X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell Wilson pushes new-money bar to $35 million per year

Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2019, 6:00 AM EDT
    Getty Images

NFL contract extensions can be viewed in two ways. Some look at the value of the new dollars attributed to the new years, ignoring whatever the player was due to make over the remainder of his prior commitment. Others look at the new contract for what it is — a brand new contract that replaces the old one. Some look at both.

For Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, the contract has a value from signing (per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media) of five years and $157 million. That’s an average at signing of $31.4 million per year.

Setting aside the $17 million that Wilson would have made in 2019, the last year of his prior contract, the new money consists of $140 million over four years, which equates to a new-money average of $35 million per year.

The deal also reportedly includes a $65 million signing bonus and $107 million in total guarantees. As often is the case, the full guarantee at signing hasn’t leaked yet, since it will be lower than $107 million — and since many will in the interim see the report of $107 million in guarantees and erroneously conclude that this means the $107 million is fully guaranteed.

This conventional sleight of hand regarding the reporting of the deal meshes with the conventional structure of the deal. For all the huffing and puffing about a contract tied to inevitable increases in the salary cap, Wilson eventually accepted a very large bird in the hand, choosing the certainty of $31.4 million over the next five years.

Last last night, we heard that the deal, if it were done, would entail huge numbers but no funky structures, and that’s exactly what happened. It will now be left for another player on another team to take the Kirk Cousins franchise-tag dance to the next level; for Wilson, it was enough to convince the Seahawks that he was serious about doing that, if he didn’t become the highest-paid player in NFL history.

And now he is. At least for a year or two.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Wilson will average $2 million a year more than Rodgers

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2019, 5:10 AM EDT
      Getty Images

Russell Wilson‘s new contract puts him comfortably ahead of Aaron Rodgers as the NFL’s new highest-paid player.

With the new money in the contract Wilson announced early this morning and the money that was left on the final year of his old deal, Wilson is reportedly set to total $157 million over the next five years. That’s an average of $31.4 million a year.

When Rodgers signed a new contract in August, it added four more years to the two he still had on his old deal, bringing his take to a total of $174.8 million over six years. That’s an average of $29.1 million a year.

Wilson’s deal runs through the 2023 season, during which he will turn 35 years old. So, if he were to play out this contract, he’d hit free agency again at age 35. Wilson has said he wants to play until he’s 45, so he’s likely satisfied with this contract not only because of what it pays him now, but because he can still hit free agency again when he still expects to be in his prime.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Why did they do this?

ROGER GOODELLC, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
        NFL will announce the 2019 schedule on Wednesday night at 8 ET.

Teams already know who they will play this season, but when and where will be announced on Wednesday night. The Kickoff Game has already been announced and will feature the Packers traveling to Chicago to honor both the Bears' and NFL's centennial season.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
        Apr 16, 2019, 8:27 AM

Comment

• Stafford is now the 6th highest paid QB.
          Wonder if that Russell Wilson contract increases the odds of Frank Clark being traded...
          Also, what contract will Dak receive... he is next.

Schedule release? Awesome.
          O/U Detroit Lions national TV games in 2019: 2.5
          Thanksgiving. Bet they’ll give the Lions at least one MNF or SNF game. Question is if they give the Lions another.
          AAL 2018 - Teez Tabor

Comment

• Wow! That’s a helluva contract for Wilson. These guys are getting massively paid. I sure as shit hope the
            Lions start mining QBs in the draft.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• The 2020 draft has the pundits drooling. Forget this draft, its entirely forgettable (early on).
              SHOW me, don't TELL me. Still waiting....

Comment

• It may be weak on star power near the top.........but this draft has some definite depth to it though

The type of draft that separates GMs from good GMs

Comment

• That contract for Wilson just illustrates how fortunate the Patriots have been regarding their QB contract. Brady is at a cool 14M base on this, his final year of his contract. He's been willing to take team friendly deals forever.

Forever One!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
                    The type of draft that separates GMs from good GMs
                    Uh oh.

Comment

• Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Demaryius Thomas signs with Patriots

Posted by Josh Alper on April 16, 2019, 4:57 PM EDT
                        Getty Images

Veteran wide receiver Demaryius Thomas paid a visit to the Patriots recently and he’ll be spending more time in New England in the future.

According to multiple reports, Thomas has agreed to a deal with the former Broncos and Texans wideout. No terms have been reported. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports it is a one-year deal worth up to $6 million.

The move will reunite Thomas with his first NFL head coach as Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was in Denver when the Broncos selected Thomas in the first round of the 2010 draft. He’d go on to make five Pro Bowls and win a Super Bowl with Denver before being traded to Houston in the middle of last season.

Thomas tore his Achilles on Christmas Eve, which ended his season and led to his release earlier this year. He’ll have to get back to health before we’ll get much of an idea about his chances of making an impact on offense for the Patriots, but there will be opportunities in a receiver group that’s unsettled beyond Julian Edelman and Phillip Dorsett.

Comment

• ZACH MILLERTE, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
                          Zach Miller has retired after 10 years in the NFL.

Miller's horrific 2017 leg injury — which required nine surgeries — proved to be too much to overcome. 33 then, Miller is now going on 35. A 2009 sixth-round pick of the Jaguars, Miller had major issues with injury even before the big one. He hangs up his cleats with 146 career grabs for 1,631 yards and 15 scores. Miller always offered play-making upside, but his injury issues prevented him from fully tapping into it.

SOURCE: Zach Miller on Twitter
                          Apr 16, 2019, 4:06 PM

Comment

• WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?
                            Jaguars may use drones to hold shade over stands on sunny days

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 19, 2019, 5:07 AM EDT
                            Getty Images

The Jaguars are talking about getting creative to make fans more comfortable during hot and sunny home games.

Jaguars owner Shad Khan said he’s seen proposals to use drone-powered “artificial clouds” that may be used over stadiums in Qatar during the 2022 World Cup, carrying shades over stadiums and casting large shadows onto the fans to make the seating areas cooler. Khan would like to see if he can do it in Jacksonville as well.

It’s very futuristic but it could be very cost-effective only on the days you need it,” Khan said, via First Coast News. “I don’t know how feasible it is, but as an engineer when I saw it I thought boy that would work very well for us.”

It is unclear whether the technology has ever actually been deployed anywhere, or whether it is just an idea. There are obvious questions about noise and safety that would have to be answered. But Khan is open to trying something new.

Comment

• Report: Tyreek Hill’s son was recently removed from the home

Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2019, 9:56 PM EDT
                              Getty Images

With an investigation regarding potential child abuse allegations still open, the Kansas City Star reports that the three-year-old son of Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill recently was removedfrom the custody of Hill and the child’s mother, Crystal Espinal.

Per the report, the date of removal isn’t known. The child’s current living arrangements also were not specified.

According to the Star, Hill and Espinal reportedly have been engaged in a legal proceeding in family court known as a “child in need of care” case. The Star reports that Hill and Espinal were at the county courthouse on Wednesday.

No arrests have been made or charges filed in connection with a pair of police reports generated in March, with one focused on battery and the other on abuse and neglect. The Star reported on March 15 that Hill’s son had suffered a broken arm at some point.

Comment

• Kalen Ballage plans to compete with Kenyan Drake for starting job

Posted by Charean Williams on April 18, 2019, 5:40 PM EDT
                                Getty Images

Kenyan Drake is the favorite to win the Dolphins’ starting running back job with the departure of Frank Gore, who started 14 games and led the team in rushing last season.

But Kalen Ballage isn’t conceding the job.

“I’m a competitor. That’s what I do; that’s who I am,” Ballage said, via quotes distributed by the team. “It doesn’t really matter who has the most playing time in the past or anything like that. I’m going forward and ready to do my thing.”

The departures of Gore to Buffalo and Brandon Bolden to New England have left a devoid of experience at the position.

Drake, a third-round pick in 2016, is the veteran of the group now. The Dolphins made Ballage a fourth-round choice last year.

In 12 games, Ballage had 36 rushes for 191 yards and a touchdown, while catching nine passes for 56 yards. That includes a 75-yard run against the Vikings in Week 15.

He expects more chances this season.

“Obviously I’m not a guy that’s ever satisfied, really,” Ballage said. “I always want more out of everything, so there were some things that I could have done better. I’ll have a chance to make it right this season.”

Comment

Working...
                                X