Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN MEN'S BASKETBALL- '19-'20: Hello Coach Nook!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by froot loops View Post

That source was dependent on USA Today which had Bennett 4th. If you want Bennett or any of the big names, be prepared to spend at least 5 million.
    https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sal...ketball/coach#
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Every time Iggy opens his mouth he sounds less confident. He's not getting the feedback he wants. Get Howard in place and take a shot at getting him back. I don't know if Howard is a great choice, but the hope that he'd jump back on the NBA ladder if it wasn't working helps me. Smart or Jordan don't have that option.

I'm unclear why everyone loves Jordan. I get that he was here and all, but he's not impressed as an HC so far, even if you factor in it's a small sample size. He was part of a very stale team of assistants by the time he left.

Comment

Howard has no upside. If he sucks he sucks. If he's a great coach then he's off to the NBA.

Just give the job to Yaklich.

Comment

I don't think there is any buy out clause that will stand in the way of Manuel bringing in the guy he really wants. Michigan just sent its entire football team to South Africa for nearly a week for a vacation, and all the bills were paid by outside sources. That had to have a price tag of a couple million dollars, and that may be a conservative guess. If Manuel needs to find money to satisfy a buy out clause of a guy he really wants, the money will be there, and the university won't have to pay a dime of it.

That being said, I'm almost ready to lay money that its going to be Juwan Howard. Big names are speaking in favor of him, and he fills in a lot of boxes on the checklist. I actually think he may be a good recruiter, since he'd be able to relate to players who are being highly recruited, since he was highly recruited himself.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

I think Chris Mullin did it at St. John's with no coaching-experience whatsoever. It was not a success. On the flip-side, Penny Hardaway is killing it right now in Memphis. He was an AAU head coach, Juwan's head coached an NBA Summer League team. I'd give Juwan the edge there, though Penny seems to have made some recruiting connections from being on the circuit. Either that or Memphis is incentivizing their recruits....

Juwan and/or The Fab Five still carries weight with young basketball players. It helps that Jalen is on ESPN all of the time and Webber does games for TNT and CBS.
              Last edited by *JD*; May 18, 2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Penny is getting help according to some familiar with his commits.

Comment

Warde Manuel is meeting with Juwan Howard on Tuesday. Not sure if you can read a lot into that, but its the first interview that we've actually been informed of.

I don't think Howard would be a home-run hire, but it wouldn't be a strike-out either. A lot would depend on how much of Beilein's offense and Yaklich's defense he keeps around. I'm not sure if Yaklich is going to want to hang around and be a second-banana again. Shaka Kahn, or whatever Texas' coach's name is, has reportedly offered him a chance to come to Texas, but he'd be a second banana there too.

It doesn't look like any of the 'big' names are coming. Rick Pitino would be an absolute dumpster fire. We don't need his baggage. ChrisBearde is going to stay at Texas Tech, .. and in his free time he will continue producing children's television programming. Donovan has already said he's staying at OKC, to continue his futility in chasing Golden State.

That pretty much leaves Juwan Howard or LaVall Jordan.

I just hope Howard isn't the Brady Hoke of Michigan Basketball ...

Comment

Comment

• I agree with this. Since I really didn't know shit about the "Beilien Offense" or really much about B-Ball, I started studying it this season, I'd say I have a very fundamental grasp. Given that, I'd say his approach was unique ...... he didn't pursue the big name recruits, shot a bit lower and did a fabulous job of developing talent to run HIS offense.

I've seen opposing comments on Howard's ability to develop talent. I've also seen a consensus that he's more likely to bring a pro-style offense (correct me if I'm wrong) with big men who can go to the basket. Very different approach from Beilien from what I read (Hack, WM, JD?).

What a great face for Michigan sports though. He'd get my vote on that and that he's been both a player and an assistant coach. Has to have some skills there and that he is very well liked in the league is a sound endorsement. The down side is that the probability of mediocrity after Beilien is pretty high - tough act to follow. The upside of that is if he flops at college coaching, say, after 3 years he's not competitive in the BIG, he can easily and gracefully step aside to return to the NBA ...... assuming of course Warde is smart enough to keep his options and connections open post a Howard hire.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• So basically despite the success of UM basketball---the feeling I am getting is as long as the new head coach doesn't bring the NCAA down on them or upstage UM football it is okay. That sounds like a lot of reasoning to that Michigan led to the Tommy Amaker hire. Meh.
                        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Beilein's offense was pretty close to pro-style. The NBA isn't about big men posting up. It's about spacing and 3s just like the college game. Howard may have been a low-post big, but he's been a part of a very modern and forward-thinking coaching staff that's very comfortable all the stuff Beilein loves.

It would be pretty depressing to hire Cooley. Maybe less so without that dinosaur offense, but he apparently makes his name on toughness. If you're Warde Manuel you've had a front-row seat to all the lessons you need on that front. Beilein doesn't emphasize toughness but has had teams that punked MSU. Izzo talks about toughness all the time and devotes precious practice time to it, and yet was not able to consistently field a tougher team. The flexing and scowling is constant, but there's an ingredient he has when he actually wins. Notice THAT. Toughness isn't about the coach, but about the kids he brings in. Manuel has known for at least a year he'd probably need to hire a basketball coach. I'm struggling to find evidence he's been proactive about it, or been thoughtful about it, despite the supposed existence of a candidates list drawn up last year.

Comment

• Thanks for that explanation, Hack .......

I'm becoming more and more an advocate of a Howard hire.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I'm in no way convinced that Manuel is picking from the best possible pool of candidates, but from the pool of names we know, Howard is the clear choice.

Comment

• You'll know its Howard if a presser is scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                X