NFL News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LightninBoy View Post
    But this article, written by Keenum himself, is incredible. Its long but worth it IMO. How do you not root for this guy?

Easy, I don't want his team to win.
    Get 'er done Matthew!

Comment

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
      uhm, this wouldn't be an issue in many states.
      Well, sort of, but that's a different argument for a non-sports related board...

The point (and the problem) here isn't whether or not Marijuana should be legal. The point is no matter what your personal opinion of it is, it is currently prohibited by the NFL. That means either one (or both) of two things:

1. Rules don't apply to Foster

2. He is addicted*

There is no option three and both are serious issues. It doesn't matter if it's marijuana or any other rule the NFL has in place. It doesn't even matter if you don't like the rule. The fact is it is a rule and the NFL has made it abundantly clear that if you brake that rule there is going to be a consequence, and that consequence is likely not being able to play.

His poor decision put himself above his teammates, the team officials, and the fans and also put a once in a lifetime opportunity of playing in the NFL at risk. That shows a lack of intelligence and a self-centeredness, and neither are desirable traits.

* I will say that if he is in fact addicted then I do have a little more compassion for him. However, it is still incumbent upon him to seek treatment.

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson

Comment

• #2 isn't the issue. That is more of a social hurdle he hasn't cleared yet - i.e. being able to tell the people he hangs out with he ain't doing that shit anymore. If #2 was the issue he'd have been suspended during the season because addicts can't leave the shit alone - they are after all addicted.

That lightbulb apparently goes off for people at different ages. For me, it was when I hit 19 because for some stupid ass reason I felt like I needed to do that shit to "fit in". Even knowing full well I could get fried in the military if I got caught, the fear of not "fitting in" seemed to be greater.

Comment

• Until weed is no longer a substance for which you can be suspended in the NFL, this will be an issue that is a factor when drafting/signing players. It’s a stupid policy at this point but until a bunch of old white dudes who think pot is bad are no longer in charge, it will probably remain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
            #2 isn't the issue. That is more of a social hurdle he hasn't cleared yet - i.e. being able to tell the people he hangs out with he ain't doing that shit anymore. If #2 was the issue he'd have been suspended during the season because addicts can't leave the shit alone - they are after all addicted.

That lightbulb apparently goes off for people at different ages. For me, it was when I hit 19 because for some stupid ass reason I felt like I needed to do that shit to "fit in". Even knowing full well I could get fried in the military if I got caught, the fear of not "fitting in" seemed to be greater.
            But smoke all the cigarettes you can buy at the PX son.

Smoke em if you got em.
            SHOW me. Don't TELL me. Still waiting....
            Play stupid games ...Win stupid prizes

Comment

• Hehe, I only smoked cigarettes in Basic Training because I was so amped up even when we had nothing to do I felt like I had to be doing something. Took another 2 years to give up the occasional joint/hash bowl. My legal drug of choice after that was Alcohol, and it took me till I was 23 to realize I didn't have to drink the whole 6 pack in one sitting every time I bought one.

Comment

• At 50, if I have A beer, it's the greatest sleeping pill ever. I have to drink more than one or I'm done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                  Hehe, I only smoked cigarettes in Basic Training because I was so amped up even when we had nothing to do I felt like I had to be doing something. Took another 2 years to give up the occasional joint/hash bowl. My legal drug of choice after that was Alcohol, and it took me till I was 23 to realize I didn't have to drink the whole 6 pack in one sitting every time I bought one.
                  They let you have cigarettes at Basic Training? Has to be the Air Force.

Smoking marijuana will never be one of those things you can just 'do' because it causes mental impairment. Regardless of your feelings on marijuana either way, it does. When it is finally legalized it will be treated like alcohol. There are plenty of jobs where you will be fired even if you get a DUI out of work. This is common sense stuff.
                  1. Todd Gurley RB 2. Eddie Goldman DT 3. Tre McBride WR 5-7 OL Depth

Comment

• In 1981, it was smoke 'em if you got 'em. Literally. Only after the days activities were over (like 8:00 pm) when everyone was shining boots for the next day. We did Police Call before Police Call, because you didn't want to go through the riot act if the DI found a cigarette butt anywhere. Fort Sill, OK - OSUT Field Artillery.

Comment

• I grew up near two active military bases (El Toro & Marine Corps Air Station Tustin) and all the GI's, young or old, living off base in my 'hood smoked something or other all the time. And could drink like fish.

Comment

• I tend to get Basic Training and AIT confused because in an OSUT unit you did both together, 13 weeks long. Same DI, just gets a little more relaxed once you get further into things.

Our DI was on vacation in Hawaii for the first 4 weeks, and the other DI's couldn't stand him so they tried to set us up for failure. When we finally met him our 5th-8th weeks were essentially 1st-4th weeks all over again. Riot act city. When other platoons got a weekend pass in week 8, we had a GI party and emptied the entire WWII style barracks - bunks, footlockers, everything.

Comment

• Why would AF be more relaxed on potentially hazardous vices than Army? Someone has their service branch jokes mixed up. Never mind guitarjack not realizing every service practically buoyed the tobacco industry until the late 80s/early 90s. Just think: you could smoke cigarettes in RIP in the nineties. Now you just get people to send you gum and snort the hot sauce rations.

Only recently has not smoking cigarettes NOT guaranteed you'd be doing all the menial tasks.

What are we even talking about any way? NFL being the league where entire careers are derailed over a hot piss test for pot and a dude who assaults a woman takes a couple game break?

Comment

• I think that is about the jist of it.
                            Chemiclord: Holy shit. DWT can't possibly be THIS dense... Can he?

Comment

• Now the question is... do the Titans go after McDaniels or Patricia? Titans GM, Jon Robinson, is kind of like Bob Quinn. A young ex-NE front office person.
                              I'll point out Chip Kelly was the lead guy to go to Florida. UCLA made a move to fire Jim Mora Jr and hijacked the coaching carousel to get Chip Kelly. Happened out of nowhere late in the process.
                              Titans better go after McDaniels!!! ... as Schefter things will happen.

Titans, Mike Mularkey mutually agree to part ways
                              http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...gree-part-ways
                              Go Detroit Lions!

Comment

• If their goal is to build a scheme around Mariota, I'd think McDaniels or Shurmur would make more sense than Patricia.

I'm still surprised that the Lions didn't go for McDaniels
                                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

Working...
                                X