Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
    Many years ago a friend invited my wife and I to a NeckCar race (California 500?) in Fontana on a full on comped VIP pkg with apparent great seats. He loves that stuff, us not so much, not even live and free.

After about the 1st 30 laps, we excused ourselves for a bathroom break and never left the cool (due to misters) beer garden until the annoying race was over. We enjoyed the great, free cold beer though.

My bro visited us a couple times. He knew what was up.

I reciprocated the favor later on by taking him to a Winternationals drag race in Pomona which we both really enjoyed. I'll knock you out of the way to get to a drag race.
    Heh, heh.

Sonoma is a road race and road races are very difficult for the spectator because the view is limited and you only get to see the action that is in front of you. Being in a VIP section you get to be by TV monitors but, it makes no difference, road races are poor spectating sports.

The oval track is a little better because if you are in the stands and not the infield, you can see the whole track.

Drag racing is king though!

We used to have a strip downriver that ran races every Sunday in the summer. My best buddie used to pick me up and for $5 we got pit passes and hung around all day. Much like Nascar, you could get shoulder to shoulder to the top drivers in the NHRA.

I believe still run races in Milan which is a bit further away, and I have not been to one in 20 years. Looks like that might be a summer project.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Right on.

Starting back in the late 70's my (now ex-) Uncle would bring his 3 boys (still my favorite guy 1st cousins) and pick up us other boy nephews /cousins in Orange County, throw us all in the back of his pickup (still legal back then) on the way to Orange County International Raceway that was just south of the El Toro Air Base. We did this for years with pit passes (most of the time).

We met all the greats of that era and always had the drivers sign our shirts or posters or 8x10's. Of course 9-14 year olds would destroy the signed items before the night was over but the meet and greets live on in memory.

I distinctly remember the fun of using 'water weenies' to soak each other and the crowd. Not to mention the water balloon launchers we (everyone there) would bring.

I can still see the night sky lit up with nitro breathing beasts, wheelie cars and of course the insanely entertaining fire breathing jet rigs (trucks, buses, semis, etc.).

Ah, the good old days before OCIR and eventually the air base closed down. Pomona International works but it will never replicate the joys of my childhood drag race events. EVER.

pands

Our NeckCar race seats were half way up the stadium seats near the pole (in front of finish line). Apparently great seats where you could see the whole track. Didn't care, didn't like the racing.

As for mentioning El Toro Air Base, that's important to my memories because it never sucks to see and hear (back then) F-14 and 16 jets doing their thing. Along with Chinook and Super Stallion helos. It's what inspired me to fly for the Marines until my physical disclosed color blindness that would keep me from ever flying for the military.
      Last edited by Panoptes; July 14, 2017, 12:49 PM.
      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
        It's what inspired me to fly for the Marines until my physical disclosed color blindness that would keep me from ever flying for the military.
        I say thank fuck for that, mate........ you'd be out on your own bombing fuck out of the Liberals and the Chinese!
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Yeah, I didn't say I took the psych test part. ;)

Comment

• @Marko have u seen this? Can't make this shit up, next week Osijek will burn, speachless
            http://www.scribd.com/doc/7781751/Osijek-In-Your-Pocket

Comment

• I hope not. It looks very nice in your picture, essek.
              2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Read all about it, Essek. You are very correct, you can't make this up at all. Apparently started by a cigarette butt in SW France. The Southern Europe temperatures are not helping.

Certainly hoping it can be brought under control and preserve the gorgeous, picturesque town of Osijek and keep that potential life changing stress away from yourself and family, and the population.

AND for soccer reasons also. Your team had an unbelievable win tonight in Eindhoven. They need to finish that job, IN OSIJEK, next week. Hopefully those firefighters can get it done.
                "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• It's just figure of speech i wanted to say that next will nobody with interest in sports will miss this. Osijek fortunately doesn't have problem with fire, but yes Europe does.

This was probably biggest night in FC Osijek history

Comment

• Originally posted by essek031 View Post
                    @Marko have u seen this? Can't make this shit up, next week Osijek will burn, speachless
                    I thought you were meaning those fires, but you mean they'll burn and be well and truly defeated?! Nooo....., home soil....., any draw will do. Capacity crowd for one of the most difficult games for Osijek in their history. Hope you are going to it, Essek.

Comment

• Interested in seeing professional soccer coming to Detroit?

I didn't think so.

But, just in case you were, here is a pretty good article on the subject.

I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Juan are you talking about?

Comment

• So what they are suggesting is they want to essentially build Wembley in the U.S. and park that stadium in Detroit? ROFL, call me a paramedic I think I've inhaled when I should have exhaled and with it came a swig of coffee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                            I thought you were meaning those fires, but you mean they'll burn and be well and truly defeated?! Nooo....., home soil....., any draw will do. Capacity crowd for one of the most difficult games for Osijek in their history. Hope you are going to it, Essek.

I'm season holder last few years and wouldn't miss this for world, I still can't belive

Comment

• Marko...going to be in Edinburgh Sept 16. Hibernian is hosting Motherwell. Need some help/tips...where is the best place to get tickets? Is there any reason to buy the "hospitality" package? What area of the stadium do the visitiors sit in? Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                                So what they are suggesting is they want to essentially build Wembley in the U.S. and park that stadium in Detroit? ROFL, call me a paramedic I think I've inhaled when I should have exhaled and with it came a swig of coffee.
                                I'm not sure it will be Wembley, the space is not that big. The jail site fiasco is a mess, Gilbert has the better plan, but who knows if it gets a stadium. The question is what is the next step. Wayne County is moving ahead with Gilbert's plan, but Detroit is looked on as a dark horse by MLS. So if they don't get a team, then they scrap the idea of a stadium. It seems like some hidden strings are attached.

Comment

Working...
                                X