NFL News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

I was saying that several years ago when they completely dumped all of their good WRs and RBs and here they are. Champs.
    Lol, this is a team that has figured out how to get serviceable use out of Cordarelle Patterson by using him as a RB and people are worried about them offensively? They are so far ahead of the curve on how to utilize whatever talent they have to get the most out of them it's pathetic.

Comment

• Reports: Coaches frustrated with lack of replay action at league meetings

Posted by Josh Alper on March 25, 2019, 7:08 PM EDT
      Getty Images

Saints coach Sean Payton aired his displeasure with the possibility that the league will not make changes to the replay system to allow for coaches to challenge missed penalties during games.

He apparently isn’t the only coach that feels this way. According to multiple reports, a Monday meeting between the league’s coaches and the Competition Committee ran longer than expected because of coaches venting frustration with the feeling that things aren’t going to change.

“It was, ‘Why can’t we get this done?'” one coach said, via Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

Any rules change would take a vote of 24 of the 32 teams, but it is ownership casting the votes rather than coaches. In this Monday’s Football Morning in America, Peter King reported the likeliest change to be approved is a one-year trial that would allow for challenges on pass interference penalties. That would not cover calls that aren’t made on the field and that doesn’t seem to make the people throwing the challenge flags all that happy.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Bucs expected to sign Blaine Gabbert

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 25, 2019, 4:01 PM EDT
        Getty Images

If you’re a quarterback who was ever drafted in the first round, you will be able to find work long past your expiration date.

According to Greg Auman of The Athletic, the Buccaneers are expected to sign Blaine Gabbert, for some reason.

Gabbert has the requisite background with coach Bruce Arians, playing for him in Arizona in 2017. He was cut by the Titans last week when they upgraded by training for Ryan Tannehill.

Gabbert has also played for the 49ers and the Jaguars, who took him 10th overall in the 2011 NFL Draft. That was the year many allegedly serious analysts (including a guy who is a General Manager on an NFL team now) suggested he was better than top pick Cam Newton.

The 29-year-old Gabbert has started 48 career games. His team won 13 of them. He’s also completed 56.2 percent of his passes, with 48 touchdowns and 47 interceptions.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• NFL votes to make all blindside blocks illegal

Posted by Charean Williams on March 26, 2019, 2:06 PM EDT
          Getty Images

The NFL has made its first rules change, one NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent predicted last month would pass easily.

Owners voted Tuesday to make blindside blocks illegal.

Previous rules prohibited only blindside blocks to the head and neck area, but the NFL coaches’ subcommittee recommended the change to banish all blindside blocks. One-third of all concussions on punts were caused by blindside blocks, the NFL’s health and safety department found.

Now, any forcible contact by the blocker with his head, shoulder or forearm is prohibited.

Owners will have longer, more lively and more divisive discussions on expanding replay as the day progresses.

Comment

• I guess the NFl will look more like the old NBA, with picks. Before it looks like the new NBA. SMH

Comment

• Bruce Arians keeps using the word “if” regarding Gerald McCoy

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 26, 2019, 1:22 PM EDT
              Getty Images

It seemed that defensive tackle Gerald McCoy‘s future in Tampa Bay was safe.

But comments made by new head coach Bruce Arians this morning made it seem like that was far from a safe assumption.

“He’s not as disruptive as he was four years ago, but he’s still a good player,” Arians said, via Greg Auman of The Athletic. “If he’s there, he’ll be our starting three. No doubt about that. . . .

“Would I like to see him more disruptive? Yeah. We can use him. If he’s here, he’s going to be used a bunch. It’s just a matter of what happens.”

Dropping a pair of “ifs” into the conversation could be telling, for a veteran set to make $13 million for a year. Arians also suggested he wants to see how motivated McCoy is.

“It’s very hard because we can’t get in pads,” Arians said of his motivation. “You still see it. You still see his enthusiasm for the game. If he still has all that, I’m fine. As a coach, I coach who I’ve got. I coach the guys that are there.”

That all sounds very conditional, and far less secure than we were led to believe previously.

Comment

• I think TB is waiting to see if they get Q Williams in the draft.

Comment

• I can see Indy making a strong play for him.

Comment

• Foolishness...
                    Kliff Kingsbury will give players “cellphone breaks” during meetings

Posted by Josh Alper on March 27, 2019, 7:27 AM EDT

Getty Images

Coaches around the NFL said they’ll be scratching their heads about how to prepare for the Cardinals offense early in head coach Kliff Kingsbury’s tenure because he’ll be doing things differently than most coaches.

Doing things differently will extend to Kingsbury’s own team as well. The former Texas Tech coach said on Tuesday that he will draw on his experience at the collegiate level by building “cellphone breaks” into his team meetings.

Kingsbury said that he saw how short the attention spans of young players are during his time in Lubbock and that he began breaking up the meetings into 20 or 30 minute chunks in order to be sure that coaches are “maximizing their time” with the players.

“You start to see kind of hands twitching and legs shaking, and you know they need to get that social media fix, so we’ll let them hop over there and then get back in the meeting and refocus,” Kingsbury said, via ESPN.com.

Like everything else about Kingsbury’s way of coaching a team, the results on the field will determine the ultimate reaction to an unusual way of doing things. If the Cardinals win, he’ll likely be praised for finding a way to engage his players effectively. If they lose, he’ll be criticized for failing to have the team properly focused on the job at hand.

Comment

• New rule will make draft order coin flips a thing of the past

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2019, 6:34 AM EDT
                      Getty Images

In past years, when two teams finished with the same record and the same strength of schedule, their draft order would be determined by a coin toss at the Scouting Combine. That won’t be the case anymore.

On Tuesday the league’s owners voted on new tiebreaking procedures for draft order that will make it virtually impossible for a coin toss to be needed.

In most cases, the new rule won’t change the draft order: The top pick will still go to the team with the worst record, the second pick to the team with the next-worst record, and so on, with strength of schedule as the primary tiebreaker.

What has changed is that now there are many, many more tiebreakers after strength of schedule. If there’s still a tie after strength of schedule is applied, tiebreakers will move on to head-to-head, record in common games, strength of victory, combined ranking in points scored and points allowed, net points in all games, and finally net touchdowns in all games. Only if two teams are exactly tied in every single one of those tiebreakers — something that is essentially impossible — would there be a coin toss.

So coin tosses are done, and the draft order will now be determined by results on the field.

Comment

• Report: Giants will explore a trade for Josh Rosen

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2019, 5:17 AM EDT
                        Getty Images

If the Cardinals are willing to trade quarterback Josh Rosen, the Giants want to talk.

The Giants are exploring every option for a successor to Eli Manning, including acquiring Rosen from the Cardinals, Ralph Vacchiano of SNY reports.

However, the Cardinals do not appear to be shopping Rosen at the moment. If Arizona chooses quarterback Kyler Murray with the first overall pick, then Rosen will likely be gone, but the Cardinals haven’t yet made that decision.

And the Giants wouldn’t necessarily prefer Rosen to a quarterback they could choose after the Cardinals take Murray. The Giants own the sixth and 17th picks in the first round of next month’s draft, and they might rather take Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins or Missouri quarterback Drew Lock, rather than trade for Rosen.

It’s unclear what the Cardinals will be able to get in a trade for Rosen. Last year they packaged their first-round pick, third-round pick and fifth-round pick to move up and take Rosen 10th overall. This year they certainly wouldn’t be able to acquire that kind of package for Rosen, and might have to settle for something like a second-round pick after Rosen’s rough rookie year.

So this is all very preliminary. But if the Cardinals do decide to draft Murray and trade Rosen, they know a team they should call.

Comment

• Authority for officiating office to eject players expanded to include football plays

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 27, 2019, 1:00 AM EDT
                          Getty Images

Last year, the NFL instituted a new policy allowing the league’s officiating office to advise on-field officials to eject players for flagrant non-football fouls committed on the field.

A year later, that policy has been expanded to include football plays as well.

The amended rule merely inserts authority over football plays to the already existing language of the rule. The change will allow designated members of the league’s officiating office in New York to determine that a flagrant foul, such as blows to the head of an opponent, are worthy of disqualification. Previously, only on-field officials could make the determination about whether to eject players for such plays.

For instance, Carolina Panthers safety Eric Reid was ejected from a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers last November after forcibly contacting Ben Roethlisberger‘s head as he slid to the ground. If the on-field officials hadn’t concluded Reid needed to be ejected on the spot, the league office could now communicate with the officials prior to the next play to say that Reid should be disqualified.

It would seem unlikely this additional authority would come into play all that often. However, it is just one more thing for the league office to have some control on from their offices in New York City.

Comment

• Isaiah Crowell set to visit Raiders

Posted by Josh Alper on March 26, 2019, 10:02 PM EDT
                            Getty Images

Raiders General Manager Mike Mayock indicated the team will wait until after the draft to determine whether Marshawn Lynch will be back with the team for another season, but they aren’t waiting to talk to another veteran back.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that former Jets and Browns running back Isaiah Crowell is set to visit with the team on Thursday. The Jets released Crowell after Le'Veon Bell agreed to join the team as a free agent earlier this month.

Crowell ran 143 times for 685 yards and six touchdowns in his lone season with the Jets. He had 3,118 yards and 21 touchdowns on 737 carries over four seasons in Cleveland.

Lynch and Doug Martin are both free agents and a deal with Crowell would likely mean the door is closed on at least one of them being back in Oakland. Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington are the remaining backs from last year’s roster.

Comment

• Rooney: Expansion of replay for pass interference only was “a compromise”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2019, 8:15 PM EDT
                              Getty Images

The expansion of replay review to include pass interference (offensive and defensive) means that replay review won’t expand to include roughing the passer and illegal contact with a defenseless receiver, at least for now.

As explained by Steelers owner Art Rooney II, the decision to limit the growth of replay to one foul and one foul only was aimed at getting any expansion through.

“It was pretty narrow and from our perspective,” Rooney said after the session culminating in the new rule, via Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com. “We weren’t that interested in having a lot of expansion of replay. It kind of represented a compromise.”

That’s good. It’s also a first step that could, in time, result in more fouls being included within the replay system. Which would be even better.

The goal should be to get everything right, and to ensure that all clear errors made in real time by game officials can be fixed. As teams, media, and fans realize that expanding replay for pass interference won’t lead to four-hour games and other supposed “unintended consequences,” maybe more types of fouls will be added to the list of obvious mistakes that can be fixed — because they should be fixed.

Comment

• Lol
                                Bill Belichick says next to nothing in 43 minutes

Posted by Charean Williams on March 26, 2019, 7:24 PM EDT
                                Getty Images

Bill Belichick showed up at the coaches’ breakfast fashionably late Tuesday morning. (He was not the last coach to arrive.)

Belichick stood while the other coaches sat, and he said nothing.

Well, the Patriots coach said something, but it really amounted to nothing.

According to Jeff Howe of TheAthletic.com, Belichick fielded 116 questions in 43 minutes. He answered with 1,790 words, an average of 15.4 per question. He used “we’ll see” 21 times and “I don’t know” 13 times.

Reporters tried hard to get Belichick talking. He was most forthcoming when asked about his summer reading list, though perhaps with a bit of trolling.

“There’s plenty of them,” Belichick said. “I’d have to take my personal favorite as Football Scouting Methods, though I think I’m a little partial on that. There’s a lot of great books out there. Some authored by people at this table, as well. There’s some authors in our presence.”

Belichick did not show up just to avoid a fine: He skipped the event in 2011 and 2017, per Howe.

Comment

Working...
                                X