No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

In 1958, the Detroit Lions went 4-7-1 on the heels of a championship season, then 3-8-1 in 1959. They were considered blips. A team with the Lions history would be right back in the championship conversation real soon, the conventional wisdom said. There's no way a team with their history could be anything but contenders.

I think we all know the story from there. The Lions became the joke of the NFL and haven't seriously been in the championship discussion for the last 60 years. Hell, the only reason they are still in the NFL at all is because there's no relegation.

Incompetence trumps history every single time. The people in charge at AV don't even look like they know what soccer is, much less how to put together an actual coherent team. If they don't manage to get back into the EPL next year... they probably aren't getting back in for a while. And even if they do manage to squeak back in, I don't see how their stay will be particularly long without a complete retooling of their executive staff.
      Chem, you realize arguably the greatest team in Detroit history was the 1962 team - right? Joe Schmidt's quote about that loss to GB that season I never forgot. "We never should have thrown the ball, we should have ran Nick. Yale could have punted that ball all the way to Milwaukee - we should have made them earn it". The other meeting was the 11 sack destruction of GB on Thanksgiving.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm aware that the Lions had some good teams after their last championship. But those teams became the blips. They became the exception rather than the rule.

My point still stands. Incompetence trumps history, and Aston Villa (in this case) is led by incompetence. There's no excuse for a team with the resources they (will soon not) have to be languishing mid-table in England's second division. And when they lose that stipend, all bets are off. They can't even field a decent side with the financial advantage. What do you think is going to happen if they try to start budgeting like the rest of the second flight?

Hell... they might get relegated again within the next three years.

(Though admittedly that is a highly unlikely nightmare scenario that would require owners willing to suffer that humiliation without selling off and the Ford-like stubbornness to continue on their current course with their current leadership.)
        Last edited by chemiclord; September 23, 2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Meanwhile... in golf related news; Tiger Woods might just be back, ya'll. And not even in an "old man puncher's chance" sort of way. He finished REAL strong, and capped it by winning The Tour Championship.

Comment

• The Villains will be back, but they are like a few teams that are too big for the lower leagues but too small to truly compete in the Premier League.

Liverpool top of the table but their schedule is pretty daunting for the next few weeks, I wonder if they punt Tuesday's game versus Chelsea.

Comment

• "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• They have to play Chelsea in the league cup Tuesday and then Saturday. It will interesting to see what lineups both teams run out there.

Comment

Comment

• I took a peek at the Scottish table and Hibernian is currently second ahead of the Brog and Rangers. Unfortunately they are staring up at the Jambos. A quick look at the schedule reveals they have had a soft schedule so far in the premiereship, that changes for the next couple fixtures, Celtic and then the Jambos.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      I took a peek at the Scottish table and Hibernian is currently second ahead of the Brog and Rangers. Unfortunately they are staring up at the Jambos. A quick look at the schedule reveals they have had a soft schedule so far in the premiereship, that changes for the next couple fixtures, Celtic and then the Jambos.
                      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• It is a must win to beat Hearts or they may run away with it.

Comment

Comment

• Sad day for Leicester City F.C.
                            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Terrible news

Comment

• Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X