Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
    Rumor has it Van Gundy and Pistons have parted ways.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn 6m6 minutes ago

Source: Stan Van Gundy and the Pistons have parted ways.
    Not a rumor.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ndy/518825002/
    "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Good.

Now get someone willing to tank this team. Because you HAVE TO.

Comment

• How long do you give the Blake-Andre-Reggie experiment? 1 year or break it up this offseason?

Comment

• Gores want to "regain the momentum", they at least give it one year. Van Gundy needed to go, the game has passed him by. This is probably the worst time to try and get a good GM and/or tank. They were stuck prior to the Griffin trade, now they are really stuck.

What promising GM would come at this particular point? It's kind of why having Van Gundy for one more year would have been feasible. A new GM has very little to try and improve and I doubt he is able to dump any of those contracts.

Comment

• Mayhew was better with the Lions than SVG was with the Pistons. All this time with SVG... one trip to the playoffs as an 8 seed.
            Yay to the locked big contracts and no 2018 1st Round Pick.

As I said years ago, Hinkie is the genius for tanking.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
              Mayhew was better with the Lions than SVG was with the Pistons. All this time with SVG... one trip to the playoffs as an 8 seed.
              Yay to the locked big contracts and no 2018 1st Round Pick.

As I said years ago, Hinkie is the genius for tanking.
              "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                Gores want to "regain the momentum", they at least give it one year. Van Gundy needed to go, the game has passed him by. This is probably the worst time to try and get a good GM and/or tank. They were stuck prior to the Griffin trade, now they are really stuck.

What promising GM would come at this particular point? It's kind of why having Van Gundy for one more year would have been feasible. A new GM has very little to try and improve and I doubt he is able to dump any of those contracts.
                You know this might be the perfect opportunity for Chauncey Billups. There is not much he can do so he can basically learn the finer points of the job. Take a year to evaluate every one in the organization.

And you give Andre-Blake-Jackson a year to see what you have when everyone is healthy.
                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Chauncey's getting paid to talk. No pressure. Why the hell would he want that gig?
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• There was a rumor he was pretty serious about the job, but that was last summer. I'm not sure any up and comer that can pick and choose what job they can have would take this on. The owner is delusional and the roster is set in cement. The way the league is set up, the Pistons are in worse shape than the Lions were when both Mayhew and Quinn took over.

Really we have no idea what Billups would be like calling the shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      There was a rumor he was pretty serious about the job, but that was last summer. I'm not sure any up and comer that can pick and choose what job they can have would take this on. The owner is delusional and the roster is set in cement. The way the league is set up, the Pistons are in worse shape than the Lions were when both Mayhew and Quinn took over.

Really we have no idea what Billups would be like calling the shots.
                      Yep, no idea. But he gets a year on the job to learn (not unlike Quinn did) which would be invaluable.
                      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Chauncey has been open about his desire to be in a front office position and he is not shy about his love for the Pistons. If he is offered a nice position with Det I think he will take it. Per the freep Det is interested in Brent Barry for such a position. I'd love to see Chauncey back in Motown

Comment

• Mayhew and Van Gundy both barely cleared one of the easiest bars in sports; to take a team from awful to mediocre. While it's true that two trips to the playoffs as the lowest seed is better than one, I think we're getting into a level of granularity that really doesn't mean much.

Comment

• At least when Mayhew was fired, the Lions were in somewhat decent shape. The Pistons are in terrible shape for the next few years. No young players, no draft picks, untradeable contracts and close to the luxury tax threshold. That is the superfecta of shit.

Comment

• With Mayhew, the Lions made the playoffs twice in a league where only 37% of the teams can make postseason.
                              NBA, 53% of the teams make the postseason and the East has always been the lesser conference.

Farting around the 8th seed is basically as bad as it gets because you have no shot at winning a title or getting a top 5-ish draft pick. That’s the Pistons since 2008.
                              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Yep basketball purgatory

Comment

Working...
                                X