New Lions coaching candidates for 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
    I don't feel that Belichick will retire. He seems to loves coaching too much. He will probably die with a headset on.
    Yeah, maybe. I definitely would have agreed with you before this season, but trading away the young and talented QB and keeping the 40-year old was very unlike Belichick. (I don't care how well Brady is playing right now. Father Time is undefeated and the end is near.)

That really seems like a move a coach makes when he is going to ride out this closing window of opportunity until it ends and then retire before the rebuilding process happens.

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson

Comment

• Brady is going to play a few more years. They weren't going to be able to keep Jimmy G after this season. They got what they could. Also, you don't trade your starting QB in the middle of the season, especially when your team is a Super Bowl contender and said QB is the GOAT.
      The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.

Comment

Brady is going to play a few more years. They weren't going to be able to keep Jimmy G after this season. They got what they could. Also, you don't trade your starting QB in the middle of the season, especially when your team is a Super Bowl contender and said QB is the GOAT.
        No, you don't trade your starting QB in the middle of the season. You sign Garoppolo to a long term extension and then cut Brady after the season (and hopefully after one more Super Bowl) before the wheels come off. In a year or two from now Brady is not going to be Brady. Garoppolo could be a top QB by then. It's just an odd move for a franchise that rarely makes mistakes of that nature.

Comment

• Dude, NE churns through players like there is no tomorrow.
          Vote for Freedom not for Free Things

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"

Comment

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
            Dude, NE churns through players like there is no tomorrow.
            Exactly, which makes it even more odd they would decide to ride what will be a 40-plus QB into the ground instead of moving on like they usually do. I guess they believe replacing Brady won't be that hard.

Comment

• In other news, Patricia is interviewing this weekend.

Comment

• They didn't get enough for Garapalo but they weren't going to be able to sign him to a long term contract. They would have had to franchise him.

Comment

• Brady was the highest rated QB by PFF this year. I don't think they're going to move on from him. Plus he has 2 years left on his contract with a 14 million dollar cap hit if they cut him. So yeah, that wasn't happening.
                  The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.

Comment

• It isn't going to continue after Brady retires, Belichick will retire and their rebuild will he on. Their best bet is to try to strike while the iron is hot.

Comment

• I read an article today that hypothesized Kraft told BB that Brady was going to play as long as he wanted and that he was hoping nowhere, in no uncertain terms. Otherwise they probably would have (and should have) traded Garappalo before the draft and gotten a 1st for him, at least.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
                      AAL- Sam Martin - Because the Punter is one of Detroit's most used assets

Comment

• It's funny this topic came up on our board today. Apparently ESPN is going to promote a hit piece on this very situation on Friday. If what ESPN claims is true, I just got my answer...lol.
                        Last edited by FanFromCali; January 4th, 2018, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• Here is a piece in regards to the article:

"The article claims that the rift is so severe many Patriots feel this is the last year together for the trio. Also that Brady went to Kraft to force Belichick to trade Jimmy G. ESPN is planning a full day of promotion tomorrow for the article and its author @SethWickersham"

Update: There are sources that now claim it's about a power struggle between the three and not that Brady forced a trade.
                          Last edited by FanFromCali; January 4th, 2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Brady was the highest rated QB by PFF this year. I don't think they're going to move on from him. Plus he has 2 years left on his contract with a 14 million dollar cap hit if they cut him. So yeah, that wasn't happening.
                            Vote for Freedom not for Free Things

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"

Comment

• Well, the Patriots better hope history all of a sudden doesn't matter because the record (and stats) of 40+ quarterbacks is awful. You basically have Favre at age 40 having one good year and that is it.

Comment

• Austin interviewing for other coordinator jobs. I think he sees the handwriting on the wall:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/...oordinator-job

By the way, because it's another DC job the Lions had to give permission to interview, which they did. He obviously is not in the running for the head coaching position, nor are they very interested in bringing him back as a coordinator.
                                Last edited by FanFromCali; January 4th, 2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X