Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What pocket?
    Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

I do think the hey day of the straight back pocket passer is gone. Manning and Brady probably are the last of the greats.

Quarterbacks today need a scrambling ability to get away from defensive pressure.

In my opinion a very good to great QB has these abilities:
      Intelligence
      Arm strength
      Mobility
      Leadership

I would grade Stafford like this:

Intelligence: B-
      Arm strength A
      Mobility C
      Leadership C

On the leadership grade I am basing on his inconsistent play on the field.
      He is a quiet leader. That works if your a great player, aka Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson. But since he isn't great it won't work
      When you listen to him giving the pregame talk to the team, you here a guy who just doesn't sound confident in himself, or what he's saying.
      I just isn't his bag to be a vocal leader. However I do remember early on in his first year, on the sidelines he did have some fire when talking to the O line.
      I think being a Lion has fucked up his psyche.

Comment

Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
        I do think the hey day of the straight back pocket passer is gone. Manning and Brady probably are the last of the greats.

Quarterbacks today need a scrambling ability to get away from defensive pressure.
        I thought this year was quite the resurgence for the pocket QB. With the trend for the spread and defending it, you can get a leg up going with a more traditional personnel and taking defenses head-on.

It holds true no matter the era...If your QB can't set his feet and deliver the ball hash to hash, you're likely to struggle. Didn't matter who Denver saw(Brady or Newton) they were unlikely to play well.

On that note, Tom Brady at QB is all Detroit needs to win? Yeah, see that Denver game again...that's x16 here the way they shit the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
          That's my point. Are you too dense to pick up on that?
          I wasn't talking to you. I don't read your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by AMP View Post
            I wasn't talking to you. I don't read your posts.
            Fuck you are worse than DWT. Could of fooled me on though on both reading my post (as well as responding) and not speaking to me. If you are responding to someone quote them otherwise anyone that posted a point to that you are talking about will think your typing to them. Anyways enjoy the post you wont be reading.
            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

On the pocket passer I mentioned, I was referring to a player with very little mobility. I think newton, luck, rodgers as pocket passers first but who can transfer to a runner if the situation arises. So I guess I meant a pure pocket passer with no or little mobility. I don't think spread offense QB's will ever succeed in NFL if they can't stand in the pocket and deliver an accurate pass.

Comment

Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
                What pocket?
                Dude, pressure came from one person and one person only, that sack was easily avoided if the QB has just a modicum of awareness. At the point of the sack, the next closest defender is 4 yards away and completely contained.
                Last edited by dwt1; May 9, 2016, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post

In my opinion a very good to great QB has these abilities:
                  Intelligence
                  Arm strength
                  Mobility
                  Leadership

I would grade Stafford like this:

Intelligence: B-
                  Arm strength A
                  Mobility C
                  Leadership C

On the leadership grade I am basing on his inconsistent play on the field.
                  He is a quiet leader. That works if your a great player, aka Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson. But since he isn't great it won't work
                  When you listen to him giving the pregame talk to the team, you here a guy who just doesn't sound confident in himself, or what he's saying.
                  I just isn't his bag to be a vocal leader. However I do remember early on in his first year, on the sidelines he did have some fire when talking to the O line.
                  I think being a Lion has fucked up his psyche.
                  Totally disagree on arm strength, I'll take accuracy over arm strength any day. The scrap heap of NFL QBs with arm strength is mountainous, the scrap heap of NFL QBs with accuracy is almost non-existant.

Comment

And you can't throw out a name for an alternative from your scrap heaps.

If only we had that one guy......

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOCqAwjR4kY"]Peyton Manning Super Bowl XLVIII Yakety Sax Edition - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like a downgrade to me.
                    Last edited by dpatnod; May 10, 2016, 12:27 AM.
                    Lions Fans.

Comment

Yes I agree that accuracy with arm strength is the ultimate, but I was posting a quick post and not going into every detail that a qb needs to be a benefit to his team. So I will add accuracy to my grades. Stafford grades a C on accuracy. Also the list wasn't in order of importance. If I had that I would have it 1. Intelligence 2. Accuracy 3. Leadership, 4 mobility, 5 arm strength

Comment

this thread is hilarious. drudging up old shit and arguing about it.

i can't wait for the season to start.
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

And you can't throw out a name for an alternative from your scrap heaps.

If only we had that one guy......

Peyton Manning Super Bowl XLVIII Yakety Sax Edition - YouTube

Looks like a downgrade to me.
                          I know, it would be absolutely horrible to have a guy who actullay made plays that led to wins in the playoffs......horrible, just absolutely fucking horrible.
                          Last edited by dwt1; May 10, 2016, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
                            I know, it would be absolutely horrible to have a guy who actullay made plays that led to wins in the playoffs......horrible, just absolutely fucking horrible.

Did you watch the video? Do you need me to tell you what the score was in that "win in the playoffs" for your hero?

He was another quarterback suffering from inadequate blocking. It can happen that way.

It's OK, we know it's too confusing for you to comprehend.
                            Last edited by dpatnod; May 10, 2016, 07:45 PM.
                            Lions Fans.

Comment

Stafford will be first ballot hall of fame.
                              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Did you watch the video? Do you need me to tell you what the score was in that "win in the playoffs" for your hero?

He was another quarterback suffering from inadequate blocking. It can happen that way.

It's OK, we know it's too confusing for you to comprehend.
                                Almost as difficult as it is for you to comprehend that a QB can HELP his blockers by understanding basic QB skills.

Comment

Working...
                                X