Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You obviously didn't watch the game.
    Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

• Originally posted by nhwbrooklyn View Post
      You obviously didn't watch the game.
      I did, in fact. KCP did fine. But that's the extent of it. Fine. He didn't have a particularly good defensive showing (again, Curry dropped 38 on him), but he made up for it with good effort on the offensive end.

The Pistons didn't run away with that game because of KCP. You just get a raging boner at every Pistons' shooting guard that shows anything beyond garbage. You love them "2"s, even when it's irrational.

Comment

• KCP was very good at both ends in the first half. He was fairly pedestrian in the 2nd half and Curry is just an insane talent. I thought KCP's first half was so great that I still might call it his best game as a Piston. It was certainly encouraging.

He's yet to string 3 good offensive games together this season but he's always giving effort and that gives me hope. He's also had more good games this month than bad games.

He may never get to the Eddie Jones-level I'd hoped for him but if he keeps trending upwards, he at least can be a valuable guy on a good team the way Tayshaun was.

Comment

GS has been off lately, and it showed, but it's still a huge confidence builder.
          This was their only loss with a full squad.

The loss to Denver they were without Green.
          Loss to Dallas they were without Curry.
          Loss to the Bucks they were without Barnes.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
            KCP was very good at both ends in the first half. He was fairly pedestrian in the 2nd half and Curry is just an insane talent. I thought KCP's first half was so great that I still might call it his best game as a Piston. It was certainly encouraging.

He's yet to string 3 good offensive games together this season but he's always giving effort and that gives me hope. He's also had more good games this month than bad games.

He may never get to the Eddie Jones-level I'd hoped for him but if he keeps trending upwards, he at least can be a valuable guy on a good team the way Tayshaun was.
            This is kinda an extension of a very old debate Brook and I have had, starting with Rip "Dime A Dozen" Hamilton. Brook believed Hamilton was a unique, underrated superstar scorer. I believed Hamilton was a Reggie Miller clone only with less range and would be neutered without a savvy point guard feeding him the ball. History (and a Chauncey Billups trade) proved me right.

Now he's got his new "2" love, and is again trying to ignore that point guard play is the most important element of the game right now, and that shooting guards are the easiest position on the court to fill adequately (hence the term "dime a dozen shooting guards). KCP is as you say he is; a hard working player that will be a valuable piece to a good team. Which should be fine. But not for Brook. KCP's gotta be SPECIAL.

It's almost as strange as his crush on Bill Laimbeer.
            Last edited by chemiclord; January 17, 2016, 08:47 PM.

Comment

KCP was very good at both ends in the first half. He was fairly pedestrian in the 2nd half and Curry is just an insane talent. I thought KCP's first half was so great that I still might call it his best game as a Piston. It was certainly encouraging.

His effort level is really special. The just flies around the court. Great to see.
              Rashean Mathis: "I'm an egg guy. Last year we didn't have (the omelet station). I didn't complain, but I was dying inside."

Comment

This was their only loss with a full squad.

The loss to Denver they were without Green.
                Loss to Dallas they were without Curry.
                Loss to the Bucks they were without Barnes.
                Yeah no it's a huge win, no doubt. I just don't think GS is playing at their usual level lately. It'll be interesting to see how they fair against the Cavs and the Bulls on their road trip.

Comment

His effort level is really special. The just flies around the court. Great to see.
                  Unfortunately his fundamentals are terrible. He has to work on his skill level.

Comment

• It's his ball handling that you're talking about.

Comment

• In the back of the locker room, former Piston Rip Hamilton was giving an impromptu basketball lesson to Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Hamilton held his hands apart, as if he were holding an imaginary basketball, and he was giving the youngster some tips.

From one shooting guard to another.

From one generation to the next.

“Don’t waste any dribbles,” Hamilton said. “And don’t go into a counter until they force you go to go into a counter.”

Later, Hamilton explained himself. “Sometimes, in the game (Saturday night), he was going into his counter, before the guy made him go into it,” Hamilton said. “It’s just something, from a mental standpoint, that makes the game easier; and it made it easier for me.”

It was like a big brother coming home for the first time and talking to his younger brother.

“I was very impressed,” Hamilton said, of Caldwell-Pope. “I saw the way he played. I like the way he moved without the ball. I like the way he defends. I like the way he doesn’t take any possessions off. That’s special man. I tried to give him a few tips about the game, just understanding the offense and understanding how to get a shot off.”

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                        This is kinda an extension of a very old debate Brook and I have had, starting with Rip "Dime A Dozen" Hamilton. Brook believed Hamilton was a unique, underrated superstar scorer. I believed Hamilton was a Reggie Miller clone only with less range and would be neutered without a savvy point guard feeding him the ball. History (and a Chauncey Billups trade) proved me right.
                        Rip was a very good SG and a key component to a championship team. Having to share a backcourt with a chucker like The Canswer and Stuckey as you enter your 30's is going to put a hurt on anyone's stats. He still had some decent shooting years and solid assist numbers after Joe erred in shipping Chauncey out.
                        He wasn't an all-timer but his 3 all-star appearances were warranted. I only hope that KCP gets that good.

Comment

• Yeah Rip was very good, in the glory years he was approaching great. I don't get the dime a dozen tag chemiclord puts on him. To me that means replacement level player. You can't be a Reggie Miller clone and a dime a dozen player. He was great moving without and that is rare. His big flaw was he was not a great 3 point shooter.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            Yeah Rip was very good, in the glory years he was approaching great. I don't get the dime a dozen tag chemiclord puts on him. To me that means replacement level player. You can't be a Reggie Miller clone and a dime a dozen player. He was great moving without and that is rare. His big flaw was he was not a great 3 point shooter.
                            I'll admit that calling him "Dime-a-Dozen" is unfair, and I do it only to troll Brook at this point.

But Hamilton wasn't particularly special. He could score off the screen. That... was pretty much it. He wasn't a particularly great defender. He wasn't a particularly great ball-handler. He wasn't a particularly great penetrator. He had his niche, and he used it to the best of his ability.

The only thing that was rather unique about him was how he scored (and even then Reggie Miller was superior in all aspects of that). There were (and are) just so many shooting guards that can score and score in bunches if they get open, that I remain wholly unimpressed that Hamilton had a handful of games where he "carried" the offensive production. That's what he's SUPPOSED to do as the shooting guard. He's supposed to be the finisher... and in that regard, he did his job well.

But take Hamilton off that team, and replace him with any other Top 15 shooting guard at the time and the Pistons still win 50+ games and win an NBA title. Now, take Chauncey Billups off the team and try to replace him with anyone other than 2 or 3 others and there's no chance in hell. And as much as Rasheed Wallace irritates me and I think he directly blew the Pistons chance in 2005, take him off the 2004 team and replace him with anyone short of Tim Duncan and the Pistons aren't NBA Champions.

I just can't say that about Hamilton. I'm not sure why Pistons fans have to believe that everyone on that team was a special snowflake and that without any one of them, success wasn't going to happen... but it's not true. Even on that team of equals, there were some that were "more equal" than others, to paraphrase Orwell.

Hamilton was a good player, despite my jabs at Brook. He was a Top 15 shooting guard during his time. Good (hell very good), but not particularly special, and not irreplaceable. He needed Billups or someone like him to be at his best, and I don't get what is so wrong in that statement.

Comment

• He was better than top 15 shooting guard at the time. But even given your scenario, you can't go to Walmart and buy a top 15 shooting guard.

Comment

• Did you not read the very first sentence where I admit the "Dime a Dozen" moniker is unfair?

Comment

Working...
                                X