X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
    no, just stop making stuff up.

FACtHT - He never asked for a trade.

FACT - He could of let his contact run out but he consistently held the Lions hostage to renegotiate and extend his contract.
    Ok man, he wanted an 'alternative trade'.

This wardrobe is big!

He acted like a professional and a business man, and deserves everything he got.
    Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

FACT - He could of let his contact run out but he consistently held the Lions hostage to renegotiate and extend his contract.
      Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
      He also was willing to be traded to another team (the Dolphins came up as one team that inquired), and Ol' Man Ford personally declared Sanders was either going to play for the Lions or no one.

So Barry decided, "Okay, fine. No one."
      Huge story at the time.

Maybe you were on one of your moon missions, I don't know....

But shit happened.

And he should have gotten rich. WTF are you thinking?

Fact is, Barry couldn't achieve freedom to pursue a SB, and said fuck it, why kill myself? I'm good. Got a few bucks. Can still play a Digeradoo. And have not yet been knocked stupid.

The Lions were not going be a competitor for years, and Barry knew that. He was up for finishing out elsewhere.
      Last edited by dpatnod; April 28, 2017, 10:07 PM.
      Lions Fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
        He also was willing to be traded to another team (the Dolphins came up as one team that inquired), and Ol' Man Ford personally declared Sanders was either going to play for the Lions or no one.

So Barry decided, "Okay, fine. No one."
        Isn't this one of the questions on the Lions fan application form?
        Lions Fans.

Comment

• So where is your evidence of these events? He never even talks about it in his book.

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
            Fuck, this was a headline for weeks, if you were alive at the time. It was a big stand-off over it, ending in the retirement of the greatest of all time with hours of notice.

Fuck. Hello?
            Hello, that was in 2000. Three years after he retired.

Comment

Hello, that was in 2000. Three years after he retired.
              He retired in 99...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
              AAL- Sam Martin - Because the Punter is one of Detroit's most used assets

Comment

• Here you go.

[ame]https://youtu.be/qlGNf4QLjGA?t=1965[/ame]
                Last edited by dpatnod; April 28, 2017, 11:06 PM.
                Lions Fans.

Comment

• Miami wanted him. There were discussions in the background.

I am sure you can google and find out all about it, like the rest of us who were alive at the time.... and you know, saw all this shit. Damn. This is not an obscure news story or something.

You are wrong. Again.

Cover your man-gina and Admit it.
                  Last edited by dpatnod; April 28, 2017, 11:40 PM.
                  Lions Fans.

Comment

• Lomas Brown was only slightly more 'in the loop' because you were orbiting Europa that week.
                    Lions Fans.

Comment

• It would be no different than Barry today spending his last two seasons as a Patriot. Lots of vets have done something similar to cap their career. But the Fords prevented #20 from ever even trying on shoes of another team's color.

He would have not retired, had he had the opportunity to chase a SB.

He also would have made bank in the process, btw. So,,, Dick!!!!!????? F him I guess??

Explain to me again why he sucks?
                      Lions Fans.

Comment

• Aw man....., ol man Ford......, what a suckiest suck to ever suck.

And ol woman (woman? debatable) Ford? I think the Lions win fk all whilst that ol coffin dodgin bstd still lives.

Why can that younger guy who fucking owns everything in Detroit not put in a massive bit and buy the Lions?

All of the above is no doubt wind & pish......., just askin'!
                        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

He wanted to go to another team? Have any proof of that? If he want to go to another why did he repeatedly renegotiate his contract before it ever terminated? In other words, if he wanted to go to another team why didn't he ever put himself in the position to be able to?

Fact is, all he ever wanted to be was the highest payed running back, he always made sure of that. He never cared about winning. He said that on the Letterman show after the season where they lost to Green Bay in the playoffs for the second year in a row. Hell, letterman finally asked him -" are you sure you're in the right line of work?"
                          Well, there is a lot of truth here but, trying to portray Sanders as a money hungry player that was only interested in enriching himself is only partially truth.

It is true he wanted to be compensated for his services according to how well he performed. It is true he wanted to be paid like the best at his position while he was the best at his position. His Agent had a lot to do with the re-opening of discussions on his contracts as well as his participation in regular scheduled football activities that could result in injury and prevent him from competing.

This balance of wanting to be paid like the best and being treated like the best ended when Fontes was replaced and along with some of the other things that directly affected the on field play, made Barry disenchanted with his future in the NFL.

Barry stated when he signed the contract before his final one, and he restated when he signed his final contract, that he might not finish the contract out because he intended to walk away from the game not wait until the game made it difficult for him to walk.

Originally posted by dwt1 View Post

It is true that his Agent mad sure his contracts were iron clad in his clients best interest. I believe there was a no trade clause in there also. I do believe Barry was willing to play a few more years but no longer with the Lions. Sr. believed it would be for the Lions or no one, as that is what they wanted when they negotiated the no trade.

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                          Barrys contract stipulated that he had to be paid amongst the top 2 RB's in the game (or was it the highest paid period).

As the other RB contracts increased, Barry, by contract, had to have his adjusted. And rightly so to play in Detroit.
                          Which took all the showing up at the OTA's off the table as there was no longer a need to negotiate from the Agent's prospective.

.....then he retired. Classic Barry and good for him!

I just still have a problem with how long it took, and how he did it.

Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
                          It would be no different than Barry today spending his last two seasons as a Patriot. Lots of vets have done something similar to cap their career. But the Fords prevented #20 from ever even trying on shoes of another team's color.

He would have not retired, had he had the opportunity to chase a SB.

He also would have made bank in the process, btw. So,,, Dick!!!!!????? F him I guess??

Explain to me again why he sucks?
                          I suspect you are correct here but let's again understand that his Agent negotiated a no trade clause in the contract so the owner holding up to the no trade clause would not be spiteful, but rather, acknowledgement of contractual obligation.
                          Last edited by Malto Marko; April 29, 2017, 06:36 AM.
                          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
                            Miami wanted him. There were discussions in the background.

I am sure you can google and find out all about it, like the rest of us who were alive at the time.... and you know, saw all this shit. Damn. This is not an obscure news story or something.

You are wrong. Again.

Cover your man-gina and Admit it.
                            Dude, all this happened AFTER he retired. Chemi claimed that the fact ford wouldn't let him go to Miami was one of the reasons he retired - and then you piled on top of that to tell me how stupid I was for not knowing that fact.

The fact is, there was never any interest by Barry to be traded or go anywhere else while he played the game, never - stop making shit up.
                            Last edited by dwt1; April 29, 2017, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• I don't believe much of the Dolphins stuff or almost anything regarding the retirement. Most of that stuff was drummed up by his agent. I really don't believe anything after the fact with Barry himself. Barry was a weird, socially introverted guy. It was always going to end weird, it would have ended weird if he had multiple rings.

But he was great when he was a Lion, if you couldn't see that you were blind and stupid.

Comment

• Good point.

He was great because he was exciting to watch, but he was far from effective. That's why he was not a three down back. Over half of his run attempts were for less than two yards.

Comment

Working...
                                X