No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last edited by Kstat; September 28, 2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• I doubt getting rid of the max contract will get rid of the superteams. Somehow the 96 Bulls happened. Players like to play with other good players, period. They will figure out a way. There is no way around the fact that if you can get 2 or 3 top players you can have a great team. Getting rid of the max contract would result in some bigger contracts but I'm not sure anymore, the max contract seems to be a magnet for good player to make more money. Basically getting rid of the max contract really has the effect of changing 1 or 2 players in the league at any time. Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, Jordan.

Comment

• And don't listen to all of those bitter players from the 80s and 90s saying they wouldn't have left to play for a rival, its total BS, they didn't have true free agency. If they had a setup like this, they would have freely moved.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          And don't listen to all of those bitter players from the 80s and 90s saying they wouldn't have left to play for a rival, its total BS, they didn't have true free agency. If they had a setup like this, they would have freely moved.
          Different league, different motivations.

I dont for for a second think Jordan, Magic or Bird would have moved. Moses obviously did. Not sure about anyone else.

Comment

• Your points all make sense to me, although there are obviously massive flaws in the HR vs 3 comparison. I guess it just boils down to me getting tired of watching guys just camp out behind the line. Obviously it's a great skill ... I just don't particularly like it.
            WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Magic and Bird didn't have to move, they both were drafted into superteams. Bird wins his first championship in his 2nd year and Magic in his rookie year.

Jordan is an interesting case, his first free agency year would have been after they lost in the ECF to Detroit in 89-90.

None of those guys are big into criticizing player movement, that's understandable because they have all been executives trying to get those free agents.

Comment

• I can't wait for the training camp sunshine and rainbows articles to start piling up. It'll be how RJ is healthy, Stanley Johnson can now somehow efficiently shoot with a little offseason practice. Andre's FT percentage will be up again this year along with a 3 ball, Ellenson isn't a waste of space and Kennard will somehow make us forget that we could have drafted D Mitchell.

Did I miss anything?
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Yes, you forgot how impressed Casey has been with our so called "defensive effort."

The yearly Stanley articles are the best. He's always doing this intense training and he's some sort of workout wonder. However, nowhere does it ever mention working on, you know, his shooting.

Comment

• 4 or 5 inch taller Mateen Cleaves without the PG skills
                    WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• I don't mind the sunshine articles. All 4 sports teams are bad, we can take anything positive right now.

Comment

I don't mind the sunshine articles. All 4 sports teams are bad, we can take anything positive right now.
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Like I said I prefer the sunshine articles before the meteor of reality hits.

Comment

I doubt getting rid of the max contract will get rid of the superteams. Somehow the 96 Bulls happened. Players like to play with other good players, period. They will figure out a way. There is no way around the fact that if you can get 2 or 3 top players you can have a great team. Getting rid of the max contract would result in some bigger contracts but I'm not sure anymore, the max contract seems to be a magnet for good player to make more money. Basically getting rid of the max contract really has the effect of changing 1 or 2 players in the league at any time. Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, Jordan.
                            Well... nothing is going to entirely get rid of superteams. That's kinda the inherent problem with only having 5 people on the field of play at any given time. There's never going to be NFL-level parity... but I can promise you, one or two of Golden State's "Big 4" would seriously reconsider staying in Golden State if other teams could bring them a blank check. As it is... why would Durant have even considered going anywhere else than Golden State since the money was going to be equal regardless?

There's always going to be a handful of teams that are going to be the odds on favorites any given year (that's quite literally been true since the league's formation). The problem is that in the past you had 3 or 4 contenders and another 3 or 4 dark horses that could at least make the playoffs interesting, whereas right now you have one nigh guaranteed lock to win it all, and one or two possible dark horse spoilers. That's not a healthy formula for the league, and the downturn in the ratings (even in your beloved Finals that is supposedly all that matters) is a sign that even casual fans are kinda getting tired of seeing a lack of competition.

Comment

• Pretty much agree with all of that. I do have some hope that Casey will be an improvement and if the team stays healthy (30% chance of that happening?) this team could win 50 games in the east. But I see no chance at contending and they are capped out.

And with the Tigers, I am actually hoping the Gilbert rumors are true. I think he will be willing to pay when they are nearing contention.

Comment

• Last edited by Kstat; September 30, 2018, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X