Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN MEN'S BASKETBALL- '19-'20: Hello Coach Nook!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    Cleveland is a shit job, that part is the baffling part. I get the wanting to be an NBA coach, but lasting success in the NBA is so dependent on the job. To me the Michigan job must have been less appealing to Beilein than it was thought to be.
    I don't think so. I mean we're all just speculating here but I think he just wanted his shot at the NBA. If he had never gotten an offer at the NBA level then he would've retired in Ann Arbor. If he truly just wanted to stay at the college level but felt the UM job was "less appealing" than we thought then he could've had his pick of many other NCAA head coaching jobs. Had he wanted a "more appealing" NCAA job then he could've made one phone call saying that he was available and the line would've formed to the left for his services.
    AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

Yeah, he could've easily put out word for the UCLA job and made a mint to go there.

Comment

You guys might be right but to me he shouldn't have had to put out the word for the UCLA job to make a mint, he should have been making the mint at Michigan in my view.

Comment

He's a three hour drive from the A2 family in one direction and Patrick Beilein and his family in the other. It's just our fucking luck that a very geographically sensible location for him to try this had a fucking vacancy.

Expectations are a complete wildcard now. One day WM may learn to listen to me, as one of us predicted 4-6 regular-season losses this year (), but there's nobody great at the top. MSU's the preseason favorite, and we here have seen enough of that team to know what happens when Izzo's role players are sophmores and not seniors. The offense is going to look a ton better with proper shooting around that P/R, and Teske won't have to fear foul trouble. So much easier to have your question marks on the wing than at PG or C. 6-8 bullets in the chamber to come up with 2 wing starters and a backup. With Beilein, would have been a contender. With Beilein and Iggy would have been the other favorite along with MSU. No sense in predicting anything now. We'll see. There's enough good candidates out there, but also the vibe that Michigan is still a football school and will be unable/unwilling to hire using all the muscle it has.

Even past the longshot guys like Donovan or Stevens or Beard, Juwan isn't just a name/nostalgia candidate, and Yacklich is a great from-within candidate. Even if they decide to cheap out or hide behind the ethics thing, there are some good candidates. I think it'll be hard to make a great hire, but easy to make a good one -- or at least one that looks good come next March.

Comment

Beilein was the 10th-highest paid coach in the country last year.

Comment

The Michigan job would be an ideal spot IF there was a candidate from the NBA that wanted to get back into college ball. Donovan would be a home run, IMO, but I don't think he's sufficiently scratched the NBA itch yet. He had his chance to go an elite program at UCLA, and decided not to. I saw on another site that someone mentioned Celtics coach Brad Stevens, but I think we can forget that right now, because according to Beilein, HE'S the one that encouraged Beilein to make the jump, because he's "having the time of my life". So, scratch Stevens.

This will be Warde Manuel's first big hire. He is saying all the right things about taking time to get it right, and all that, so we'll see how that goes. I'd like to see us be able to find a way to keep Yacklich. He's responsible for making Michigan a better defensive team.

And as for the "Michigan is a football school" thing hindering a new basketball hire, I doubt that will be a problem. Schembechler was the one who killed the possible hire of Rich Pitino back in the day, and I doubt that Harbaugh would do anything like that to ruin a good basketball coach hire. If anything, he'd probably help it along, if he was asked to.
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

There's still a chance that Jalen Wilson and/or Bajema decide to go somewhere else if they don't like the hire. That would be a shame but if we get the right coach, that trumps any player-movement.

Comment

Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                  The Michigan job would be an ideal spot IF there was a candidate from the NBA that wanted to get back into college ball. Donovan would be a home run, IMO, but I don't think he's sufficiently scratched the NBA itch yet. He had his chance to go an elite program at UCLA, and decided not to. I saw on another site that someone mentioned Celtics coach Brad Stevens, but I think we can forget that right now, because according to Beilein, HE'S the one that encouraged Beilein to make the jump, because he's "having the time of my life". So, scratch Stevens.

This will be Warde Manuel's first big hire. He is saying all the right things about taking time to get it right, and all that, so we'll see how that goes. I'd like to see us be able to find a way to keep Yacklich. He's responsible for making Michigan a better defensive team.

And as for the "Michigan is a football school" thing hindering a new basketball hire, I doubt that will be a problem. Schembechler was the one who killed the possible hire of Rich Pitino back in the day, and I doubt that Harbaugh would do anything like that to ruin a good basketball coach hire. If anything, he'd probably help it along, if he was asked to.
                  Say more about tha, please. I've never heard of Bo's involvement past the Frieder/Fisher thing. He wasn't at the U of M in any official capacity in 2001 but I suppose he still could've had some influence.

The story I've heard is that Pitino had accepted the job and put in a call to Bill Martin. Martin was out to lunch or something like that and Pitino's wife changed Rick's mind. Next thing you know, he goes to Louisville and we hire Tommy Amaker.

Speaking of "Rich" Pitino, a friend told me he heard Richard Pitino was a candidate. I'd take a pass on him. At 36 years old, Richard is still young but he hasn't really wowed me at Minnesota. They're pretty much doing what they did when Tubby was there. Make an occasional tourney and not be a real threat for a deep run. They did land one blue-chipper but I think that was more a case of Amir Coffey following in the footsteps of his dad. I'd certainly prefer Saddi or Yak over him and I'd almost rather have Tom Crean. Yuck.
                  Last edited by *JD*; May 14, 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

If offered he would've went to the Pistons, he wanted to be a coach in the NBA and geography and being close to relatives was important to him.

Comment

JD, Schembechler spoke up when Pitino was available before he went to Louisville, and said, "The Basketball Coach at Michigan should NEVER make more than the Football coach". Up until that time, Pitino was rumored to have serious interest in Michigan's opening. (I believe it was before Amaker) About two days after Schembechler said that, Pitino signed with Louisville. Schembechler was not coaching at the time. There was a good chance we could have had Pitino.

Of course, he might have pulled the same crap at Michigan that he did at Louisville, and if so, we'd be on NCAA Probation Part Deux.... so maybe its better Schembechler spoke up after all ...
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

I remember it that way myself re Pitino and Bo, and I worry that that attitude is going to infect this search. Michigan wants to win without doing what it takes to win. But the candidates are there for there to be a hire that's very good if not great.

Comment

Originally posted by hack View Post
                          I remember it that way myself re Pitino and Bo, and I worry that that attitude is going to infect this search. Michigan wants to win without doing what it takes to win. But the candidates are there for there to be a hire that's very good if not great.
                          Who wold you want hack?

I find myself thinking about Chris Beard.
                          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

This is a really interesting survey. Not only does it list just about every conceivable coach to replace JB, but it will give a general sense of who the peanut gallery thinks the best replacement might be. It doesn't have enough data yet because it just came out but it will probably by the end of the day and certainly by Friday.

Cast your votes:

I've created a poll where you can rank the coaching candidates in order of desirability. There are a lot on the list so I suggest you just rank down to Yaklich. This will allow us to create a community "Yachlich Line." https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YWQLGB2 Once this has enough data I will post a diary with some results. Feel free to share with other Michigan fans. Maybe we can provide Warde Manuel a pulse of the fan base. 
                            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Filter that poll with who would be interested and how many names are left? Those are the only names that matter.

Comment

Ask Stevens just in case you catch him at a weak moment, then either Beard or Donovan.

Comment

Working...
                                X