Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non Football (OR POLITICAL) things that piss you off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn dude. that sounds legit scary.
    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• One of the worst things was not really knowing what to do. There is no playbook and the hackers are better at this shit than most people are at stopping them. There was really nobody there to tell us how to deal with it. We read a shit load of on-line stuff, but we still felt pretty helpless.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
        We were lucky. The bastards got into my email account, an account I've had for more than 20 year so it was full of all kinds of shit, and were following my correspondence setting up a fishing trip to Canada. They took it over and hit on the Friday night that I was traveling, banking on me being off the grid for a week. Luckily one of my wife's obscure emails was secondary on one of brokerage accounts and she got notice that they tried to set up a new bank account to transfer funds. They changed all of the email addresses in our accounts except that one. If we wouldn't have had that, they would have cleaned us out before we knew what the fuck was going on. She fought with the banks and brokerage accounts for a week while I was gone and was able to stop them from getting anything. After I got home we spent days changing security, passwords, email accounts, etc etc. Thankfully they did not get my Gmail or Google accounts.

I'm pretty sure they got my info in the Equifax breach. They were able to access all of my accounts because they had my social, address and date of birth and access to my phone lines. Every single one of the fuckers let them in, even bypassing phone passwords that we had set up...
        Luckily I froze my credit when the breach happened or we probably would have had more bullshit to deal with than we had.

This shit ain't no joke. Make sure you have the highest level of security that you can have on all of your accounts, because the bastards probably have your info. Most companies don't do a whole lot to keep it secure. I even got a burner phone to use for all of my accounts in case they come back and try to use my phone numbers to get us again.
        Hopefully we made it hard enough for them to leave us alone and look for an easier target...
        Two factor authentication is your friend.

Also, if it was the Equifax breach, you can recover all your costs.

Comment

• TFA helps but if they have your phones and your email addresses that you send the codes to you are fucked. (They had them) The biggest problem was with the lax security over the phones. Once they got into my email, they were able to call places and convince them that they were me and they forgot their password. They got the passwords reset and then had unlimited access. They changed email addresses, passwords, phone numbers and challenge questions associated with the accounts. The eye opening part of this was how easy it was for me to get it back over the phone. If it was easy for me to get it back, it was obviously easy for them to take it over.

I applied for the money from Equifax, but it looks as if the settlement will not cover the amount of people applying, so I doubt that I will get much if anything from them.

Some sites have voice and face recognition now. That is pretty solid

Most "experts" recommend having an separate stand alone device to handle finances. That is why we now have the burner (Trac) phone and separate number and email account that we use only for those accounts. I should get another chromebook to handle then too.

On the accounts that allow it, I have frozen all withdrawal ability. I will need a signature medallion to free them up, but those are mostly IRAs, mutual funds, and 529s that I won't need for a while.

I'm not too worried about my bank accounts and credit cards. It seems that there isn't much you can do to stop your credit cards from getting compromised every now and then other than monitor the account and act quickly on fraudulent charges. That happens to us a few times a year. I think that is just a part of life these days...*sigh*
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• I assume you're referring to the $125 Equifax settlement. I believe that is only for those who do not have financial records of real losses. From what I understand, if you have documented proof that you spent money to recover you will be reimbursed for those costs in full.

Comment

• Wow, that's pretty incredible, CG. You are so fortunate you headed this off.
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                Wow, that's pretty incredible, CG. You are so fortunate you headed this off.
                Yeah. It was a pain in the ass, but we were lucky.

Comment

• That is scary, CGVT. I always joked in my younger years (when I was shitty in the financial decision area of my life) that I wish someone would steal my identity, but that shit is super scary to think about.
                  Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• Yeah, it sucked, Frank. Do what you can to protect your shit. You sure don't want to deal with this bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post

Yeah. It was a pain in the ass, but we were lucky.

Wow man. I am thoroughly afraid right now. Some yahoo got 2 I phones on my Sprint account a couple years ago. I was wondering why my bill suddenly went up and when the representative said I just got 2 new phones last month my heart dropped. I asked them to send me the request/authorization form, it wasn't my hand writing and it was from Kansas City.

It didn't take long for the Sprint Fraud division to see that it wasn't from me because they could see I was in Michigan at the same time this was being ordered across the nation.

That was scary. But now I have it where they have my picture. And anyone ordering something on my account has to have me with them and I HAVE to have my driver's license to compare the numbers and photo.

It's like me Father always said, as hard as you work for your money, there's people working just as hard to take it from you.

The jackazes are smart enough to have legit businesses. IDK why they have take other people's money.

Have anybody ever used LIFELOCK? What's the cost?
                      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I have Lifelock and I still got hacked in May. My checking account was missing $300.00 one day. I was like I didn't buy anything? Called my bank and froze the account.

Next day they tried taking 10+ Grand out, but was blocked. Took about a month to clear it up, big hassle opening and closing accounts.

I also know 2 others who were hacked in the last 6 months around me.

Comment

• cannot catch a break this year, dear friend of mine that I was taking to Ann Arbor for treatment passed away. no more suffering but my heart is saddened
                          If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• Originally posted by THE STEE View Post
                            cannot catch a break this year, dear friend of mine that I was taking to Ann Arbor for treatment passed away. no more suffering but my heart is saddened
                            I know the feeling I've lost 3 friends this year, all suddenly, two were 59 and one was 62. Condolences Stee.
                            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Jer was 71, Vietnam V et..dang good man....Thanks UKBB
                              If you keep shootin, you can turn any piece of meat into burger

Comment

• Sorry to hear that, Stee.
                                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X