No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVG didn’t do himself any favors with his drafting but IMO Gores didn’t give him a choice with win now vice rebuilding from jump streer
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I haven't understood a move the Pistons have made in a long time ... Allen Iverson? Charlie Villanueva?

They've made a couple of good draft picks but moved on from them rather quickly and before they became stars. Kris Middleton? Aaron Affalo? Mehmet Okur (or was that ages and ages ago).

Everytime they do have some resources they blow it all quickly and stupidly. They have been a stupid franchise for 15+ years.
      Forever One!

Comment

• When Mr. Davidson took ill, the Franchise suffered. Dumars was left on an island and took the first boat off, after Mr. Davidson died because the rudder had separated from the ship.
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Masspartan View Post
          I haven't understood a move the Pistons have made in a long time ... Allen Iverson? Charlie Villanueva?

They've made a couple of good draft picks but moved on from them rather quickly and before they became stars. Kris Middleton? Aaron Affalo? Mehmet Okur (or was that ages and ages ago).

Everytime they do have some resources they blow it all quickly and stupidly. They have been a stupid franchise for 15+ years.
          I hope you understood some of DJ Augustin and Kyle Singler for Reggie Jackson ... or the ghost of Caron Butler for Ersan Ilyasova ... or the ghost of Brandon Jennings and Ilyasova for Tobias Harris ... or nothing for Marcus Morris and Reggie Bullock ... or Marcus Morris for Avery Bradley ... or even the Blake Griffin trade depending on your viewpoint

... SVG drafted horribly, had bad injury luck and didn't coach well for the most part ... but most of his trades were quite good
          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• His trades were Ok, but they didn't move the needle much. Instead of wins in the high 20's it went up to the mid 30's. The Jackson trade ceased being good when he signed that extension. Jackson is a Chuck Atkins type transitional player, Ok player to have for a bit but you don't want to get stuck with him long term.

Tanking isn't the only alternative, but you need keep on churning the roster until you get the chance to land a stud player. SVG would have been OK if he could have kept on churning the roster. You need to accumulate draft picks and keep cap flexibility. To do that, you cannot spend freely on stiffs like Leuer and Galloway. Those guys are replacement level players and you have 17 million tied up in them.

Comment

• Forsh is right about SVG not coaching very well. He was a marked improvement over the string of sustitute teachers employed by the Pistons but that's a low bar. Ideally you want a coach who can do more than keep a good lockerroom. If anyone important got hurt, the team turned to immediate crap.

Comment

• When Caldwell, Blashill, Ausmus, and Van Gundy all started, I thought Van Gundy would have the most success. Caldwell probably did a little better than I expected. Ausmus did about what I expected. I expected nothing out of Blashill. Van Gundy was a disaster. I generally liked his frankness early on but it got old as did his refusal to play younger players.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  His trades were Ok, but they didn't move the needle much. Instead of wins in the high 20's it went up to the mid 30's. The Jackson trade ceased being good when he signed that extension. Jackson is a Chuck Atkins type transitional player, Ok player to have for a bit but you don't want to get stuck with him long term.

Tanking isn't the only alternative, but you need keep on churning the roster until you get the chance to land a stud player. SVG would have been OK if he could have kept on churning the roster. You need to accumulate draft picks and keep cap flexibility. To do that, you cannot spend freely on stiffs like Leuer and Galloway. Those guys are replacement level players and you have 17 million tied up in them.
                  The team that you held up as the example of how to build through not tanking (Atlanta) is right back in purgatory while the team you scorned is in the conference semis (Philly) with a lot of promising young players.

Tanking is the ONLY way out... at least, it's the only way out for the Pistons. They don't have the Free Agent appeal or the blind luck to pull what Golden State did.
                  Last edited by chemiclord; May 9, 2018, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• CB will be hired as the GM but I almost wish they wouldn?t. The Pistons are like someone with their credit cards all maxed, no vacation days and not much for job advancement prospects.

They have no room to add anyone good, no upcoming draft pick and just good enough to make the playoffs. Unless Ellenson turns into Okur we?re pretty well set as a team. Kennard.. meh.. Stanley Johnson is Eric Ebron (meaning he won?t ever reach what he coulda woulda shoulda been)
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                      The team that you held up as the example of how to build through not tanking (Atlanta) is right back in purgatory while the team you scorned is in the conference semis (Philly) with a lot of promising young players.

Tanking is the ONLY way out... at least, it's the only way out for the Pistons. They don't have the Free Agent appeal or the blind luck to pull what Golden State did.
                      It wasn't just Atlanta, Boston didn't tank. Golden State didn't tank, Houston certainly didn't tank. Sure Philly is in the 2nd round but they are down to a hobbled Celtics team that again didn't tank. In fact the years you would have wanted them to tank, Brad Stevens went out of his way to win games. I'm not even sure what you want to consider Cleveland, they got lucky that Lebron was born in Akron and they have been incredibly lucky in the lottery.

Atlanta isn't in purgatory they clearly were one of the ones tanking.

Philly has some good young players, but so did OKC, it didn't win them a title and they had three MVP players from their tanking.

0As far as the Pistons going forward, if they were able to tank it would be better than this. But they are stuck. I'm not sure they could shed any of those contracts without taking on some whoppers in return. Maybe Drummond, that's it. But the team would be in much better shape if they drafted Donovan Mitchell, than Luke Effin Kenard. WTF.
                      Last edited by froot loops; May 9, 2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• Actually, addendum to my post about his trades being good - his free agent signings have been huge overpays for the most part. Ish Smith was so so ... but Jon Leuer and especially Langston Galloway were huge overpays
                        WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Add Boban to that also....It's not just the signing, it's that Stan never seemed to have a plan for any of them.

Comment

• It was time for Stan to go. I'm more and more intrigued by the idea of Stack and Chauncey

Comment

• They'd be no worse then SVG

Comment

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
                                They'd be no worse then SVG
                                Oh sure they can. There's a long list of Pistons coaches and GMs who were far worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X