Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offense Pep ran was nearly identical to the one Drevno ran. Pep was hired to run Harbaugh's offense. Gattis' offense at the spring 'game' was very, very different mixing in lots of motion, RPO, quick slants, and crossing routes. I liked the use of h-backs in the backfield (technically 2-back/2x personnel) who were set in motion, causing defenders to defend more of the field horizontally and can be motioned to a slot receiver position like they did with Sainristil a couple times.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• HARBAUGH!!!! running the spread would be like Mr. Rogers doing a break dance...
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The Miles Simms, Vincent Gray saga kind of colors in Jim Harbaugh's approach to recruiting. It's less about finding that one in a million 2* or 3* that becomes an All American and more about how JH seems to find guys that will do the work.

Simms just entered the transfer portal and he is among the list of 2018 class, heralded 4*s to transfer. Gray, OTH, was an after thought 2+ or 3* after M whiffed on higher ranked CBs. But here is Vincent Gray, competing for a true back-up role on the CB 3 deep position behind Long and Hill .........and Simms after comments by Zordich this week that he was talented but inconsistent, bolted. Clearly Gray was ranked higher that Simms in the pecking order of CBs, he knew it and elected to go somewhere else where he could play. Heh for the free agency that the transfer portal provides..... that's another discussion.

Anyway, I'm not saying by any means Harbaugh can turn every rock he finds into gold, but he does seem to have a penchant for sniffing out character that fits the kind of players he wants playing for Michigan. I kind-of like that; admire it.

Still, talent is talent and if you're not getting it and your coaching staff is not developing and retaining it, the guys with character and a can-do spirit are going to get dusted by those with pure and proven football talent on the roster of elite teams with elite coaching staffs.

It's a double edged sword.
          Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 19, 2019, 11:55 AM.
          There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• M under Harbaugh has hit with a high percentage of those 3 star types that are willing to put in the work to get better but it's still an uphill matchup when facing Saban, Kirby, and Dabo's five stars. Harbaugh is going to need elite talent to compete at the CFP level.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
              HARBAUGH!!!! running the spread would be like Mr. Rogers doing a break dance...
              Or like The Wizard actually siring a male child. Its just not possible ...
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Liney 1, The Wizard 0.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• As it should be
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Well damn ........ the spring hype has gotten to me. M's offense is going to be good and so is the D. Not that we haven't heard all of this about the Gattis/Harbaugh relationship already but it keeps coming up in a way that sort of solidifies - puts some meat behind - the hope that after nearly 15 years, Michigan may return to form and win a championship or two in 2019.

I've moved from cautiously pessimistic to cautiously optimistic based on nothing really except what people are saying, what Gattis is saying and what good post spring game analysis from Brian at mgo has said about actually having an RPO game baked into the offense.

Impressed that Gattis calls the offense not "his" but "ours" ...... meaning the players own it. Let's assume that in 2018 there actually was a group of players including Patterson and Higdon that were disgusted with the plays Harbaugh was calling and the system he was running. The best medicine for that would be letting the offensive players be heavily involved in fixing it. Now, I've seen this sort of leadership approach work both ways. When it produces success it can be a huge motivator to continue to improve, win. When things go poorly, the opposite can occur. It's risky. We'll see.

As well, Don Brown seems to the think the DTs are fine. Have to chalk that up as a wait and see ..... I'll believe it when I see a Mo Hurstian disruption of opponent's offenses from the likes of Kwity Paye who DB says may be the best DT in the country, "technically."

Anyway, guilty as charged. I've succumbed to the spring hype and not for the first time in my long history as a M football fan.

JGL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74e1zTFacPI

DB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pl_dnQnmZg

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Defensive tackle is worrisome.. There is no way to replace Devin Bush who was like having a 12th man on the field at times... Devin Gil was a liability last season so him just being decent would be a significant step up...

David Long isn't replaceable either, QB never even tested him. Ambry Thomas is talented enough but he seemed pretty far away last season.

Safety position I expect to be improved, every other position group, worse. Still think M can field a good defense but M's departures were quite significant.

Comment

• I largely agree with the last two posts.

Lots of hype betting on the potential of new guys starting with only potential. AmbryThomas ,Ross and Gill in particular. Mettelus still seems like a liability in Brown's aggressive D unless he makes a leap. Speed generally doesn't do that

Comment

• Ross is a known quantity, he was quite good last season. But he's moving positions to where Devin Bush played... Hopefully the practice hype is correct on Devin Gil though the player I saw last season, I'm hoping a young player at least is competing for PT with him...

Ambry Thomas replacing David Long is likely a huge step down and Hill I don't see being much better than last season. Brandon Watson at nickel was actually pretty good last season except when asked to defend guys man way quicker, faster than him.

Metellus has another year of experience and should be a bit better, potential 2nd team All B1G... Other safety spot was Kinnel who leaves room for improvement. Daxton Hill could play there if he beats out J'Marick Woods.
                            Last edited by WM Wolverine; April 20, 2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

Or like The Wizard actually siring a male child. Its just not possible ...
                              Correct.

jackass

Liney:

hello
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                Liney 1, The Wizard 0.
                                shaddup

Liney scores his first point against Wiz...Wiz still leads 84-1.
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X