Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    Stevens was young plus he wasn't a program coach. The problem with a guy like Wright is his success is based on building a program. He is not some whiz with the whiteboard. almost every college coach is lost when they go to the pros, they don't have the chops drawing up plays. Jay Wright would be as successful as John Calipari in the NBA

The problem with Van Gundy were numerous, but coaching wise he didn't evolve. Sure he got to the NBA with one center and 4 shooters. But nowadays that is the standard.
    His jump to the pros was based entirely on him developing Butler into a temporary threat in the NCAA tournament. The ONLY reason he's the Celtics coach is because he succeeded in "building a program."

There's certainly reason to be wary of Wright, but the arguments you're using could just as easily been leveled at Stevens.

Comment

• Stevens was/is one of the best and drawing up plays in the game ... Izzo is a college guy who is know for his x's and o's savvy, but he's staying at State and is getting a little old for the NBA. I agree with Froot .... Wright isn't beating people because of execution, he's beating people with better players.
      Forever One!

Comment

• When I say program coach, I mean when you roll out a bunch of All-American recruits and beat them with talent. Most of the big name coaches always have a talent advantage. Generally the rule of thumb is you have at least couple 1st round picks on the team. Butler under Stevens was not that. Which makes this post laughable

Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
        His jump to the pros was based entirely on him developing Butler into a temporary threat in the NCAA tournament. The ONLY reason he's the Celtics coach is because he succeeded in "building a program."

There's certainly reason to be wary of Wright, but the arguments you're using could just as easily been leveled at Stevens.
        That dude coached his ass off to get Butler to two straight championship games. Look at the roster and tell me the All America talent he had. He had Gordon Heyward the first year, the only other NBA talent he had was Shelvin Mac and he's a vagabond journeyman.

At the time it was thought that he was a coaching prodigy, that's why he got hired. He's proven it at the NBA, look at the team he is succeeding with.
        Last edited by froot loops; May 16, 2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• As much as I admired Izzo and the program he has built, he would be an awful fit in the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            When I say program coach, I mean when you roll out a bunch of All-American recruits and beat them with talent. Most of the big name coaches always have a talent advantage.
            Ah. I getcha now. Sorry I misinterpreted what you meant.

Comment

• If you look in the dictionary Roy Williams is the picture next to that definition, a competent coach but you would starve if you had to rely on him to come up with an innovative game plan.

Comment

• So basically Beilein would be a HoF NBA headcoach since he wins with less!
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• You would starve, huh? You believe a coach who has lead his team to the Final Four 9 times and won 3 NCAA championships has no idea how to draw up a play. Not gpnna agree with your assessment.

Comment

• If the Pistons hire Becky Hammon as head coach, I’ll actually consider buying the NBA season pass just to see what happens next season. History/ entertainment.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by fontes91 View Post
                      You would starve, huh? You believe a coach who has lead his team to the Final Four 9 times and won 3 NCAA championships has no idea how to draw up a play. Not gpnna agree with your assessment.
                      That's fine, I don't need validation on my correct opinion. His best play over his whole career has been to roll the ball out on the court. It is great at UNC, problematic if you are in the league though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                        If the Pistons hire Becky Hammon as head coach, I?ll actually consider buying the NBA season pass just to see what happens next season. History/ entertainment.
                        It would be interesting
                        WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• I came here to see if anyone was talking about that. I honestly don't think that a job like the Pistons would be a good fit EVEN IF she was the top Spurs assistant available (she isn't, Messina is). A place where you have middling talent under pressure to make the playoffs is not the place for a media circus based around the historic hiring of a female head coach. Knowing Gores, he will prob hire her just to sell more tickets.
                          1. Todd Gurley RB 2. Eddie Goldman DT 3. Tre McBride WR 5-7 OL Depth

Comment

• Brad Stevens or Gregg Popovich are probably the only head coaches that can win a playoff series with the Pistons 2018/2019 roster.
                            Given how the Pistons have no shot in the near future, might as well be entertained. Create interest anyway possible. The first female head coach in any of the three major sports would be interesting.
                            If Hammon can gain respect of a locker room and has a strong basketball IQ, good enough for me.

NBA purgatory sucks. Let’s be entertained in the next few years as the Pistons are stuck with the contracts situation.
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Everyone keeps ripping on the Pistons like they have no talent. That is not true.
                              The key here is Reggie Jackson. When he started the Pistons were 27-18 .600 winning percentage. When he did not start it the Pistons went 12-25 .324 winning percentage. When, Reggie was healthy this was a 48-49 win team. So a team that would have contended for a division title this year.

Griffin and Drummond is a very nice 4/5 combo.
                              Bullock is a threat behind the arc and fit in nicely in the starting lineup.
                              Jackson a solid point.

Problem they have is at the other starting wing. Johnson just can't shoot that well but seemed to do better coming off the bench. Maybe someone like Ennis who showed something (like a solid ability to hit from deep)last year when starting. Either way ability to hit deep and defender on the wings is a must (along with being okay as a secondary option).

Hard to say much about the bench since whoever the coach and front office people will have a major influence.
                              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I’ll have a double of what he’s having ^

This team has no future. We’re now the Clippers except our PG isn’t as good and Blake is another year older. We’re in salary cap purgatory and it’ll be next year before we have a first round draft pick for fresh talent
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X