No announcement yet.

Michigan 21, MSU 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"MIchigan is going to blowout MSU" blah blah blah.

Ten fucking years of Dantonio and some of you people still haven't learned.

Comment

This is a different, time, Hanni.

Harbaugh will stride comfortably onto the field. His gait bold and determined. His stylish khaki pants gracefully fluttering in the brisk breeze as he makes it to midfield to offer last rites to the Sinner. Absolution will not be granted, though. No, only the promise of a purgatory of pain awaits for the Villain al la Verdi. Years from now, when they speak of it, old men gathered around the council fire, they will tell the tale of the night. The Reckoning, they will call it. The Black Mass presided over by the vengeful Archbishop of Ann Arbor.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
        This is a different, time, Hanni.
        gv9i1Sd.gif

Comment

Everything AA said might be right except the "stylish khakis", no matter the outcome Saturday or for the next hundred Saturdays that dude doesn't wear stylish khakis.

Comment

Probably just in comparison to what AA wears.

Comment

Harbaugh switched last year from Target khakis to Lululemon, wearing the Abc pant that sells for $128. on Washtenaw in Ann Arbor.

Comment

They still aren't stylisb.

Comment

Harbz wears Wal-Mart khakis, not Target, and they are fabulous.
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

It's pretty obvious that Michigan will win on Saturday. I haven't heard ANYONE predicting an MSU victory. Rather we have the usual cowards afraid that big, bad Mark Dantonio is some sort of genius that has Michigan's number (but, oddly, goes 3-9 on alternate years and can't beat Northwestern at home). And there are Valenti types who swear up and down that Michigan has more talent, and so anything less than a 40 point victory will be meaningless. I mean, you can't get much more little brotherish than that.

Michigan will win comfortably.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Dan View Post
                      It's pretty obvious that Michigan will win on Saturday. I haven't heard ANYONE predicting an MSU victory.
                      I did at the beginning of this thread:

I see this going much like the Notre Dame game. MSU will gash Don Brown's defense in the first quarter. Harbaugh will stubbornly smash Higdon into multiple 3 & outs. Sparty will lead at the half. Dantonio will get conservative and Shea will hit start moving the chains through the air. Game will be lost when Patterson throws interception on final drive. Sparty wins 23 - 17.
                      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Sparty's OL won't hold up. They might have a similar game to last season where Dantonio has a handful of very good calls to exploit Brown's aggressiveness or Lewerke making plays with his feet... This game will really tell us where Ms offense is, OL needs to run block well to setup Shea for the PA. Shea needs to make better decisions than he did vs the Badgers.
                        ?
                        More worried about Sparty than Penn state who I think is a better matchup for us.

Comment

One of the best things Lewerke did against Penn State was continually scramble out of the pocket and throw the ball away. Its hard to make a prediction on this game because you don't know who State will be fielding, they cannot win with that unit they sent out to Happy Valley. But I think Dantonio may have been holding out some guys to get healthier for this game, but that is optimism speaking, I have no real knowledge of that to speak of.

I don't think State can try to Tressel-ball it with the punters he has. He may be zagging here by opening it up, but they need some receivers. White is out, the hope is Stewart can play. Nelson was going to get redshirted until Saturday, he needs to build on that good game because they are going to be counting on him. I'm not sure the status of Nailor, but if he plays he will be involved in some sort of trick play, Michigan will be ready for it.

You can pass on MSU, but the pass defense is susceptible more to the up tempo quick slant stuff that Utah State and Northwestern ran. Can U of M run enough of those plays to expose that flaw? If they are relying on a lot of run and play action off the run, I think every Spartan would pick that poison. Patterson will have to pick apart that zone they are running. The OL played better against PSU, a lot of it was credited to a change from power blocking to zone blocking. That seems all too convenient, I'm sure there was some scheme changes but it was probably just a good day for them. Chewins has to have a better game, he is their best lineman and he was making a lot of mistakes pass blocking, Lewerke got by with his feet but those same mistakes won't be evaded with Winovich there.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Dan View Post
                            It's pretty obvious that Michigan will win on Saturday. I haven't heard ANYONE predicting an MSU victory. Rather we have the usual cowards afraid that big, bad Mark Dantonio is some sort of genius that has Michigan's number (but, oddly, goes 3-9 on alternate years and can't beat Northwestern at home). And there are Valenti types who swear up and down that Michigan has more talent, and so anything less than a 40 point victory will be meaningless. I mean, you can't get much more little brotherish than that.

Michigan will win comfortably.

Comment

Just watched a YouTube video of MSU's offense v. PSU. It's linked below if you want to watch it but it is boring. The last 3:50 with MSU driving for the winning score is missing but probably not worth watching. Here are my takes:

MSU's offense appears to be pretty unimaginative. They consistently line up in 11 and 21 personnel formations. They go to 4 wide occasionally but when they did this, Lewerke got a lot of pressure. In the max-protect looks, the pass-pro was pretty good. They mostly gap bock but there were several zone blocked plays. I didn't see a lot of pre-snap motion. Didn't see the use of a pulling guard. There were two toss-sweeps. Both failed. They are not fast to the edge. Lewerke had a couple of scrambles out there but they were improv gains. He had a couple QB draws. One went for a first down the other a short gain. I didn't see any read option or RPO plays. I don't think that is MSU's thing. On the goal line, it took them 5 tries to score. They ran 3 run plays and got a defensive holding call on the 3rd to give them a fresh set of downs. They scored on the second play of that series - a run.

Lewerke threw a bunch of short completions to RB Ladarius Jefferson who is getting most of the run with LJ Scott out. He's a good receiving back...... at least playing against PSU's soft zone. He's also got nice feet and some power to him. Felton Davis was quiet until the 4th quarter and for the most part, so was Lewerke who faced a lot of pressure from PSU's defense throughout the game. I didn't see PSU playing a lot of man which left soft coverage on the short and middle zones. Lewerke hit some nice 10y slants or quick outs for first downs. Dantonio waited until the 4th quarter to start throwing out of proportion to the usual run/pass ratio for MSU (probably 65/35); before that, he was working to establish the run and PSU defended that well. But, we know PSU's pass D isn't great and it got exploited with Lewerke throwing for 113y in that quarter alone. Davis had the winning TD grab.

This was a typical game strategy for Dantonio. The MSU D kept it close until the 4th. Nothing risky was done on offense early in the game - just pound it, don't make mistakes, don't committ trunovers, play great defense. Dantonio did run his patented fake punt during the game that worked. Lewerke was victimized by a few drops by his receivers (except RB Jefferson) earlier in the game in the limited passing action that there was. Once the clock was down to 8-10 minutes left, Lewerke started going to Davis et. al deep and connected several times with two big catches by Davis one of which amounted to a walk-off catch to win the game. Franklin stupidly played right into Mork's hands. His play calling was way too conservative for a home game with a huge HV advantage. Franklin too played risk free ball limiting the strongest aspect of PSU's game - McSorely passing the ball. The winning drive was classic prevent D against a MSU QB who has a good arm throwing to a big NFL quality receiver that goes up and gets throws. You can't do that and that's part of the reason PSU lost that game.

Versus M, Brown seems to have limited the slants that were a problem early for M. I can see Davis working Long or Hill but at the same time, Lewwereke is not going to be able to sit there and watch for a receiver to break open deep. What Lewerke does do - or this is what he did in the PSU game late - is he drops backs, sees what the Ss are doing and fires on the 3 count to a spot deep and hope Davis without any S help can run under it and make a catch. Davis is certainly up to that task or at least he was against PSU's back end it would seem

MSU is not likely to get much yardage out of Jefferson on the ground if Scott is out and not much from him if he's in. MSU's OL is just not good at moving people. So, M's goal has to be to stop the run and make Lewerke beat you. He's good enough to do some damage and he's got a good catchy type back in Jefferson and Davis (not much else) deep. But MSU isn't going to win the game on Lewerke's arm and Davis's big catches. M has to get creative on offense and resist the urge to go toe-to-toe with Dantonio and his sludgefart strategy to keep it close and get a big play, a penalty or a turnover by M to win it. It would be nice if M could put MSU on the mat early and keep them there. I'm a bit skeptical that JH will do that on the road even though, against MSU, both the numbers and the eye-ball check say it's doable.. Hope he breaks trends in that regard.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 17, 2018, 10:50 AM.
                              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

They could have used some more prevent defense on that TD catch. No safety over the top help, ha, dummies.

Comment

Working...
                                X