Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    There was something posted on ESPN a few weeks back regarding who would have the best all time team. The Lakers or Bulls.

While Jordan was the best player IMO, I think the Bulls would be hard pressed to beat a team with Magic, Kareem, Kobe, Shaq etc. The Pistons would have a pretty damned good team too.

Isiah
    Joe D
    Grant Hill
    Rodman
    Sheed or Big Ben?

Its tough even coming up with our starting lineup.
    Probably Bob Lanier over anyone else at the 5 spot.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Agree on Bob Lanier

Bing over Dumars
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• with all the playoff success Lanier and Bing had during the weakest era in NBA history, why not?

The Pistons had what, two winning seasons during Bing's 9 years in Detroit? And he's an easy pick over a guy with two rings and a finals MVP? Please.

Wonderful human being, but his value as a basketball player is a bit clouded by nostlagia. He was the first ever Detroit Piston that was better than average.
        Last edited by Kstat; August 3, 2015, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Bing was a better ballplayer. Dumars would be afterthought if he had played on the teams that Bing played on. He be as memorable as Curtis Rowe

Trade Dumars for Bing and Dumars never sniffs a ring.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Uh huh. How many all defensive teams did dave bing make, again?

Oh, right. 0. Which is 5 less than Joe dumars.

And don't give me the bad team bullshit excuse. The NBA during the 70's was shit because 1/3 of the top talent was playing in another league. If Bing was really that good, his team wouldn't have failed to break .500 7 times in 9 seasons, 5 of those coming with Bob Lanier on his team.

A hall of fame scoring guard and center on the same team? Today that's a 50 win team, and the NBA is deeper now than it ever was. Kareem was dragging teams deep into the postseason ever year and he was playing with has-beens and rejects from the local Y. Rick Barry won a championship practically playing by himself. All you needed to win in the NBA back then was 1 really good player. Yet these two as a tandem couldn't go anywhere in 5 years. The facts don't add up to them being better than guys that were actually winners.

I have an appreciation for Dave Bing, but Dumars had as great an effect on the same without dominating the ball, which makes him more valuable. He could fit on any team because he wouldn't disrupt anyone else. Bing was a dynamic offensive player but he wasn't good enough to win games playing that way. Dumars also had two functional eyeballs, which is a bit of an advantage.
            Last edited by Kstat; August 3, 2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• What facts? The world according to Ktwat?

Dumars rode Isaiah's jock and played with Vinnie Johnson.

Bing had John fucking Mengelt and Chris Ford.

Bing: 7 All Star teams
              Dumars: 6

Facts.

Comment

• Wow, one extra all star appearance? That's totally like being one of the best defensive guards ever vs. a guy that was average at best defensively in his own decade.

Dumars was the 2nd best player on back to back title teams. Bing was the best (and eventually 2nd best) player on a perennial doormat.

The Pistons traded Bing to Washington and the very next season they won their first playoff series in 19 years. Yeah, they really missed him...

Washington went nowhere with bing then they traded him to Boston and the next season they won the NBA championship.

Hmm...anyone ever wonder if dave Bing was a Ewing theory guy?
                Last edited by Kstat; August 3, 2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                  Bing was a better ballplayer. Dumars would be afterthought if he had played on the teams that Bing played on. He be as memorable as Curtis Rowe

Trade Dumars for Bing and Dumars never sniffs a ring.
                  How were those Piston teams after 1990? Those teams were better then what Bing had to play with.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                    How were those Piston teams after 1990? Those teams were better then what Bing had to play with.
                    Bob Lanier? Dave Debusschere?

Bing played exactly 1 1/2 of his 12 NBA seasons without at least one future hall of fame teammate.

He was traded twice and both times his old team did better without him.....

Comment

• Guess you just had to watch him play to appreciate his talent.
                      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Agreed. It's hard to play well with one good eye.

Comment

• Current Ewing theory guys:

Dwight Howard
                          Carmelo Anthony
                          Josh Smith
                          Kobe Bryant (post 2012)
                          Zach Randolph
                          1. Todd Gurley RB 2. Eddie Goldman DT 3. Tre McBride WR 5-7 OL Depth

Comment

• Former Ewing theory guys?

Elgin Baylor
                            Dave Bing
                            Bob McAdoo
                            Adrian Dantley
                            Patrick Ewing
                            Stephon Marbury
                            Vince Carter
                            Every Ohio State QB during 2014.

Comment

• What's the Ewing theory? Does it have to do with sweat? Reggie might be able to give P-Ew a run for his money.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                                What's the Ewing theory? Does it have to do with sweat? Reggie might be able to give P-Ew a run for his money.
                                Bill Simmons coined the Ewing Theory in 1999. It's a theory that If you take a specific star player off his team and replace him with nothing (or a significantly less talented player), they will actually play better as a result.

Josh smith last season became a modern example of a Ewing theory guy.
                                Last edited by Kstat; August 8, 2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X