Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not being able to play effective zone these days is a recipe for eventual disaster. I shudder to think of what Kyle Murray would have done.

Comment

I have given up on the idea that Michigan is EVER going to be an elite program again. The three best teams they played beat Michigan. Twice (Ohio State and Florida) beat their ass like a red headed stepchild. Mark Army, Notre Dame and Ohio State as for sure losses.

Best case they win the bowl game and go 10-3. Would not be surprised to see an 8-5 team.
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

I think that people are overreacting to Army's win. That's a loseable game, but I'm not terrified of it. The most likely outcome there is some sort of 9 posession ugly-ass 27-20 type win.

Comment

If I may, I'd like to make a comment or two regarding the just finished season and my opinion of the 2019 season.

I am just incredibly impressed with what Nick Saban has done at Alabama. They're the best, and he's the best, and its not even close. I don't care if they lose to Clemson, .. they're still the best CFB team ever assembled. I chuckle a bit when I see that he still has Booby Willyums on his staff as an assistant. Why did he look so bad at MSU? I guess some are just meant to be Ed McMahon to Johnny Carson. (you older guys will get that, its not an insult)

For Michigan's just completed season, I cannot express my disappointment in Jim Harbaugh enough. When he was hired, I, ... like most other Michigan fans, thought that he was the answer to the question of who would it take as a HC to bring Michigan back to elite status. He has failed terribly. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with Harbaugh either physically or even mentally. I'm totally serious. This is not the same man who brought Stanford out of the gutter of CFB into NC contention, and brought the 49'ers to the Super Bowl. This Harbaugh is starting to resemble a Brady Hoke Jr type of fellow. He seems to have no problem with losing. I'm shocked at how easily he dismisses his losses to ttds. Bo Schembechler used to get so mad at losing to ANYBODY that the press people were scared to ask him questions afterward, due to what kind of answer they would get. Harbaugh just has that glazed-over look in his eyes, and says stupid stuff like "well, we've got to get better". Well, DUH ...

Scary thing is, by winning 10 games in 2018, there's no way Manuel can fire him. How do you fire a coach that averages 9-10 wins per year? This is the new accepted standard at Michigan. No longer is it important to win the B1G title, and move on to the highest post-season reward possible. Just win enough to play in Florida or JawJa every year, and its all good.

What a shame.

As I look forward to the 2019 season, I don't see much chance of anything changing. In the non-conference bracket, Army will be a early season challenge. They run the veer-option offense about as good as anyone I've ever seen. Their problem will be stopping Michigan on defense, but their offense will keep them in it. If they can successfully shorten the game, and catch Michigan on a off day, they can win. Notre Dame falls in a odd spot in the schedule, (October) in the middle of the conference season. Its at Michigan, (finally) and both teams should be at their best. I want to hope that Michigan can lay a "L" on them, but I won't bet on it. As for the rest, its true that they get the 3 majors at home, but road games at Penn State and Wisconsin will be very tough, and Indiana showed that they can be a problem as well. I don't see much chance of improvement. 10 wins is the ceiling, and like Whitley, I see a real possibility of maybe only 8 wins.

I think Harbaugh needs a decent OC to come in and take a look at his offense, and bring in some new ideas. Harbs is still a good coach (in spite of my earlier comments), but he really needs to do something like John Beilein did, when he took a long look at himself and his team, and realized that he wasn't placing enough emphasis on defense. To remedy that, Beilein went out and hired two assistants, whose expertise was Defense. He turned that part of the game over to them, and look what happened. National Finals. Harbaugh needs to do that with his offense. I'm not saying that's ALL Harbaugh needs to do, but I think that would get him started down the right road. He still needs to recruit at a high level, and as much as it pains me to say it, he needs to start winning some big recruiting battles in Ohio. I don't know if he can ever do that, but he needs to put more of an effort into it.

So, I'll just cut it off there. Lots more I could say, but I think that's enough.

Peace.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

In my opinion, it wouldn't look so bad for Harbaugh if they did well in their bowl games. A lot of people like to say bowl games don't matter, but they matter if you have a bad performance. There wouldn't have been any shame losing to Florida, but you cannot lose in that fashion.

Going forward I don't think the magic bullet for you guys is a new coordinator. I think the head coach needs to change how he approaches the game offensively, less Ben Mason and more of your receivers. Minor tweaks can go a long way in my opinion. The biggest change is he needs to get them to approach big games with enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Too many times they come out flat in these big games. The Peach Bowl and the leadup to it where a lot of guys were sitting out is problematic in my opinion. It might just be nothing to it, but that looked like a program going through the motions.

Comment

Two threads from a good twitter follow Scott Bell that is a very reasonable view of where this program is at. Read the entire threads, not just the single tweets:

Thread 1: https://twitter.com/sbell021/status/1079225390495879168
              Thread 2: https://twitter.com/sbell021/status/1079567897658298368

Comment

"head coach needs to change how he approaches the game offensively, less Ben Mason and more of your receivers."

This has been apparent all four years yet now he finally has talent at both QB and receiver and if anything M tried to force the running game more than ever. When they did throw it was too often in a passing situation when it was expected...

Inability to stop pass rushers hurt the offense alot, that is the one area M continues to miss every player they need in recruiting (offensive tackles)...

Steuber, Mayfield, Hayes are projectable, 3 star types and all were freshman... Runyan is serviceable but he shouldn't be protecting a quarterbacks blindside, it'll be good news if this off season he's moved to RT and he's fighting for his position...

I expect Pep Hamilton to go back to the NFL, Harbaugh will need a good offensive mind to replace him that'll bring fresh ideas to the table. Harbaugh noticed and spoke of these issues last off season but the offense still tried to pound Ben mason and Higdon regardless if it failed the last three possessions...

The other spot where M has missed big in recruiting is defensive tackle, that made the sting of Aubrey Solomon transferring hurt even more. Same recruit who committed to M, opened up his recruitment then committed back...

?????Want to speak more about the defense, Don Brown but don't want a Buchanan length post.

Comment

Don Brown schemes his defense like a defensive coordinator of a small scrappy team. Blitzes are fun and fans like them, but you blitz when you don't have the talent. When you have the talent blitzes should be fewer. Ultimately if you have designs on winning titles you have to be able to get pressure out of base formations.

Comment

One of the issues is when M did run zone coverages this season, they were awful. Defensive backs, LBs made critical mistakes leading to big plays. That's a result of not enough practice and in game reps... If you're only good at one thing and someone figures out your glaring weakness you're SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      In my opinion, it wouldn't look so bad for Harbaugh if they did well in their bowl games. A lot of people like to say bowl games don't matter, but they matter if you have a bad performance. There wouldn't have been any shame losing to Florida, but you cannot lose in that fashion.
                      Correct. One can go back and find specific reasons for the loss to UF and most rationalizers will name the loss of key players as a primary one. I've said this elsewhere. With a month to prepare and most likely knowing exactly who was going to play and who wasn't and that no adjustments were made to the O and the D to account for that is an indictment of the coaches.

There's a bright spot in this potentially. After giving up 100+ points in B2B losses to osu and Florida on defense and scoreing only 54 on offense the coaching staff has to have a good understanding of the conceptual mismatch that is glaringly obvious in how Harbaugh approaches the game. Playing Jim's low risk, run centric offense when facing a good DL that can shut down M's run game (UF held M to 2.6 ypc) to Don Brown's signature defense when it isn't working isn't going to win games.

My take is that Harbaugh needs to have some options here: (1) Have a plan B to Harbaugh's Plan A, low risk, run-centric offense/play to the defense scheme. If Brown's defense isn't performing, the opponent's offense is and Michigan isn't getting the 4 ypc it needs to be successful, implement Plan B ASAP.

In plan B, practice and be prepared to run more RO and RPO out of the 21, 22 and 23 personnel formations he favors. Practice and be prepared to run plays that advantage/disadvantage a defense that is keying on the run game through spread concepts using 10 or 11 personnel formations.

(2) The Change Up ....... Chose as a matter of game planning against specific opponents to go up-tempo and spready out of the gate as a "Change Up" to the style of offense Harbaugh seems to prefer. Conceptually, get closer to 45/55 pass/run play splits and increase tempo (get the play count up to or over 75 plays per game). Things might go better against the teams M needs to beat if the team was prepared for and practiced this kind of stuff.

Going forward I don't think the magic bullet for you guys is a new coordinator. I think the head coach needs to change how he approaches the game offensively, less Ben Mason and more of your receivers. Minor tweaks can go a long way in my opinion. ....
                      I agree with this too. I'm not a proponent of fan favorite, dramatic firings. I don't care if Pep Hamilton stays or goes. He's getting scape goated for problems of scheme that Harbaugh owns. I believe Harbaugh should bring on someone with fresh ideas, someone that is familiar with and has coached spread concepts that he and Pep, if he stays, will listen to. Pep may have to go to get that kind of guy and I'm fine with that if he does move on. I've seen some very credible names pop up that could be hired ala the Jim McElwain type hire or if Pep moves on as an Assistant HC.
                      • Major Applewhite - Now-fired Houston head coach
                      • Jeff Lebby - UCF quarterbacks coach
                      • Jake Spavital - West Virginia offensive coordinator
                      • Brian Wrigth - OC Toledo
                      • Cale Gundy - Asst. HC, Oklahoma
                      • Mike Yurcich, Co-Offensive Coordinator, Oklahoma State

.........The biggest change is he needs to get them to approach big games with enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Too many times they come out flat in these big games. The Peach Bowl and the leadup to it where a lot of guys were sitting out is problematic in my opinion. It might just be nothing to it, but that looked like a program going through the motions.
                      Agree in part but Harbaugh has a workman mentality and he approaches games in that way. I think he probably tries to instill in his players the need to know your job - study film and the play-book to exhibit professionalism - take every opponent seriously and respectfully, practice hard, play with mental and physical toughness. You can be focused and play well without appearing to be hyped and/or overly enthusiastic for a game.

The appearance that they come out flat is more a reflection of player focus and mild frustration that the focusing didn't lead to great execution on the first or second possessions of the game. There's a patience - don't panic - sort of mentality that is part of Harbaugh's game too. At times, I think for Harbaugh anyway, it's a hindrance. He's slow to kick start the offense when the players need it or M is falling behind. IOW, develop a Plan B and use it when it's necessary.
                      Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 31, 2018, 12:30 PM.
                      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

That might be it, but they were fired up for the MSU game and it was evident. Sometimes you have to be hyped up, logically the workman like attitude is the way you should be playing, but there is something to be said for looking at OSU and Urban Meyer when they would come into a big game. He's bouncing like a prize fighter.

Ultimately the next coordinator doesn't make a bit of difference if the head coach is calling the direction of the offense. And really, it seems like there is a conveyor belt of assistants. That would make me uncomfortable in year 5. But as a fan you really don't know how it affects the day to day operations, it might be fine. My team is at the opposite end the other way, they are loathe to make changes in assistants to sometimes the detriment of the team.

Comment

There's been some very good and some very bad takes following M's embarrassing loss to Florida in the peach Bowl. Here's a summary of some of the good stuff I've heard.
                          • In response to a question asking why Harbaugh doesn't incorporate more "11 personnel" formations/plays out of that formation (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs) a poster responded (paraphrased), Harbaugh is not an 11 personnel guy and never will be. He was not hired to be that guy. It's like asking Don Brown to run a cover 3, zone defense. Not going to happen. (Here's a link that describes NFL formations using this terminology: http://www.insidethe49.com/football-...-packages-nfl/ )
                          • If nothing else, Harbaugh needs to run live, in game pass plays out of any formation he chooses so that the QB and receivers are comfortable with executing them, when needed, at live game speed, defended by real guys who will hit and tackle them. Black said, "we didn't execute," right? I think that's more a failure to hone passing game skills in live action and from my perspective that just isn't happening enough.
                          • Don Brown needs to mix in more zone coverages. The reason why M's D is bad at it is because Brown rarely runs it.
                          • Harbaugh has to adapt to the CFB landscape which means more spread concepts in his offense. Either that or Michigan football will continue it's downward trend towards national irrelevance.
                          • Harbaugh has consistently been unable to beat top ten teams (1-10) with his approach to Michigan's offense while running said offense to Brown's defense. That defense seems to me to be a one trick pony - fail to get to the QB with an aggressive front 7 and that aggression will get burned. Harbaugh's offense, playing to Brown's defense and STs works fine for most teams in the BIG but not osu and not top non-con teams in post season games. Without changing this questionable approach to the game, Harbaugh will not likely win the BIG or be a regular contender for whatever play-off system CFB ends up with.
                          • There is no reason for elite receivers to want to play for Michigan. Why come here for an opportunity to showcase their skills to NFL scouts when they might get into game action only 2-3X per game and maybe 25X per season. Besides, there's a good chance they'll be splitting small numbers of passes with TEs.
                          • Name five things Jim Harbaugh does well in game preparation or in game management. You can't? Neither can I.
                          • OL play is fundamentally at the heart of Michigan football's problems on offense. All the starters are either 3rd or 4th year guys and have an overall unit grade of 4*s. Still, people are saying they can't pass-protect or run block well? That does not compute.
                          • The appearance of poor OL play is a function of shitty play calling. Everybody including my 7 year old son can tell you what's coming. Post game opponents routinely say, "we know what we are going to get, play to play and in the game overall."
                          • Play calling by committee is bound to fail. If you work in management, tell me if committees work for problem solving, product development or marketing. They don't where I come from. Michigan needs a strong personality as an offensive coordinator. By nature, this speeds up the slow pace of Michigan's offense right out of the gate.
                          • Jim needs to step back and manage his assistants. It is impossible for him to do pod-casts, recruit, meet - greet - and speak with alumni and organizations interested in hearing what he has to say or a number of other non-football related duties he has to take care of as HC. He admittedly doesn't have time to review film during the week. He leaves this to his assistants and yet he feels qualified to have input on play calling in game. Ridiculous. It is obvious that on the sidelines he appears to be detached from the reality of the game if Michigan's play calling reflects that.
                          • Against good teams,when things don't go well on offense or on defense, confusion appears to rear it's ugly head. You can see it in the players and the coaches. You can see some sense in a series of plays that are working against weaker teams but against the good ones, when something goes wrong, recovery mode, in the form of a play or coverage that does make sense, appears to be absent. Whatever wasn't working continues to get called in hopes that it will. Crazy.
                          • Player discontent may be a thing. There have been reports that the recent raft of unexpected transfers and the potential of more to come are over playing time promised but not delivered. There's also a hint that the concept of meritocracy Harbaugh says determines who plays on Saturdays is being corrupted by unrelated factors. Guys working hard and doing well in practice isn't translating to playing time. Performance is highly dependent on incentives to perform. Not delivering on promised rewards is a sure way to undermine organizational moral. Example: kicker Quin Nordin is rumored to have called Harbaugh a mother fucker. The response: Moody is kicking. Reportedly, Zach Gentry was promised a role at QB if he played better than John O'Korn. Some players think he did in practice. Response, O'Korn starts in 2017, plays badly most of the season, Gentry complains about it, patterson is signed and Gentry is moved to TE. A similar situation is suspected surrounding Brandon Peters' disappearance from the QB rotation. It is said he complained to Harbaugh at not getting a shot when O'Korn played poorly in 2017. Response: reports surface that he is injured when it is thought that not to be the case. Go to the back of the line, Brandon.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

I think that last bullet point has legs.

The play call by committee is overblown, you definitely need one person making the call but you are always going to have input on the phones.

Comment

I have to point out on that in the last bullet about potential for discontent, the most detailed report of this was provided by John Henson at Chat Sports. He is a renowned click bate artist. Lots of people doubt his sources and the accuracy of the stuff he reports. There are subsequent reports out there about the Quinn Nordin departure as being refuted by more reliable sources (whoever that might be).

Take it for what it's worth and it is to me mostly post season yapping. I don't put a lot of stock in it but it's fun to talk about it but speculating about locker room discord is less than productive, IMO. I won't put it up here in this forum unless someone else posts it on the web and I can corroborate it from other reliable posters that aren't simply participating in an echo chamber.

The things I'm watching for in the post season, especially after the Super Bowl teams have been decided in late January, are rumors or actual confirmed word of position coaching changes. Harbaugh is well connected with a wide range of NFL guys. We should know pretty quickly if Pep Hamilton, for example, is on the move. That will signal to me that Harbaugh is seeking fresh ideas.

I don't buy that JH can't or won't change his approach to the game. He wants to get better, get over the top by his own admission. He cannot have not felt osu's offense destroy Don Brown's signature defense - the one that is key factor in his offensive approach to the game. He cannot not have seen the dynamism of UF's offense under Mullen among other contenders this season and recognize M's need to be able to compete with them. Just can't.

I also don't think Hamilton is an obstacle. Jim Harbaugh himself is the obstacle to a more dynamic, varied and prolific offense that can win games against quality opponents. I have to believe he is re-evaluating himself and how he does things. To me that means finding fresh minds, fresh ideas and more specifically coaches who have experience with and can coach the spread concepts inherent in 11, 12, 00 and more personnel formations and plays. I also would not doubt that Harbaugh will work with Brown to bring in an assistant defensive mind that understands and can coach zone defense concepts. He can talk to John Beilein about the value of that and I suspect he already has but hasn't acted on those discussion yet. it's time.

If I'm dead wrong about this and Harbaugh signals he is making no changes to his approach on offense and defense by whatever means we as fans can assess change in the air, I'll definitely become less invested, less interested and less involved in M football.

Comment

Harbaugh is the OC, this is his offensive scheme with input from his assistants and OC.

Comment

Working...
                                X