Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWEEP!! Michigan beats the hated Gophers 7-5 earning Red Berenson career victory #800. He is the fourth coach to join the 800 club with Mason, York, and Parker. More importantly Michigan extends it's lead in the conference - albeit early in the season - with a 4-1 record. They have now won 8 of 9 and 10 of 12. Historically, Michigan has used the holiday break and GLI/World Juniors to ready themselves for a great second half. Hopefully, this is one of those years. Red Wings first round draft pick from last year, Dylan Larkin had 3 goals and an assist this weekend. He looks like the real deal. The team is fun to watch and playing great so tune in if you get the chance!

Only 1 game next week at OSU, Friday night on FSD+ and BTN2GO. Then they go to Wisconsin for 2 followed by two with Sparty, the annual game at the Joe followed by an outdoor game at Soldier Field in Chicago.
    Last edited by Mike; January 10, 2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Why are they playing Sparty at Soldier Field?
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• It's part of some outdoor series that started in 2013. Last year it was at Minnesota's football stadium and the Gophers had a double header with their women's team playing the first game. This year Miami and Western play first followed by UM-MSU. I'd guess good seats are still available. There will probably be more people at the Joe the night before.

Comment

• Michigan dropped a 10 spot on OSU last night. For the 2nd game in a row they jumped out to a 4-1 lead after 1 period and led 6-2 at one point early in the 2nd. The top line with Hyman and Larkin (Red Wings first round pick from last year) are legitimate stars.

Up to 14th in Pairwise, 13-7 (5-1) on the year. They are really playing well. Next weekend they are at Wisconsin (2-11-2) for a pair.

Comment

• Michigan scored 6 straight goals after falling behind at Wisconsin 4-1 last night to win 7-4. They've now won 5 straight and 9 of their last 10 to move up to #13 in Pairwise. Game 2 tonight in Madison.

Comment

• I tuned in and watched while Michigan was still down 4-2.

I noticed that even though Michigan was trailing, most of the action seemed to be taking place on Wisconsin's side of the ice.

Comment

• Yeah, I didn't see the game but noticed from the highlights tgat UW scored on 4 of their first 9 shots. Then, at another point, the shots were 33-15 in favor of us. Racine looked rough in goal.

Comment

• 3 of wisconsin's goals were power play goals. UM dominated in the 2nd and 3rd. UW could not get UM out of their zone.

Comment

• Two games in a row Michigan has taken a 5 minute boarding penalty and both times the opponent scored twice on the ensuing PP. Fortunately, they have scored 24 goals in their last 3 games

Comment

• Hockey team now leads Wisconsin 4-0

Comment

• 6-0 win for the sweep. WTF has become of Wisconsin hockey? Now 2-15-3 on the season. Michigan moves to 7-1 in Big Ten play, 15-7 overall. Single games with MSU the next two weekends.

Comment

• Brian Cook -- calling for Red Berensen to go after a series sweep by Penn State.

3/6/2015 – Michigan 4, Penn State 6 – 19-12, 11-6 Big Ten 3/7/2015 – Michigan 3, Penn State 4 – 19-13, 11-7 Big Ten twilight (not that twilight) [Patrick Barron] A few years back I wrote something about a pivotal series against Miami that felt both correct and histrionic simultaneously. Michigan was swept 4-2 and 3-0, dumb penalties piled up like Lions mistakes with the Suh contract, and it felt like there was something gone from the program: So this is definitely an overreaction: that kind of felt like the beginning of the end of the Red Berenson era. I know what the instant reaction to that thought is because I had it too, but after I recoiled at the thing it sat there leering and never scoring any goals it appeared to mean. It's still there. It's horned and pitchforked. It's eating all my cheese dip. I hate it. It knows this, does not care, and refuses to leave. Michigan proceeded to advance to the national championship game, so I may have pulled the trigger slightly early. But that feeling turned out to be correct, give or take a year. The next year one-seed Michigan was unceremoniously bounced from the tourney by Cornell in the first round; they have not been back since. Their absence has grown more dispiriting and infuriating as it's lengthened. When Michigan started their slippery slope, they finished seventh in the CCHA only to storm through the tourney, beating #1 Miami on the way, before falling to those same Redhawks when every Michigan fan's "rule most likely to lead to homicide"—a goal waved off because the referee can't see the puck—came to fruition in overtime. A couple years later they turned around a dismal season about halfway through, reaching the CCHA finals. There they found a very good Notre Dame team that beat them comprehensively in terms of attack time and chances, with the usual vagaries of hockey holding Michigan in it. Last year all they had to do was beat Penn State, nascent, fledgling Penn State, in the Big Ten tournament to all but guarantee themselves an at-large berth. They lost in two overtimes to a team that was 8-25-2 on the year, allowing 65 shots—44 in regulation. This year they approached Happy Valley in first place in the league, an at-large bid within their grasp, and they blew it. They were down 3-0 and 4-2 in games they'd lose, and this is now their situation: Gross weekend. Per http://t.co/9RVMXcI80e, chances of making tourney now 25%, 1% without winning B1G Tournament. Just 45% to get a bye. — Yost Built (@YostBuilt) March 8, 2015 On the one hand you can't be surprised. Michigan has been playing with fire with sloppy goaltending and guys wandering through the slot unchecked all year. It's tough to get points when you give up five goals per game. On the other… how the hell did we get here? Michigan had a 22-year (22 year!) tourney streak during which it was mostly impervious to these sorts of wobbles. We should be grateful for that. Minnesota, BC, North Dakota—every one of these programs had a year or three in which they were inexplicably bad. Michigan avoided that for an astoundingly long period of time. No longer, and there's a pretty easy proximate cause to point to: YEAR M RECORD M TOURNEY MEL TECH RECORD TECH TOURNEY 2008 33-6-4 frozen four M 14-20-5 no 2009 29-12 first round M 6-25-7 no 2010 26-18-1 second round M 5-30-1 no 2011 29-11-4 finalists M 4-30-4 no 2012 24-13-4 first round Tech 16-19-4 no 2013 18-19-4 no Tech 13-20-4 no 2014 18-13-4 no Tech 14-19-7 no 2015 19-13 must win BTT Tech 26-8-2 #5 PWR Mel Pearson left for Michigan Tech after the 2010-11 season and immediately made them competitive; this year they're damn good. The above chart probably sells it short since it only goes back four years before the change. That middling year from the Huskies is a major outlier amongst even more seasons with 4, 5, 6 wins. Meanwhile, Michigan was rampant. Even when Michigan beat Tech in the GLI, they were under siege for most of it, getting outshot 41-21. The series in Houghton was simply not competitive. Michigan was at ful strength; goals were 10-3 Tech. The inverse of that used to be the expectation for a Michigan versus Tech series. Berenson's contract has one more year on it, and when it was signed he said it was almost certainly his last. I can't see any way that's not the case, and if Hackett has the stones to make a change now (I cannot believe I am saying this…) it might be time. In another situation with an unclear candidate pool, the argument for waiting would be stronger. With Pearson available and acting out the best-case scenario for Tech hockey, if you can get it done now that's a move you have to make. Maybe Michigan wins the Big Ten tourney; maybe they outscore their mistakes for a bit in the tournament. The direction the arrow is pointing is clear enough even in that hypothetical scenario.

Can't say I disagree. He's the Bobby Bowden/JoePa of the sport But everyone eventually loses their best stuff.

Comment

• Yep. That's one of the reasons losing that title game in 2011 was so bad. He might have retired right then but it seems he wanted to try to hang around and get one more national championship. Mel Pearson is the obvious choice to replace him. He's essentially the Jim Harbaugh-type choice to lead the hockey program going forward. On a list of the top 5 candidates to replace Red, Pearson occupies the first 4.

We also can't overlook the impact of two straight top-shelf goalie commits bolting on signing day. That's why their games look like they're in the Smythe Division of the 1980s.
                            Last edited by Mike; March 9, 2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• Michigan is a 5-3 winner tonight at Munn against the fucking pricks. It's very simple now. One game remains at home against Sparty. Win and they are Big Ten champs.

Comment

• Red should have retired 5 years ago. Hope he retires now.

He did play for Team Canada in the 1972 Soviet Summit series against Russia, a game or two which meant he was a top-10 centermen in the world at the time.

Not sure how he survived pissgate, he is from Saskatchewan like Gordie!
                                "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

Working...
                                X