Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimmerman is exactly what M needs to replace McGary, Horford and company...

Class of '15 is relatively critical, much more so than '14 where I feel M's didn't have a lot of true immediate 'needs' in '14. I hope they land the two Jalen's who are PG/SG along with a C/PF type, Zimmerman would be ideal but he's a longshot.

Comment

• Are there known Plan B players if/when Zimmerman turns us down?

Comment

• M did take Doyle in '14 and Donnal in '13 so they aren't without an interior type player, I just don't see anyone with a McGary, Zimmerman type upside on the roster...

M doesn't offer kids unless they visit campus so I really don't see anyone on M's radar. I'm sure they are recruiting kids PF/C types I'm unaware of that Oracle or JD might even know of.

Comment

• I don't know WM. UM needs size, particularly "fast size". Both Doyle and Donnal are "slow size". McGary is "fast size".

It is amazing how much our expectations have risen in the last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
            I don't know WM. UM needs size, particularly "fast size". Both Doyle and Donnal are "slow size". McGary is "fast size".

It is amazing how much our expectations have risen in the last year.
            Is Donnal slow? I thought he was quite athletic.
            The Lions went 11-5 in 2014

Comment

• Doyle looks to be a plodder; dunno about Donnal. Fast size and slow -- yeah, that's a great way to put it, and I agree.

Comment

• In JB's offense, he really only uses 1 'big' most the time and only a second when he feels it's needed. That style has it's advantages and disadvantages but the need for 'bigs' is overrated unless you don't like the talent level of Donnal, Bielfeldt ('11 but redshirted) & Doyle. I don't have much of a good read on Donnal but don't care for Doyle much...

I see a need for a big in '15 but I can see the staff passing unless they can get an 'elite' like Zimmerman. They are going hard after both guard spots; pg/sg which they'll need, not sure how many scholarship they'll have available after they get their guards.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                  Are there known Plan B players if/when Zimmerman turns us down?
                  Diamond Stone is supposed to be a Michigan target. His game and athleticism seems to be in the Zack Randolph range.

As far as I know, there aren't any offers out to 2015 bigs. I thought Stone had visited sometime last year but I'm not sure.

Comment

• In addition to Zimmerman and Stone, umhoops has two other highly rated bigs as Michigan targets:

Michigan Wolverines Basketball Recruiting, News & Video

It's a good thing that McGary is back, so they can see what a talented big can do in Beilein's offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                      In JB's offense, he really only uses 1 'big' most the time and only a second when he feels it's needed. That style has it's advantages and disadvantages but the need for 'bigs' is overrated unless you don't like the talent level of Donnal, Bielfeldt ('11 but redshirted) & Doyle. I don't have much of a good read on Donnal but don't care for Doyle much...

I see a need for a big in '15 but I can see the staff passing unless they can get an 'elite' like Zimmerman. They are going hard after both guard spots; pg/sg which they'll need, not sure how many scholarship they'll have available after they get their guards.
                      1. This year he's talked of playing with 2 bigs in the paint.

2. Careful with the idea of confusing a 4 who can shoot with a 4 who is not ``big''. Beilein's offense, historically, doesn't require a smaller 4. It requires a 4 who can make 3s. He'll put a smaller player in that slot, like he did last year, but it doesn't seem like, by design, that's the kind of player he wants there. Nor should it be. That player still needs to have paint strength. After last year's Big Ten season Beilein seems to feel that way more than ever.

3. Even were it true that only one big is necessary, that makes it that much more important for that big to be a player. Donnal isn't it. He's the stretch 4. Beilfeldt is unlikely to ever see serious minutes. Doyle might turn out, but he's a slow big, not a fast one. (Again, thanks Geezer. Great way to put it.)

4. All that aside, the notion of the need for bigs being overrated is about as alien as anything that can be said in a basketball context. This game is about the paint. Last year's Michigan team in the tournament was a case study in what a difference a dynamic big makes. As it was how foul trouble impacts bigs. In both Final Four games McGary struggled with foul trouble and was far less effective with 3 fouls or 4.
                      Last edited by hack; November 23, 2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                        In addition to Zimmerman and Stone, umhoops has two other highly rated bigs as Michigan targets:

Michigan Wolverines Basketball Recruiting, News & Video

It's a good thing that McGary is back, so they can see what a talented big can do in Beilein's offense.
                        I think that Elijah kid was based on some sorta offhand mention more than anything else. Gotta get Zimmerman on campus.

Comment

• That article also has some news on Hatch. He is going to play HS ball this year in CA where he lives with his uncle. He hasn't played since June of 2011. If there is ever a case where a kid should get a scholarship that doesn't count toward the 15 limit, it is Hatch. Gotta admire JB. But I'll say again, this was Hatch's family's second private plane crash. I suspect he is financially well off, at least well-of enough to pay his own way if he cannot get a medical scholarship.

Comment

• Thanks for the link to M's un-offered targets; JD. A few new names to me on that list, some will most certainly be offered if they visit AA...

Agree with much of what you say, hack though you overstate your case about my comment that I think doesn't happen, that being M not going after a 'big' in '15 unless it's one they really like.

Comment

• Well I certainly don't think they should be taking any Plan C targets. Go for the big ones -- Michigan has to aim high -- and have some value guys picked out among the four stars and three stars. But don't reach if you strike out, no.

Comment

• It will be interesting to see how the Austin Daye-clone, D.J. Wilson fills out. He's 6'9" so he could end up being an interior player.

Comment

Working...
                                X