No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great post Tony,...., it's fantastic, especially seeing the bridge which is five minute walk from ma hoose, but what is the significance with the soccer/Nascar thread?
    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• it's the thread most likely to be inhabited by some cross eyed scot who could comment on it
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Definitely a proud nation, guilty of making many other nations cross eyed with picture 12.
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• A truly beautiful place. I will get there some day.

Comment

• you can, it's only a lifted cork away....
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
              A truly beautiful place. I will get there some day.
              It certainly is, Bimmer. When you do make it here, visit picture 8. Glencoe. There is no better drive for Scottish scenery, and for feeling the very essence of this country. You'll never forget it.

A bit like Messi's goal tonight against Bosnia......, unbelievable.

Comment

• Bosnia made a good stand, congrats to them, first game and first goal in WC tournaments
                http://www.scribd.com/doc/7781751/Osijek-In-Your-Pocket

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                  It certainly is, Bimmer. When you do make it here, visit picture 8. Glencoe. There is no better drive for Scottish scenery, and for feeling the very essence of this country. You'll never forget it.

A bit like Messi's goal tonight against Bosnia......, unbelievable.
                  That's for the recommendation Marko. It would be hard to make a pick from those pictures, so having a local expert would be the way to go. It appears that the Scottish are good at maintaining the natural beauty of the land. What are building codes like over there? With all that historical architecture I would assume they would be careful with what gets built around it?

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
                    That's for the recommendation Marko. It would be hard to make a pick from those pictures, so having a local expert would be the way to go. It appears that the Scottish are good at maintaining the natural beauty of the land. What are building codes like over there? With all that historical architecture I would assume they would be careful with what gets built around it?
                    Extremely careful with new developments throughout Scotland. In Edinburgh, the building codes are both great, but also a bit of pain at times. Very strict. Most, if not all, of the Old Town is "listed". Even the installation of a simple air vent to accommodate a >7KW gas fire, has to go through various levels of paperwork to be accepted. Obviously if it's not passed, the fire can't be installed. Its happened many times.
                    In picture one up there, (with Arthur's Seat and the Salisbury Crags in the background) you will see, at the bottom left, the start of a bridge. That's the North Bridge. That links Old Town Edinburgh with the New Town. Good luck trying to get a flue system for a boiler (furnace) passed in the Old Town. So it's definitely a good thing as it's keeping my city absolutely gorgeous, but it can be problematic.
                    Incidentally, if you follow the Salisbury Crags further to the left in that picture, you end up arriving at the Lochend area and Hibernians stadium. It's very convenient, as it's not far to walk, climb, then jump off after watching Hibs.

Comment

• This is Easter Road, Bimmer. The Hibernian Stadium is along Bothwell street on the left there with the blue shop on the corner. As you can see, the Salisbury Crags stretch all the way around to the Leith area.

Last edited by Marko69; June 16, 2014, 05:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the picture. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by essek031 View Post
                        Bosnia made a good stand, congrats to them, first game and first goal in WC tournaments
                        They certainly had the Argentinians flapping a bit in the last few minutes. Hopefully they beat Nigeria next game. We (Scotland) played Nigeria a few weeks ago in London, (2-2 draw) they were nothing special.

Comment

• this is superb.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tuefYS_34xg[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                            It's very convenient, as it's not far to walk, climb, then jump off after watching Hibs.
                            Ha! With that perspective, I can see what attracted you to the Lions.

Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
                            This is Easter Road, Bimmer. The Hibernian Stadium is along Bothwell street on the left there with the blue shop on the corner. As you can see, the Salisbury Crags stretch all the way around to the Leith area.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Edinburgh.jpg
                            Very nice. Here in the U.S. someone would have figured out a way to line those crags with homes and messed the whole thing up.

Looking at Easter Road it is hard to imagine a big stadium just to the left.

Comment

• Ok, Bimmer. Look at this photo. At the very very bottom left....., those tenements are just behind the ones you see near Bothwell street on other Easter road picture.
                              If you look mid picture left, and the road with the red car parked..... That's Albion Road which leads to Easter Road. That is the main road fans walk along to reach the stadium from Leith.
                              If you look at the top of picture and the green gates at the roadside....., that's where we enter as our season tickets are for that East Stand.

Edit: That particular East Stand was demolished a few years back though, and this is the new one. Those green gates are still there though, just slightly further along the road nearer those flats. You can see this through the gap in the stands.
                              Last edited by Marko69; June 16, 2014, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• This is where soccer should become like a USA sport. Go to a man in the booth and see that Muller is a cheating , diving German tit, and HE should be sent off for acting up. Pepe hardly touched him. Pepe shouldn't have gone near him after the incident, but the only reason he did was because he hardly touched him. And now it's 3-0! Farcical.

Comment

Working...
                                X