Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fontes91 View Post
    2013 will go down as one of the weakest drafts ever. I actually think Joe did fairly well snatching up KCP at 8.
    I agree. In hindsight, you take Giannis , Schroeder or CJ McCollum but KCP is looking like a top-8 player. At least Anthony Bennett didn't slide to that position.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
      I agree. In hindsight, you take Giannis , Schroeder or CJ McCollum but KCP is looking like a top-8 player. At least Anthony Bennett didn't slide to that position.
      No, in hindsight you only take Giannis.
      WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

3-16 for KCP tonight. He did play pretty good D on Westbrook and definitely hustled. If he ever learns how to shoot....
        I'll take that trade. Westbrook was chucking clunkers all night.
        Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

Schroeder over KCP? No way.
          Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
            No, in hindsight you only take Giannis.
            I'd take a 2-way PG in Schroeder or a shooting guard that can shoot (and pass) over KCP.

Keep in mind if they took Schroeder, they may not trade Knight and (more likely) Middleton away. Maybe they move Knight to SG, where you then have two perimeter defenders (though Knight is undersized) that both shoot the 3 better than KCP (although Schroeder isn't any great shakes from deep) and you have a SF/SG in Middleton that shoots a lot better than KCP from 3.

Take McCollum and maybe Knight still gets traded. Maybe. Perhaps they think two combo-guards works well enough to not have a true PG.

So, not only are these guys currently better players, they might have been better fits.

I still think that it's fair to say KCP is a top-8 player from that draft. Giannis is the only major gaffe (the other's are just a little better) but a lot of teams blew it on passing him up.

Comment

• Middleton is better than KCP for sure, but those what if's are not fair to this point.

I'd take KCP over Schroeder any day. Schroeder is OK and might be ready to be a starter someday.

Missing on an eventual star player that is taken later in the draft isn't really a gaffe unless that player was an obvious pick they missed. Otherwise every draft would basically be a gaffe for most teams.

Comment

• No, take one look at Schroeder and his hair and the only answer is pass.

Comment

I'd take a 2-way PG in Schroeder or a shooting guard that can shoot (and pass) over KCP.

Keep in mind if they took Schroeder, they may not trade Knight and (more likely) Middleton away. Maybe they move Knight to SG, where you then have two perimeter defenders (though Knight is undersized) that both shoot the 3 better than KCP (although Schroeder isn't any great shakes from deep) and you have a SF/SG in Middleton that shoots a lot better than KCP from 3.

Take McCollum and maybe Knight still gets traded. Maybe. Perhaps they think two combo-guards works well enough to not have a true PG.

So, not only are these guys currently better players, they might have been better fits.

I still think that it's fair to say KCP is a top-8 player from that draft. Giannis is the only major gaffe (the other's are just a little better) but a lot of teams blew it on passing him up.
                  What I meant is you take Giannis over all those guys.
                  WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• if that draft takes place today Giannis is long gone by 8. For that matter KCP is likely gone too.

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                      Middleton is better than KCP for sure, but those what if's are not fair to this point.

I'd take KCP over Schroeder any day. Schroeder is OK and might be ready to be a starter someday.
                      Schroeder has an all-star playing in front of him. One that Atlanta was still considering moving at the trade deadline because of Schroeder's strong play. KCP is pretty much a starter by default. If Meeks hadn't been injured to start the season last year, he would've been the starter. The same thing might've happened this year after KCP's bad November.

I like KCP's hustle and his improving mid-range game. He's also the best finisher on the break when he's not the one handling the ball. He's an above-average defender, although not that great covering PG's. He's just better than Reggie.

That said, let's not pretend he's a guy you can put in your starting line-up and not have a worry, if being a contending team is what you're hoping to be. Will he eventually get there? I'm not sure. He's got to learn how to shoot better, improve his dribble even more than he's done this year and play smarter. Ideally, his best role might be as a 6th man, where he can go full-bore on D for 20-25 minutes a game.

This year has been somewhat encouraging, save the 30% 3-point shooting at a greater volume. I'm rooting for him to keep growing, as I think he plays with a lot of heart, but I'm also not against trying to improve the position.

I too hoped he might turn out to be an Eddie Jones (might've been the first one to post the comparison) in his career but Bruce Bowen/Tony Allen/James Posey might be more his level.

A winning team can use any of those types. However, if that's his ceiling, they need to upgrade in other positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                        What I meant is you take Giannis over all those guys.
                        For sure. He's the best player/prospect from that draft.

Comment

• Do you really honestly think KCP's defense is best described as 'above average'?

In this small ball, no hand checking NBA.. the Stephen Curry era, KCPs brand of defense is really really valuable. Contrary to your take, he's great at guarding PGs. The guys he's not as effective with are the stronger bigger guys that can go power on him.
                          Last edited by nhwbrooklyn; April 1, 2016, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• he could possibly be an All NBA defense team member. He can def play D and he was a good pick in a shitty draft. Stop getting trolled Brook

Get to the playoffs
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
                              Do you really honestly think KCP's defense is best described as 'above average'?
                              If he brings more consistency on that end, I'd put him at very good. He occasionally gets torched by so-so players.

Comment

• Man Jackson and Blake are making Barea look like a young Tony Parker. Their defense sucks so bad. The next backup PG needs to play defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X