No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not heroic loyalty - it's hatred of the enemy. In the ESPN Bad Boys 30 for 30 there is a segment where a Pistons player was going to help an opponent up from the floor and Mahorn or Laimbeer intervened and stopped it. You hated your opponent.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
      That GS team is going to be sick
      Yeah, hard to see how they can lose. They will miss Bogut and to a much lesser extent Ezeli though. They might need to swing a trade for a rim protector / someone to stop guys like Drummond.

Comment

• Originally posted by fontes91 View Post
        It's not heroic loyalty - it's hatred of the enemy. In the ESPN Bad Boys 30 for 30 there is a segment where a Pistons player was going to help an opponent up from the floor and Mahorn or Laimbeer intervened and stopped it. You hated your opponent.
        And if there was player movement back then the hatred wouldn't have been so acute. it makes for good documentaries though.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          And if there was player movement back then the hatred wouldn't have been so acute. it makes for good documentaries though.
          Exactly- Saying none of these greats wouldn't have done is does sound nice and we'd like to think that would be the case but the paradigm they were playing under was completely different. It wasn't an option back then so why would the thought even enter their heads?

Comment

• Originally posted by fontes91 View Post
            I forgot that spelling corrections come in threes here.
            It's just embarrassing getting the name incorrect for best player ever from the franchise you root for. Just showing respeck! to Zeke.:D

Comment

• I was comparing earlier to what's come closest to the Superteam construction in the past.

Really, what KD has done is unique unto himself. I can't think of another top 5 player that left a top 5 team with another superstar on it for a championship team.

Shaq left a top 5 team with another superstar but the Lakers were a notch below being a championship contender when he joined them.

LeBron left a top 5 team that was only a top 5 team because of him. They were the worst team in the league without him.

OKC is still probably a playoff team without KD.

Comment

• OKC wasn't a playoff team without Durant 2 years ago.

Comment

• None of these guys knew each other back in the day. There's the famous story of how Magic and Bird didn't really know anything about each other until they did the Converse commercial together. All these guys today know each other from the AAU circuit, offseason workouts, the Olympics. The element of camaraderie that exists today didn't have the same drivers in place 30 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                    None of these guys knew each other back in the day. There's the famous story of how Magic and Bird didn't really know anything about each other until they did the Converse commercial together. All these guys today know each other from the AAU circuit, offseason workouts, the Olympics. The element of camaraderie that exists today didn't have the same drivers in place 30 years ago.
                    Now that I see as a valid point.

Comment

• I don't doubt that if there were similar CBA rules back in the 70's and 80's that there would have been more jumping around. I'm not disputing that.

I still think most players would not jump to the team that just beat you in the conference finals. Has any other superstar ever done that?

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                        I was comparing earlier to what's come closest to the Superteam construction in the past.

Really, what KD has done is unique unto himself. I can't think of another top 5 player that left a top 5 team with another superstar on it for a championship team.

Shaq left a top 5 team with another superstar but the Lakers were a notch below being a championship contender when he joined them.

LeBron left a top 5 team that was only a top 5 team because of him. They were the worst team in the league without him.

OKC is still probably a playoff team without KD.
                        Kareem leaving the Bucks after 75 was a parallel. He was hurt in 74-75 and they missed the playoffs that year, but in 74 they lost in the Finals.

Comment

• Kareem actually got traded to the team the Bucks defeated in the playoffs. He begged for a trade for a year. I recall that well because Kareem was my favorite player back then. Parallel? Perhaps. But not the same.

Again, IMHO a similar context is the '87 ECF.

I really don't care. I think they'll win a couple rings. I'll be rooting against them. Not necessarily for this, but because the few GS fans that I know are painful to be around when they win. Last year they were calling them the greatest team of all time. The Finals was too sweet.

Comment

• According to the Bad Boys 30 for 30, Isiah did ask to be traded to Chicago early in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom View Post
                              According to the Bad Boys 30 for 30, Isiah did ask to be traded to Chicago early in his career.
                              That was pre draft. He wanted to play in his home town so he screwed up his draft visit with Detroit on purpose. Trader Jack said he didn't care and drafted him anyway.

Comment

• I thought they said a few years into his career he still hoped to be dealt to the Bulls. Maybe I'm just thinking of the pre-draft stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X