No announcement yet.

Maryland @ Michigan, Saturday, October 6th, Noon EDT, ABC National/espn3 video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The UFR Offense is interesting ..... if you like detail. If you don't scroll to the bottom of the piece and you'll get this:

Michigan's entering a stretch of critical games against some extremely mediocre pass defenses. Mediocre pass defenses without the kind of DEs who could cause an OT reversion to form. Wisconsin: 115th in sack rate. MSU: 77th. PSU: 45th. The best efficiency D of that bunch against the pass is PSU at 47th. With Patterson hitting the groove and Gentry fully weaponized, Michigan should take their passing offense out of the garage and do... shifty things.

Up article is this tid-bit: Michigan:

........ Michigan's offense, which is close to dead last in tempo and runs 65% of the time on standard downs ........

Fuck that... and I think that is Brian's point. So, we agree. And so do most people in the universe of M football's critical observers.

I like Harbughffense and it's run-centric properties. The numbers tell us that pounding works ..... against the first 6 teams M played minus ND, and Brian actually thinks this is an outlier. His keen eye does not think the OL is world beaters but it is way better than last season's cluster fuck. The right side is good, the left, meh. Runyan has turned in two consecutive pass-pro + game performances but he's had trouble in the run game so, WTF ..... pass the damn ball.

SPONSOR NOTE: Reminder that Matt is hanging out at the Charity Tailgate at 327 East Hoover (if you were at the preseason MGoEvents this year and last it's the same place). There are food trucks, beer, televisions, a giant colorful bus, and it's right next to Revelli so the band will march past. Check it out. When not tailgating Matt is also a person who will get you a mortgage right quick from the comfort of your own home. If you need one, he's the man, man. FORMATION NOTES: Michigan added an entire bomber wing to the right side of their line for various snaps: These were part of a larger 3TE package that also had some more balanced looks, one from the gun. These were almost all runs. The above package specifically was a way to use the Big Big Boys on dive plays without exposing the backs to interlopers from the outside. The rest of the day was pretty much par for the course. There were a few more pistol snaps(7), a couple of which featured the biggest lineup Michigan can muster save for Oliver Martin's presence, which is RB Mason, FB Wangler, and two TEs. I had 26 snaps from under center, 7 from the pistol, and 36 from the gun, FWIW. SUBSTITUTION NOTES: Mostly the usual. Large uptick in Wangler snaps, possibly as middle finger to DJ Durkin. Higdon got the large bulk of the RB snaps, with a few going to Mason and Wilson. Bell and Martin have settled in as the backup outside WRs. Gentry barely left the field; McKeon also got a ton of snaps. Eubanks got maybe ten as Michigan used some 3TE sets. OL was the usual. [after THE JUMP: it's a Zentry(!) kind of day]
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Notre Dame is outlier because they're a good team. Not because M just played so damn bad.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• It was good to get another datapoint supporting the notion of significant inseason OL improvement, which my eyetest suggests is happening. WMU ends got more passrush than I've seen in a few weeks now. Given the QB injuries of recent years -- it's been more common in this decade to go into The Game with an injury-limited QB or a backup than with a healthy one -- I personally wouldn't be opening up the offense until you know the QB can be protected. In the meantime, sure -- keep working on diversifying that ground game. It feels like we're inching toward that opening people are clamoring for, and I'm fine with the pace of progress.

And I agree that Michigan is able to amass a pretty incredible amount of muscle on the right side of the LOS.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Notre Dame is outlier because they're a good team. Not because M just played so damn bad.
          Correct.

In the context of Brian's thought on the ND outlier thing, he was speaking to the point that M's rushing O against ND as compared to the other 5 teams demonstrated it was not good because ND IS GOOD up front. The others not as good.

I'd add that after Fall Camp, given the shit-stain that was the OL in 2017 and as far as we knew then, there was not a great plus-up in OL talent in 2018, the outcome of the run game v. ND should not have been a surprise. We can look back now and in light of what we have seen from the run centric style of Harbaughffense this season, that just further supports that picture.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Notre Dame is outlier because they're a good team. Not because M just played so damn bad.
            Yes, and no. Yes, Notre Dame is by far the best team that Michigan has played this year. No, that doesn't mean that Michigan hasn't improved greatly since then. We're seeing something similar to the Jake Rudock 2015 evolution in the Michigan offense. M lost to Utah in Rudock's first game as a Wolverine, but went on to a very successful 10-3 record in Harbaugh's first year. Other than the Utah loss, there was the freak loss to eventual playoff team MSU, and a spanking at the hands of OSU. Could be something similar this year. With Shea Patterson getting more comfortable, we're probably better than we performed in the opener against ND.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

• ND benefited from a ton of penalties, metal mistakes and awful spots that directly extended their scoring drives.

I'd love to play them again.

Comment

• Of course. Like every other M loss. In any event, it looks like M will get that chance in the CFP.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?

Comment

Of course. Like every other M loss. In any event, it looks like M will get that chance in the CFP.
                    Not so quick -- first we have to get by Wisconsin -- TWICE

Comment

• LOL! Must have been made by a bot, but credit due for the most calming picture I've ever seen with a game review.

Comment

Working...
                      X