Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN MEN'S BASKETBALL- '19-'20: Hello Coach Nook!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    Bennett was the 4th highest paid basketball coach in the NCAA at 4.15 Million. I'm not sure if the title changes his salary structure

Beard's contract is now at 4.575 million per annual with a 3 million dollar buyout.
    Source was:

But also Bennett was rewarded greatly with incentives for winning the NCAA tourney. CNBC didn't account for that.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Texas is going after Yak.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

Source was:
        https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/the-...l-coaches.html

But also Bennett was rewarded greatly with incentives for winning the NCAA tourney. CNBC didn't account for that.
        That source was dependent on USA Today which had Bennett 4th. If you want Bennett or any of the big names, be prepared to spend at least 5 million.

Comment

There's just a shit-ton of meaningless talk out there about JB's replacement. That Shaka intends to interview Yaklich may or may not be accurate. Interesting but I'm not convinced it has a lot meaning in the coaching search.

TBH, I don't have a lot of confidence in Warde Manuel's process. That he signed JB to a contract extension without a buy-out clause makes me feel that way. As Linesman notes, there may be an underlying explanation for that but if Warde signs a Tier II type of guy to replace JB and the program languishes in the aftermath, there will be no excuse. Besides, I don't think Manuel has the chops that Jim Hackett brought to the football coach search that landed Harbaugh. IOW, the crater that's next to the Big House right now is going to be laid squarely at Warde Manuel's feet and rightly so.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

I think the buyout clause is sort of a red herring, I think most college buyout clauses are geared towards going to another college gig, I think going to the pros supersedes any buyout clause for most of the top coaches.. Comparing the Manuel search and Hackett search is a hard comparison, the vaults were open for Harbaugh. The complaint about that Beilein extension is focusing on the wrong part(no buyout), the part that is confusing is the salary they upped Beilein to, 3.8 million is a nice chunk of change but still light if you wanted to fend off any more suitors in my opinion.

Comment

Yeah, but it's one of those things you do just to do. And to cover your bases. Certainly it wouldn't have kept him here if there were a reasonable buyout clause. I don't think more money would have kept Beilein's eyes from wandering. He appears to be very genuinely curious about the NBA because it would allow him to just do Xs and Os and practice, and now he can do that close enough to the grandkids.

IMO the real criticism of Manuel is premature. It looks terrible that everyone was shocked when there was absolutely no reason to be, and it looks terrible that he made no effort to beg for one more year like Martin did with Carr. No shame in doing that, and Spath seems to think it very well could have worked to try and coax him into staying at least one more year. But he can atone for that with an awesome coach hire, and I'm not minded to run with whatever people are feeding to Sam Webb about Shaka Smart and Porter Moser. (No offense to Sam, but he knows he has to allow himself to be fed some lines if he wants to maintain access.)

In the event that Manuel doesn't run a smart search, well, the ultimate scapegoat is the school itself and its magical thinking about athletics. The school strongly desires coaches to retire there routinely fails to do the things that make that happen. Just expects it. The athletic department is the same clown car it's been for a very long time. Hey, it's the offseason. Should we come up with a post-Don Canham list of instances in which the athletic department got something right? Does hiring Harbaugh count? Yes he was the hottest name on the market, but when you need a do-over to hire a guy for his dream job...

Comment

Froot ........makes sense. I think the money cannon is probably loaded. Others think there may be limits to Warde's vault. I also agree with you that comparing the football HC search to the B-ball HC search is hard.

Michigan has B-Ball tradition and all that making it a potentially desirable job but it's not M football level desirable. I think a good case can be made that M B-ball isn't blue blood elite so, the notion among some M fans that M can shake the tree of elite/established coaches and a line will form is wrong headed. There are those "fit" issues that M has too, that, IMO, can get in the way.

I have read that LaVall Jordan (currently the Butler coach and former JB asst.) is getting some attention. Who knows what's up with Shaka Smart but CBs are naming him too.

Anyway, I think your point about over-focusing on the buy-out clause aspects of JB's contract extension and how that might put Warde in a bad light are good ones.
                Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 17, 2019, 11:19 AM.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

I've seen numerous articles about wish lists, I've seen nothing about what they are willing to spend. That is the biggest key in any search, you can run a dumb search but if you are willing to spend big you can get a good candidate. You can say the money cannon is loaded, but to what end, are they willing to go to 6 million? Some of the guys they are talking about seems like a realistic point. They might have thought they were paying Beilein a lot at 3.8 million. Until he left the other day, I gave no thought to how much he was making but in retrospect, the salary upgrade last year looks a little light for the excellent job he did at Michigan.

Hackett ran a good search to bring home Harbaugh but just remember he was armed with a gigantic goodie bag. That means more than just money.

Comment

In saying ``Hackett ran a good search'', did you mean that Michigan required two tries in order to hire the best coach on the market who also happened to view Michigan as his dream job?

I'm skeptical about the money canon too, and I've heard the ``Juwan wouldn't require top dollar'' BS. Michigan loves the idea of elite coaches who would take less to come. It's never been comfortable with aggressive coaching searches. But, also, this has happened quite late in the cycle and quite a few good options are off the board. There's a lot going against this. And there's a very strong risk of flopping about for 5 years or more with a Smart or a Jordan, because this is a football school with a football-school AD. That's why I like Juwan. If it starts to go south on him he can get back on the NBA ladder. Smart or Jordan would cling tenaciously. Fucking Amaker got 7 years here when it was clear before he was hired that it was an iffy idea. Funny that we're now suddenly again maybe hiring a coach based on one hot tournament and nothing else to brag about.

Comment

Juwan Howard or Shaka Smart?

Comment

I'd take Juwan over Shaka but I'm not as sour on Shaka as some. The shine of him that he had 5 years ago has certainly worn off but he has proven he can land some big recruits. Texas has had a top 10 recruiting class from 2016-2019. Put the right guys around him and we've got something.

Comment

Comment

Iggy saying that he is leaning to going pro. That would be a final nut punch.
                            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

And btw....I woudl love Chris Beard to be the next head coach. JB like career and did two years as an assistant under Bob Knight (when he was at Texas Tech). Excellent defensive mind.
                              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Why would Beard leave TT? Plus TTs AD is probably smart enough to include a buyout in his contract...

Of the few candidates with interest, I'd settle for Juwan. Bama did well with Oates, agree on Shaka at Texas. He's really underperformed but he's somehow still has a decent rep.

I've nearly no hope Iggy returns, that disappeared with JB leaving.

Comment

Working...
                                X