Michigan 42, Rutgers 7.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

•  
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Welp, for those interested in this kind of detail, I looked at M's one glaring mistake from this video above. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the replay from behind the defense that clearly showed the gaping void Pacheckio burst through off an unhuman cut-back after he took the hand-off. But there's enough.

The corners, Ambry Thomas and Long, are covering WRs split wide. Other than that Thomas nearly runs down the speedy Pacheckio, they are not factors. The core of the D is in a 4-3 over alignment (the over is what appears to be play-side where there is a TE outside the LT). The play call is a counter trap that takes the play opposite where M is aligned in the 4-3 over.

Winovich correctly takes the slot receiver, stepping outside for a moment, who has crossed over and threatens a jet sweep. This takes him away from the void that Pacheckio will run through. Gil at the WLB position and either Bush or Anthony Jordan lined up at the SLB position (I can't tell) both step forward toward the A-Gap left of the C. They are reasonably anticipating the lead blocking FB is headed there (nice way to work what Brown wants his players to do aggressively and advantage themselves with Winovich's aggressiveness on his reads.

Kinnel is occupying the deep or free S spot and he is stepping up and also toward the anticipated A-Gap at the mesh. Kinnel owns some of this big play. At this point, you can see Hudson from his viper spot is pointing that the play is a counter and it will go to the right, not the left. He has probably seen Pachecko's cut back. Brad Hawkins, playing in place of Josh Metellus at the S looks locked in to where he thinks the play is going - the aforementioned A-Gap where both LBs and FS Kinnel are headed - and steps up toward the LOS. By this time, after Pachecko has made his non-humanoid cut (I mean it is sweet and he is a fast dude) to the back-side, is edging around the spot Winovich was drawn out of by the threat of a jet sweep. Winovich tries to re-position and makes a leaping attempt toward the ball carrier to tackle but misses.

The key to this play's success is what appears to be Hawkins not seeing Hudson pointing to where the play is going and stepping up. I'll give him a pass though because he was sort-of just watching where the LBs and Kinnel were headed ...... Gill, Jordan (if that is who it is) Bush and Gary are all where they thought the play was going and are non-factors. OTH, Hawkins and Kinnel are giving up a free run on the back side if they recognize Winovich was erased, they see Hudson pointing to that empty space Pacheckio is about to burst into. They both recognized/saw neither.

Hawkins does recognize the shit-sandwich he's in shortly thereafter, tries to recover but he is out of position. What should have been a nice 10 yard gain, with the Ss cleaning up after a really well executed counter trap turns into an 82 yard run for Rutger's lone TD. It will be interesting to see how others see this play. It was really well planned and executed and you can bet IU's and osu's OC's will see this.

I thought Hawkins exited after this sort-of his fault bust. He did not. He stayed in the game and on two or three repeats of the same play (according to JH in his post game) the play got stuffed with Winovich, Kinnel and Hawkins making nice plays. Seen it, been there, don't try it again. The play starts at the 3:16 mark on the video. Anyone with sharp eyes watching this that wants to add to my take, please do so.
      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 11, 2018, 04:30 PM.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
      X