former deputy chief of staff of the Republican National Committee, said he helped write the definition of traditional marriage into the national party platform.

"Wells has always believed that marriage is absolutely defined as the union between one man and one woman. He is guided by his conservative and Christian values, and supports Alabama's law on marriage,” said Rob Lockwood, a spokesman for Griffith.

“Wells strongly believes in the platform of the Republican Party - and was given 'special thanks' by the authors of the platform for his involvement in putting it together. He is glad that other candidates value the document that he helped assemble.”

Dyas, Hillyer and James offered more detailed responses, which I’ll reprint in full below.

Hillyer, a former columnist for the American Spectator and the Press-Register in Mobile, addressed each of the six points in Young’s pledge individually – even suggesting some grammatical corrections.

"YOUNG: 1. I believe that the only marriage is between one man and one woman.

HILLYER: I believe that marriage can only occur between one man and one woman.

YOUNG: 2. I believe the Biblical condemnation of homosexuality and thereby gay marriage.

HILLYER: I believe the Bible condemns homosexual relations and thereby gay marriage.

YOUNG: 3. The tenants of my church oppose gay marriage.

HILLYER: The tenets of my church oppose gay marriage.

YOUNG: 4. I oppose gay marriage.

HILLYER: I oppose gay marriage.

YOUNG: 5. As a member of Congress, I shall take active steps to oppose gay marriage.

HILLYER: As a member of Congress, I shall take active steps to oppose gay marriage.

YOUNG: 6. I support the by-law change to expel any member of the Republican Executive Committee who opposes the party position by supporting gay marriage.

HILLYER: The Republican Executive Committee is not a Soviet-style Politburo. Republican voters, not the executive committee itself, determine who sits on the committee. I do not believe in centrally controlled ideological lockstep. While I as a voter will not vote for a candidate to the executive committee who supports homosexual marriage, I wholeheartedly oppose this attempt to strip anybody from duly elected membership on the basis of disagreement with a single platform provision."

Hillyer also took a swipe at Young for declining to accept an earlier pledge issued by Hillyer in which he called on the GOP candidates not to attack each other with negative ads.
                            You ever wonder if people who oppose gay marriage do so out of habit, or they're just in total denial about the world? Does anyone really have a genuine reason to be opposed to it anymore?

I was raised Irish catholic. Not exactly evangelical, but the word "gay" does not exist in my family. Almost totally republican.

I drove home last weekend on short notice to bury my late uncle, and we had an impromptu family reunion of sorts at his wake. Looking around, I saw several gay couples, one of which I've known since she was born. This isn't a huge family were talking about, either. They each introduced their significant other as their "friend." Now anybody with two eyes could see the obvious, but we just went on as if nothing was out of the ordinary, when I know damn well many of them tow the party line of being anti-gay marriage.

I bring this up because most families have at least one gay member, open or not, and if you grew up with them, you know either way. Conservative families are not exempt from this (dick Cheney is the most famous example). How people can keep burying their heads in the sand is beyond me.

It sort of reminds me of King of the Hill where everybody (but Bill) knows Nancy and John Redcorn are having an affair, but they just pretend it isn't happening for whatever reason. You don't ask, they don't tell, but that doesn't change reality.
                            Last edited by Kstat; September 1, 2013, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Thread title: random thought.....

"Must go dig out old King of the Hill DVDs"

Thanks kstat.
                              "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• This is why you're fat

Lions fans, take note: A study published in ?Psychological Science? suggests that fans of losing NFL teams eat significantly worse than those of winning teams.

The study, conducted over a 14-day period during the 2004 season and again one year later, measured saturated fat and caloric consumption of 726 participants from Sundays through Tuesdays in major NFL cities.

In short, saturated fat consumption increased 28% after losses and decreased 16% after wins. The biggest increases came after narrow losses; the biggest decreases came after blowout wins.
                                "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                                Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Working...
                                X