Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The way I see it is like this:

Drummond isn't exactly a lights out shooter from 15' feet ANYWHERE on the court, whether its on the baseline, just off the paint, or at the foul line. I really don't think it's a lack of practice as much as it is a lack of shooting ability period.

Comment

• I think that was probably the worst half of basketball that the Pistons have played all year, at least defensively.

My one positive is that Andre is bending his knees at the FT-line. He's 3 for 5 and hasn't had any wide-rights/lefts or airballs.

Comment

• It is odd how so many great bigs just can't hit their FT. It's like having the yips in baseball. Must be totally mental, is my opinion. I still wonder why these guys just don't shoot it underhanded. Drummond has a better chance of making a granny shot than he does throwing up the fucking bricks he does now.

Comment

• I've become of the opinion he should just rifle it off the rim on the 2nd attempt and go for the offensive rebound instead of bothering trying to shoot it, probably a better chance at getting possession than actually making it.
          AXE 'EM!

Comment

• I think he should just aim for the square and bank it in.

Comment

• People always talk about that granny shot but I doubt their form would be any better. A lot of times it is just bad form. I think it is different than the the yips, it's more like a weak grip in golf. It suffices in a practice round or on the range but is susceptible to pressure.

JD had the most pertinent observation in saying that his offseason practice showed dividends for the first three games. Changing your form is hard and it won't happen during the season. It may happen in the offseason but it takes hours and hours of work.

Comment

• The underhand form is a higher percentage shot for big men because of the lower release point. However that does not mean it'll work for everyone. Wilt tried it and still sucked. You either have good hand dexterity or you don't.

Comment

• Yep it always cracked me up when they paraded Rick Barry out there talking about the granny shot. That dude could shoot any way. He wouldn't have been a 50 percent free throw shooter if he did it overhand.

Comment

• Put that lower release point shit to bed

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                      Put that lower release point shit to bed

http://www.csuchico.edu/~jhudson/pdf/isbs82.pdf
                      LOL @ this study.

They tested just 5 women? They didn't take height into account? How is this not a laughable study?

Release point isn't a huge factor if you're still shooting up at the rim. If you're 7 feet tall and you're releasing the ball nearly parallel to the rim, it's a completely different story.
                      Last edited by Kstat; January 22, 2016, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Didn't read the whole thing, did you? Based on other articles and studies that I have read, height is not much of a factor and release point is never mentioned. The most important factors are balance, center of gravity ratio, and arc of the shot. You can have the optimum arc (around 45 degrees) regardless of how tall you are. Of those, consistent optimum arc is the most important.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Didn't read the whole thing, did you? Based on other articles and studies that I have read, height is not much of a factor and release point is never mentioned. The most important factors are balance, center of gravity ratio, and arc of the shot. You can have the optimum arc (around 45 degrees) regardless of how tall you are. Of those, consistent optimum arc is the most important.
                          Given that the release point of the ball varies drastically, but the hoop is always 10 feet in the air, the release point of the ball is a scientific variable. A ball that arcs right in front of the rim and dies there lands softly. A ball released half a foot below the rim from 15 feet away does not have that luxury.

I never said release point was all that mattered.
                          Last edited by Kstat; January 22, 2016, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Edit: Release point is a consideration only to the individual player, as in changing the release point changes the shot and form of each individual shooter. Being closer to the height of the rim has little to no effect on the shot.

Comment

Edit: Release point is a consideration only to the individual player, as in changing the release point changes the shot and form of each individual shooter. Being closer to the height of the rim has little to no effect on the shot.
                              Gravity would disagree with you.

Comment

• Scientific study and analysis see it the same as I do

But don't let the facts stop you...

Comment

Working...
                                X