Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and wear clothes?
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

Because Goofy is you or me with a good ole dog personification.

.......and Micky did not need a pet when he was born, he needed co-stars.;-)
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

How come non-stick teflon sticks to the pan.
        "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

Why is flammable and inflammable the same thing?
          "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
          Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

Why is the word cunt the worst word to say? Asshole, while sounding fine conjures up a much dirtier and grotesque image. Cunt means pussy, which you can practically feel confident saying in church to another churchperson. I mean, is it because cunt "sounds" dirty? Really? We are this unevolved as a society that we judge the degree of filth a word has by the way it sounds? Well guess what buddy, "fuck" doesn't sound so dirty in my eyes, so "nice fucking sermon asshole".
            The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

Just heard on the radio, it takes over 5000 years for a plastic bottle to bio-degrade. How the F do they know that? Have they found old Coke bottles used by Cavemen? Maybe not a random thought, but it's certainly a random timespan.
              "How long will we say it takes these to bio-degrade, Bob?"
              "Err, dunno, buddy. How does 7000 years sound?"
              "7000 YEARS? They ain't gonna believe that shit. What about 5000?"
              "Sounds about right, go for that."
              "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

Will My Plastic Bag Still Be Here in 2507?

How scientists figure out how long it takes your trash to decompose.

By Juliet Lapidos|Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2007, at 6:20 PM

Download the MP3 audio version of this story here, or sign up for The Explainer's free daily podcast on iTunes.

How long will those bags last?

Starting July 1, most large grocery stores in the state of California will be legally required to recycle plastic shopping bags. In Europe, even stricter anti-plastic measures are gaining traction. Retailers in Modbury, England, for example, recently committed to an outright plastic-bag ban. News reports have cited a statistic that the ubiquitous receptacles take 500 years to break down in landfills. How do we know?

Actually, we don't. Plastic bags have only been around for about 50 years, so there's no firsthand evidence of their decomposition rate. To make long-term estimates of this sort, scientists often use respirometry tests. The experimenters place a solid waste sample—like a newspaper, banana peel, or plastic bag—in a vessel containing microbe-rich compost, then aerate the mixture. Over the course of several days, microorganisms assimilate the sample bit by bit and produce carbon dioxide; the resultant CO2 level serves as an indicator of degradation.

Advertisement

Respirometry tests work perfectly for newspapers and banana peels. (Newspapers take two to five months to biodegrade in a compost heap; banana peels take several days.) But when scientists test generic plastic bags, nothing happens—there's no CO2 production and no decomposition. Why? The most common type of plastic shopping bag—the kind you get at supermarkets—is made of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene"]Polyethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame], a man-made polymer that microorganisms don't recognize as food.

So, where does the 500-year statistic come from? Although standard polyethylene bags don't biodegrade, they do photodegrade. When exposed to ultraviolet radiation from sunlight, polyethylene's polymer chains become brittle and start to crack. This suggests that plastic bags will eventually fragment into microscopic granules. As of yet, however, scientists aren't sure how many centuries it takes for the sun to work its magic. That's why certain news sources cite a 500-year estimate while others prefer a more conservative 1,000-year lifespan. According to some plastics experts, all these figures are just another way of saying "a really, really long time."

Sometimes, even banana peels don't decompose once they reach the landfill. For sanitary reasons, modern landfills are lined on the bottom with clay and plastic to keep waste from escaping into the soil and are covered daily with a layer of earth to reduce odor. The landfill, then, acts like a trash tomb—the garbage within receives little air, water, or sunlight. This means that even readily degradable waste objects, including paper and food scraps, are more likely to mummify than decompose.
                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

Royal Fucking Baby?

Why does anyone give a fuck?
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                    Just heard on the radio, it takes over 5000 years for a plastic bottle to bio-degrade. How the F do they know that? Have they found old Coke bottles used by Cavemen? Maybe not a random thought, but it's certainly a random timespan.
                    "How long will we say it takes these to bio-degrade, Bob?"
                    "Err, dunno, buddy. How does 7000 years sound?"
                    "7000 YEARS? They ain't gonna believe that shit. What about 5000?"
                    "Sounds about right, go for that."
                    I love it.
                    "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                      Royal Fucking Baby?

Somebody once did.

Comment

I have always been amazed at the use of "ough" in the English language. And how the sequence of letters has so many different pronunciations.

From Wickipedia ...
                        There are seven different ways to pronounce -ough: 1) though (like o in go), 2) through (like oo in too), 3) cough (like off in offer), 4) rough (like uff in suffer), 5) plough (like ow in flower), 6) ought (like aw in saw), and 7) borough (like a in above). Hmmm, I always thought (like aw in saw) that a borough (like oh in row) was a small village....

Maybe that's just a, as in the secondary spelling, hicough (like up in cup).

Comment

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          Royal Fucking Baby?

Because even though it does not mean the same as it did 100 years ago, it is still the birth of an heir to the throne.

.......and BTW our British ancestors taught us a thing or two about supremacy of the seas. ;-)
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Nothing but a bunch of fucking ugly-ass rich inbreds

Really. Who gives a shit?
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

What? The Royal Baby is from Alabama?

Comment

Ha! When it comes to inbreeding Alabama has nothing on Northern Michigan and Wisconsin...

Comment

Working...
                                X