Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fontes91 View Post
    Me too. I wasn't wild about the Jennings trade, but I thought JS would help the Pistons into the 8th seed. Boy was I wrong.
    They have basically the same team as last year, but with a better head coach.
    The players in place are obviously not a fit for SVG.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Smith may be better in Houston or Miami but their styles will accentuate his negatives. Houston focuses on layups, threes and free throws. He's a terrible free throw shooter and an awful 3 point shooter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
        They have basically the same team as last year, but with a better head coach.
        The players in place are obviously not a fit for SVG.
        I was foolish enough to think that following the Smith signing, the Pistons would get into the playoffs last season. Major disappointment. Then I was fooled again when SVG decided to take on this mess, actually thinking they might win half their games and get a 7 or 8 seed. Wrong again. Obviously the team just would not work as comprised. I'm glad Smith was released. One thing that confuses me though, sometimes guys have their contracts bought out. Was that not an option?

Comment

• I think (and I may be just talking out my ass but follow me anyways) that if they would have bought him out, his salary of 14M would still count as a cap hit at the end of the season, perhaps even until the end of his contract, I'm not sure.

This way, the Pistons free up an extra 9M for the upcoming off-season
          "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• Generally when they say a contract being bought out the team is really just paying the guy the remainder of the contract. That is unless there is a specific buyout clause where it is cheaper than the remainder of the contract but that is kind of rare.

In this case they are stretching out the remainder of the contract over 5 years. So it is something like a 5 million dollar hit for each year for the next 5 years.

Comment

• The Rockets have a bi-annual exception worth 2.09M --if they use it on Smiff it will reduce that 5 year number, along with the cap going up about 3M (66M) this offseason and exploding to possibly 90M in 2 seasons when the tv deal goes into effect.

Detroit is set up to have the 2nd highest cap space this off-season (76ers have the most)

Great move by SVG & the Pistons
              Last edited by Dr. Emmett.L.Brown; December 23, 2014, 11:32 AM.
              "I eat a lot of corn, so it's actually fairly easy for me to find kernels in my shits."-fontes91

Comment

• Bascially this what what the following 5 years break down to with the Smith stretch provision in terms of cap space....

+$8
                +$8
                -$5.4
                -$5.4
                -$5.4

Comment

• Lets hope they spend it wisely, the last two times they had a lot of space, they ended up with Charlie V/Gordon and then Jennings/Smith. Going way back they shot for Mutombo/Howard and they got Augmon/Grant Long. In between they did get Ben Wallace when they had space, so lets hope there is a signing like that.

As every year passes by it has come into full focus that Joe D lucked into those moves early on, he applied the same reasoning to all subsquent moves and they were pretty much all disasters after the McDyess signing.

Comment

• I'm never a fan of kicking the can down the road financially, so not really happy about this move. This was a total NFL style cut, which just doesn't seem to ever happen in the NBA. Basically Smith counts for $5.4 million of dead money against the cap the next FIVE years!
                    Last edited by The King; December 23, 2014, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Those in support say getting rid of Smith was worth it and with the NBA coming up on a new TV deal and CBA, the cap should skyrocket, so that $5.4 million 3, 4, 5 years from now won't hurt us so bad.

I disagree though, that's still $5.4 million you don't have. That's a lost asset and sunk cost no matter how you look at it. Basically that's a Jodie Meeks level player in years 3, 4, 5 you can't go out and sign or use that cap room to take back more salary via trade.

5 years in sports is a LONG fucking time, so we will be paying the piper until 2020 with this move.

Comment

• The cap is going to explode shortly. This is kind of a unique time where a 5 million dollar hit for 5 years won't be that bad. It doesn't happen in the NBA because the stretch provision is new and the cap has traditionally gone up incrementally. There will be nothing incremental about it. Cap space isn't what it used to be, for awhile teams will run into the situation MLB is in. Revenue increases are outpacing salary increases.

On the con side, if you are into tanking for more ping pong balls. The best bet would have been to keep on playing Josh Smith. He was a one man tanking machine. Putting a replacement level layer in his spot will improve the Pistons.

Comment

• "On the con side, if you are into tanking for more ping pong balls. The best bet would have been to keep on playing Josh Smith. He was a one man tanking machine. Putting a replacement level layer in his spot will improve the Pistons."

Exactly! I brought this up on the Pistons forum. I call it the "Smith Theory." Getting rid of him actually decreases your odds at tanking. It's like the "Ewing Theory," but in reverse.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                            Those in support say getting rid of Smith was worth it and with the NBA coming up on a new TV deal and CBA, the cap should skyrocket, so that $5.4 million 3, 4, 5 years from now won't hurt us so bad.

I disagree though, that's still $5.4 million you don't have. That's a lost asset and sunk cost no matter how you look at it. Basically that's a Jodie Meeks level player in years 3, 4, 5 you can't go out and sign or use that cap room to take back more salary via trade.

5 years in sports is a LONG fucking time, so we will be paying the piper until 2020 with this move.
                            I agree. They needed to fire Joe four years ago.
                            The only logical explanation is:
                            I'm about to die and this is my Jacob's Ladder

Comment

• The Pistons are in a bad spot. They have some guys that they need to make a decision on on in Drummond and Monroe. Smith was taking their minutes and shot opportunities. Van Gundy wants to see if any of the players were possible building blocks. What a bad situation. I don't recall a situation this bad.

Comment

• The teal era was pretty bad, but at least Grant Hill looked like a superstar.

I wonder what this means for Monroe now. Everyone pretty much assumes he wants out, but maybe this changes things. Who knows?

I just hate to give up on talented young bigs. Monroe has flaws, but he's also pretty fucking good at scoring and rebounding.

Comment

Working...
                                X