X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Davis: Not the right time for us to do Hard Knocks

Posted by Josh Alper on March 26, 2019, 7:19 PM EDT
    AP

With head coach Jon Gruden roaming the practice field ahead of the Raiders’ final season before moving to Las Vegas, there were plenty of people pointing to Oakland as a possible choice for Hard Knocks well before the start of the new league year.

The additions of wide receiver Antonio Brown, linebacker Vontaze Burfict, left tackle Trent Brown and others over the last couple of weeks has only led to more suggestions that they’ll be on HBO this summer. Raiders owner Mark Davis isn’t among those hoping that viewers get an inside look at the team’s training camp.

“Not this year,” Davis said, via Scott Bair of NBC Sports Bay Area. “It’s not the right time.”

The Raiders can be compelled to do the show because they don’t have a new coach, haven’t been to the playoffs in the last two years and have not done the show in the last 10 years. Davis said he told Gruden that he’d fire him and then hire him right back if the Raiders were forced into doing the show, which may not be clever enough to avoid cameras in every corner this summer.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Mark Davis: Not the right time for us to do Hard Knocks

Posted by Josh Alper on March 26, 2019, 7:19 PM EDT
      AP

With head coach Jon Gruden roaming the practice field ahead of the Raiders’ final season before moving to Las Vegas, there were plenty of people pointing to Oakland as a possible choice for Hard Knocks well before the start of the new league year.

The additions of wide receiver Antonio Brown, linebacker Vontaze Burfict, left tackle Trent Brown and others over the last couple of weeks has only led to more suggestions that they’ll be on HBO this summer. Raiders owner Mark Davis isn’t among those hoping that viewers get an inside look at the team’s training camp.

“Not this year,” Davis said, via Scott Bair of NBC Sports Bay Area. “It’s not the right time.”

The Raiders can be compelled to do the show because they don’t have a new coach, haven’t been to the playoffs in the last two years and have not done the show in the last 10 years. Davis said he told Gruden that he’d fire him and then hire him right back if the Raiders were forced into doing the show, which may not be clever enough to avoid cameras in every corner this summer.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Andy Reid on Tyreek Hill: We’re trying to figure out what happened

Posted by Charean Williams on March 26, 2019, 3:16 PM EDT
        Getty Images

Andy Reid talked for the first time since reports surfaced 11 days ago that authorities were investigating receiver Tyreek Hill for two instances of child abuse. The Chiefs coach said he has not talked to Hill since on the advice of the Chiefs’ counsel.

The Chiefs moved quickly in November to cut Kareem Huntafter a video discredited the running back’s claim to the team that he had no involvement in an altercation with a woman at a Cleveland hotel earlier in the year. The team is patiently waiting for more information on Hill’s situation.

“If we’re going to make a move like [cutting Hunt], it’s pretty well thought out, and so we try to gather the information and then go from there,” Reid said.

More than once, Reid said he knew nothing new on Hill’s situation and that the team was “just letting it take its course.”

“Did I expect it to happen? I don’t know what happened exactly,” Reid said. “I mean, I don’t know. That’s what we’re trying to figure out.”

The Chiefs have had internal discussions about various courses of action they will take based on the outcome of the investigation.

“You always want to make sure everybody’s OK, and then let it run its course and make sure you let that part happen,” Reid said. “. . .As a coach, or a human, you’re going to have things that happen. You deal with it.”

Comment

• Owners vote down Broncos’ fourth-and-15 proposal

Posted by Charean Williams on March 26, 2019, 3:14 PM EDT
          Getty Images

Owners rejected an alternative to the onside kick, voting down the Broncos’ fourth-and-15 proposal that was endorsed by the Competition Committee, Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports.

Denver’s playing proposal would have allowed a team trailing in the fourth quarter an opportunity to maintain possession of the ball after scoring. The trailing team could have opted for one chance per game to convert a fourth-and-15 play from its own 35-yard line.

It would have given teams a better chance at keeping the ball than with an onside kick.

Owners, though, said no despite the Competition Committee voting 7-1 in favor of the rule change.

The Alliance of American Football has a version of the rule that allows a team trailing by 17 or more points at any point in the game or a team trailing by any amount with fewer than five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter the option to try to convert a fourth-and-12 play from its own 28. If the team gains 12 or more yards on that one play, it keeps possession. If it doesn’t, the other team takes possession.

Comment

• Bills releasing running back Chris Ivory

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 26, 2019, 2:32 PM EDT
            Getty Images

Apparently, the Bills have found the number of veteran running backs which is too many.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Bills are releasingChris Ivory.

He was surplus to requirements once they signed Frank Gore to go with LeSean McCoy.

The 31-year-old Ivory had just 385 yards and one touchdown last year for the Bills, averaging just 3.3 yards per carry.

And with Gore around, there weren’t going to be enough carries to justify his salary anyway.

Comment

• I'm getting the feeling that the Raiders are going to get out of Hard Knocks by agreeing to do it next year......if they sell it to the NFL as a promotion of the Vegas effort, they might just get the league office to bite.

We just might get to see the Lions this year after all

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                Foolishness...
                Kliff Kingsbury will give players “cellphone breaks” during meetings

Posted by Josh Alper on March 27, 2019, 7:27 AM EDT

Getty Images

Coaches around the NFL said they’ll be scratching their heads about how to prepare for the Cardinals offense early in head coach Kliff Kingsbury’s tenure because he’ll be doing things differently than most coaches.

Doing things differently will extend to Kingsbury’s own team as well. The former Texas Tech coach said on Tuesday that he will draw on his experience at the collegiate level by building “cellphone breaks” into his team meetings.

Kingsbury said that he saw how short the attention spans of young players are during his time in Lubbock and that he began breaking up the meetings into 20 or 30 minute chunks in order to be sure that coaches are “maximizing their time” with the players.

“You start to see kind of hands twitching and legs shaking, and you know they need to get that social media fix, so we’ll let them hop over there and then get back in the meeting and refocus,” Kingsbury said, via ESPN.com.

Like everything else about Kingsbury’s way of coaching a team, the results on the field will determine the ultimate reaction to an unusual way of doing things. If the Cardinals win, he’ll likely be praised for finding a way to engage his players effectively. If they lose, he’ll be criticized for failing to have the team properly focused on the job at hand.
                Cell phones are an amazing tool, but damn. I know my son (10) can't handle it, so he won't be getting a cell phone until he's a teenager. Sounds like Kingsbury thinks he's going to be dealing with a lot of 10 year olds as coach of the Cardinals.

Forever One!

Comment

• Ivory used to be a guy I'd really like to see backing up KJ ... not sure he's that guy anymore
                  WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

Rooney: Expansion of replay for pass interference only was “a compromise”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2019, 8:15 PM EDT
                    Getty Images

The expansion of replay review to include pass interference (offensive and defensive) means that replay review won’t expand to include roughing the passer and illegal contact with a defenseless receiver, at least for now.

As explained by Steelers owner Art Rooney II, the decision to limit the growth of replay to one foul and one foul only was aimed at getting any expansion through.

“It was pretty narrow and from our perspective,” Rooney said after the session culminating in the new rule, via Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com. “We weren’t that interested in having a lot of expansion of replay. It kind of represented a compromise.”

That’s good. It’s also a first step that could, in time, result in more fouls being included within the replay system. Which would be even better.

The goal should be to get everything right, and to ensure that all clear errors made in real time by game officials can be fixed. As teams, media, and fans realize that expanding replay for pass interference won’t lead to four-hour games and other supposed “unintended consequences,” maybe more types of fouls will be added to the list of obvious mistakes that can be fixed — because they should be fixed.
                    The goal should be in getting things fixed ... however, even after multiple views and lengthy stoppages in play they STILL get them wrong. The CJ TD, the Tate TD ... I simply don't understand what is so hard about dealing with replay with the language that was originally put in. You need CLEAR and INCONTROVERTIBLE proof to overturn a call that was made on the field.

Replays should be looked and a decision should be made with seconds of seeing the footage ... nothing should have to be looked at in freeze frame or 100X slow motion, because 2D images will not provide the context needed to make a decision that is CLEAR and INCONTROVERTIBLE. Are you going to get some calls wrong that way. Absolutely. Guess what, you still get some calls wrong with the current method, so why not go with the method that makes sense. You can either tell that a call needs to be overturned immediately or you can't. If you can't then just say the call on the field stands and move along.

I've no problem with instant replay if it's used properly.

Forever One!

Comment

• 30 minute meetings should be the norm, regardless of cell phones.

I think Bill Belichick has read Football Scouting Methods enough.

Comment

Lol
                        Bill Belichick says next to nothing in 43 minutes

Posted by Charean Williams on March 26, 2019, 7:24 PM EDT
                        Getty Images

Bill Belichick showed up at the coaches’ breakfast fashionably late Tuesday morning. (He was not the last coach to arrive.)

Belichick stood while the other coaches sat, and he said nothing.

Well, the Patriots coach said something, but it really amounted to nothing.

According to Jeff Howe of TheAthletic.com, Belichick fielded 116 questions in 43 minutes. He answered with 1,790 words, an average of 15.4 per question. He used “we’ll see” 21 times and “I don’t know” 13 times.

Reporters tried hard to get Belichick talking. He was most forthcoming when asked about his summer reading list, though perhaps with a bit of trolling.

“There’s plenty of them,” Belichick said. “I’d have to take my personal favorite as Football Scouting Methods, though I think I’m a little partial on that. There’s a lot of great books out there. Some authored by people at this table, as well. There’s some authors in our presence.”

Belichick did not show up just to avoid a fine: He skipped the event in 2011 and 2017, per Howe.
                        Who wants to bet the last coach to arrive was Patricia?
                        The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.

Comment

• SHOW me, don't TELL me. Still waiting....

Comment

• Originally posted by Masspartan View Post

Cell phones are an amazing tool, but damn. I know my son (10) can't handle it, so he won't be getting a cell phone until he's a teenager. Sounds like Kingsbury thinks he's going to be dealing with a lot of 10 year olds as coach of the Cardinals.
                            IKR. The thing Kliff isn't looking at is his players' worrying about who they're gonna call/what they're gonna do on their "cell" break while they should be concentrating on their job. It's foolishness and he's showing his lack of maturity.

When I am at work, or when I played, I am thinking of that only. When I'm at home I leave all that aside. You need those mental fences to stay focused. Because truth be told, your most important job is to your family.

Comment

• Originally posted by FVD View Post

Oh boy. I'm not taking that bet. Anyone know id Cinnabons were running a special that day?

Comment

• Originally posted by FVD View Post

Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

Oh boy. I'm not taking that bet. Anyone know id Cinnabons were running a special that day?
                                How dare either of you question the special and unquestionable discipline of the Lions infallible HC.

How

Dare

Yo......................looook, donuts
                                SHOW me, don't TELL me. Still waiting....

Comment

Working...
                                X