No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no idea what sport you are going on about there, buddy! Never heard of it in Scotland.By the sound of it, I think I'd rather toss a caber if I'm honest.
    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Awesome stuff, Essek......., Croatia 2 Spain 1......, and winning the group! CROATIA!!! I hope you are celebrating tonight. :-D

Panellists talking about the Croatian keeper stepping two yards off his line before ball was kicked. But fk them, wasn't even a penalty in the first place. Silva always falls to the floor too easy.

Looking like an Italy v Spain last 16 game. Very tasty indeed!

Raising a few bottles to Croatia tonight, Essek.
      "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
        I have no idea what sport you are going on about there, buddy! Never heard of it in Scotland.By the sound of it, I think I'd rather toss a caber if I'm honest.
        Oh, don't even get me started on golf.

I'll let Robin Williams do it instead.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSXMS8ABAAU"]Robin Williams Standup - Golf (full version) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• I miss Robin Williams. Absolute genius.

This made me laugh tonight. New Tennents Lager advert. Its not all bad Scotland not making it to Euro16.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdobxD45xk0"]Haste Ye Back... - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Haha, nice one!
            2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• "I miss Robin Williams. Absolute genius."
              ------------------------------Yep.
              GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Whelp, if the U.S. was looking to win over new fans, that steaming deuce they dropped tonight isn't going to do it.

Comment

• That was a bare bottom spanking, I expected it but it was even worse watching it live. For whatever reason the Argentines really always play well against the US. I've seen the US play very good against Italy, Spain, Brazil and Germany. I don't recall any game against Argentina where they were in the same zip code.

Not that it was going to make a difference, but Wondolowski? WTF, he's the Mike Pelfrey of the USMNT.

Comment

• Michael Bradley's play seems so lazy. Turns the ball over like Bob Gagliano.

That was like watching Alabama play Tennessee Chattanooga.

Comment

• They should have been playing Sweet Georgia Brown in the background.

Agree on Bradley, at one time he was the bright star of the team, but it has been some time since that was still true.

I thought they would have parked the bus inside the net but they didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        For whatever reason the Argentines really always play well against the US.
                        Really? Because the reason seems patently obvious.

The Argentines are great. The Americans are painfully average at best, and total puke garbage every other time.

There's your reason.

Comment

• No shit Sherlock, what are you an ass all the time? Of course Argentina is great.

There have been times where US has played pretty well against the great teams. In the 2002 World Cup , they played Germany really well, Germany should have been called for a handball. In the last World Cup they lost to Germany but it wasn't terrible like last night's thrashing.

In the 2009 Confederations Cup they broke Spain's 35 game winning streak. The Spanish team was the best in the World at the time. They ended up losing in the final to Brazil but they were up 2-0 at half. They've beaten Italy in Italy. Last year the same team beat Germany in Germany.

Yesterday was just bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            No shit Sherlock, what are you an ass all the time? Of course Argentina is great.

There have been times where US has played pretty well against the great teams. In the 2002 World Cup , they played Germany really well, Germany should have been called for a handball. In the last World Cup they lost to Germany but it wasn't terrible like last night's thrashing.

In the 2009 Confederations Cup they broke Spain's 35 game winning streak. The Spanish team was the best in the World at the time. They ended up losing in the final to Brazil but they were up 2-0 at half. They've beaten Italy in Italy. Last year the same team beat Germany in Germany.

Yesterday was just bad.
                            Oh, so the USMNT about once a year catches lightning in a bottle. Ya don't say. The Milwaukee Bucks beat Golden State once this year, but there wasn't anyone wondering why the Warriors finished 73-9 at the end of the regular season and the Bucks were 33-49.

I'm an ass because you're thinking about this WAY too hard trying to find a way not to call a spade a spade.

You bring up the handful of times they play up to their level of competition, but conveniently ignore the far greater number of times they lay an egg on the pitch.

They haven't beaten Argentina because... well... they aren't good enough to even play on Argentina's level regularly. Every other example you list are small sample size victories.

You mention Germany, yet fail to mention their record against the Germans all time is 4-7-0. That's actually not all that much better than their record against the Argentines (2-7-2).

How about Brazil? 1-17-0. Oh.
                            Columbia? 3-11-4. Hmmm...
                            Belgium? 1-5-0. Ya know, I think I'm starting to see a pattern here...
                            Spain? 1-4-0. Hmm... they've actually fared worse against Spain than the Argentines. Interesting...

But here's the kicker. Here's what sums up the U.S. issue in a nutshell. Good ol' Mexico. Our "rival." The one that USMNT fans love to pretend we give it to as well as we get.

18-35-14. Pretty much right on par with our winning percentages against any other quality team.

The USMNT isn't good, and they never really have been. That's the reason they can't beat or even hang with Argentina. Because they don't beat or even hang with ANY team of ANY consistent quality.

You can stop now. The mystery is solved.
                            Last edited by chemiclord; June 22, 2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                              Oh, so the USMNT about once a year catches lightning in a bottle. Ya don't say. The Milwaukee Bucks beat Golden State once this year, but there wasn't anyone wondering why the Warriors finished 73-9 at the end of the regular season and the Bucks were 33-49.

I'm an ass because you're thinking about this WAY too hard trying to find a way not to call a spade a spade.

You bring up the handful of times they play up to their level of competition, but conveniently ignore the far greater number of times they lay an egg on the pitch.

They haven't beaten Argentina because... well... they aren't good enough to even play on Argentina's level regularly. Every other example you list are small sample size victories.

You mention Germany, yet fail to mention their record against the Germans all time is 4-7-0. That's actually not all that much better than their record against the Argentines (2-7-2).

How about Brazil? 1-17-0. Oh.
                              Columbia? 3-11-4. Hmmm...
                              Belgium? 1-5-0. Ya know, I think I'm starting to see a pattern here...
                              Spain? 1-4-0. Hmm... they've actually fared worse against Spain than the Argentines. Interesting...

But here's the kicker. Here's what sums up the U.S. issue in a nutshell. Good ol' Mexico. Our "rival." The one that USMNT fans love to pretend we give it to as well as we get.

18-35-14. Pretty much right on par with our winning percentages against any other quality team.

The USMNT isn't good, and they never really have been. That's the reason they can't beat or even hang with Argentina. Because they don't beat or even hang with ANY team of ANY consistent quality.

You can stop now. The mystery is solved.
                              Shouldn't those kinds of stats be in the Lions News thread ????
                              The only logical explanation is:
                              I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• Originally posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
                                Shouldn't those kinds of stats be in the Lions News thread ????
                                That's kinda funny, actually. The USMNT has a lot of parallels to the Detroit Lions of the Super Bowl era. Yet I don't see Froot wondering why or how the Lions don't seem to be able to hang with the Patriots.

Comment

Working...
                                X